• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
September Discobs 2024

George BM

Pretty heavy nocturnal rain shower in up nw. In fact, very heavy. Saw some flashes of lightning earlier but didn't hear thunder. 

Used to own some property in Western NC, near Highlands. I would not want to be there for the next 48 hours. There are some rather hairy mountain roads around there; I can't imagine trying to negotiate them in the kind of conditions they're forecasting. And it's not too often you see Eastern WFOs talk about the possibilities of landslides.

Hate to say it...but the radar this morning is giving me June 2006 vibes with the linear and training look. It is POURING here right now. If there's not some dissipation or movement of the firehose - there's going to be issues this morning....

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Hate to say it...but the radar this morning is giving me June 2006 vibes with the linear and look. It is POURING here right now. If there's not some dissipation or movement of the firehose - there's going to be issues this morning....

Yeah, usually this kind of overnight activity is one and done. This is the third period of heavy rain in an hour or so. I think this is related to the PRE to our south that's setting the table for the dangerous flooding in the southern Apps from the tropical system.  I'd call it a PRE here but it seems decidedly uncertain at this point just how much of Helene's remnants affect the *immediate* DC weather.

21 minutes ago, 09-10 analogy said:

Yeah, usually this kind of overnight activity is one and done. This is the third period of heavy rain in an hour or so. I think this is related to the PRE to our south that's setting the table for the dangerous flooding in the southern Apps from the tropical system.  I'd call it a PRE here but it seems decidedly uncertain at this point just how much of Helene's remnants affect the *immediate* DC weather.

Seems a little less dramatic than it looked earlier. But it was still coming down pretty hard on my morning Dunkin run. 

2 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Seems a little less dramatic than it looked earlier. But it was still coming down pretty hard on my morning Dunkin run. 

I have an issue with water seepage in my basement, and am a firm believer in the superstition that if you mention something unpleasant enough, it won't happen, so every time there's a heavy rain, then like Pavlov's dogs, I drool "June 2006." 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 09-10 analogy said:

I have an issue with water seepage in my basement, and am a firm believer in the superstition that if you mention something unpleasant enough, it won't happen, so every time there's a heavy rain, then like Pavlov's dogs, I drool "June 2006." 

The weather just likes making a mockery out of us amateur forecasters and such. If I tell my friends 2-4 inches of snow, it will either be nothing or 6+...if I tell them thunderstorms, they'll all miss. Always the same. We have a pretty toxic hobby ;)

44 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Quarter of an inch this morning.  Will take it, but somehow just another “miss”.  

We may have gotten a little less than you, but either way I'm getting kind of tired of the clouds and precip. We certainly can use it, but it's just draaaaaaaaaaaaaagging out now...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mattie g said:

We may have gotten a little less than you, but either way I'm getting kind of tired of the clouds and precip. We certainly can use it, but it's just draaaaaaaaaaaaaagging out now...

Yeah, and it'll stick this way until Helene gets cleared in a week.

I can complain about our relative low spot in relation to others, but it is amazing how AA and Calvert have continuously been missed this summer/fall.

2041209441_Screenshot2024-09-26075115.thumb.png.6281bc49c717e46dbbef43464b098b17.png

• Like 1