Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
September vibes - Last 90s for some, 1st frost for others

tamarack

12 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The same can be said over dark clouds in the summeh. It thunders and bolts every year… but folks percolate and begin traveling hundreds of miles for a 5% chance at filming a brief downburst on their tripods. 

To each their own…  

Don't forget overestimating gusts by 75%.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

I can understand if you're from an area where that doesn't happen, it would be really cool to see. But if you live here...there is no appeal and they're an inconvenience when they fall. You have to clean them, they're slippery when wet, and they clog storm drains. They also mark up the cars. 

One can say almost the same things about snow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

Let’s see how things look in about 3-3.5 weeks?  If at that time the color is lousy, then we can say the foliage sucked this year.   Until it peaks…the jury is out on how this year turns out. 

Last year it was muted until the last week or so before it peaked here, and then it came alive.    

There is some great color on certain branches of the sugar maples around here.  (Like one branch has turned, and the rest of the tree is green.) If the entire tree follows suit, it will be great.  Otherwise, outside of a few yellows and browns and dirty crimsons, it's still pretty green.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, I always wonder what folks would do if they saw legit 50-60mph gusts in like wooded New England.

I love the “gusts to 45 or maybe 50!” and like all obs are like 28mph.

Last Dec 18 we had 4 hours of gusts that I guesstimated as ~50 mph.  At least half of the larger fir on our 80-acre woodlot were toppled, along with some aspen and a defective large basswood.  Also, 2 of our 120-foot-tall pines had their tops blown off.  The basswood and 3 of the fir fell across our road and our Generac had a 101-hour workout.   I'm confident that an anemometer at 10 meters would've topped out below 40 but the 75-foot fir and those scattered big pines were catching a lot faster wind.
Three months earlier we had 3 hours of ~40 mph gusts from Lee (and 0.02" RA compared to 4.21" in Dec), and the only tree damage was breaking off the 2nd fork from one of the tall pines and dumping a couple of defective fir, along with 2 hours of genny.
50 is a lot more real than 40.  Hours of gusts 60 would wreck the woodlot - mine and many others'.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Last Dec 18 we had 4 hours of gusts that I guesstimated as ~50 mph.  At least half of the larger fir on our 80-acre woodlot were toppled, along with some aspen and a defective large basswood.  Also, 2 of our 120-foot-tall pines had their tops blown off.  The basswood and 3 of the fir fell across our road and our Generac had a 101-hour workout.   I'm confident that an anemometer at 10 meters would've topped out below 40 but the 75-foot fir and those scattered big pines were catching a lot faster wind.
Three months earlier we had 3 hours of ~40 mph gusts from Lee (and 0.02" RA compared to 4.21" in Dec), and the only tree damage was breaking off the 2nd fork from one of the tall pines and dumping a couple of defective fir, along with 2 hours of genny.
50 is a lot more real than 40.  Hours of gusts 60 would wreck the woodlot - mine and many others'.

Yes and please 

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 2
  • 100% 2

10 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

yeah, maybe ... and perhaps that is true for all that use pain killers.  there's not as much science to back that up as the other, tho

but there's definitely statistical correlation between cte and latter life onset of parkinsonism, and football is definitely among the list of sports described as contact.  that's damning enough

no one is jumping to conclusions.  perhaps if you've ever read anything that scopes outside of your myopic impression of reality you might have a fuckin' clue enough to stop you from being passively hostile and asssholier than thou toward those that do.  the correlation and possible causation is not my conclusion -

you’re funny. I’m just surprised you didn’t attribute his Parkinson’s to CC in a 10,000 word soliloquy that no one will read

• Crap 1

33 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Because that’s thru the morning. Are we really relying on a line of storms to verify in late Septorcher? That map you posted is about what I’ve been thinking . Pike north is soaked and south is screwed in a general sense . 

Septorcher…what state you living in Kev?  There’s been nothing torch about it in SNE. Been a very comfortable month. 

• Like 2

Torch!

NOTES:
# LAST OF SEVERAL OCCURRENCES

COLUMN 17 PEAK WIND IN M.P.H.
Torch!

PRELIMINARY LOCAL CLIMATOLOGICAL DATA (WS FORM: F-6) , PAGE 2

STATION:   GRAY ME
                                          MONTH:     SEPTEMBER
                                          YEAR:      2024
                                          LATITUDE:   43 53 N      
                                          LONGITUDE:  70 15 W                   

[TEMPERATURE DATA]      [PRECIPITATION DATA]       SYMBOLS USED IN COLUMN 16    

AVERAGE MONTHLY: 63.0   TOTAL FOR MONTH:   0.05    1 = FOG OR MIST              
DPTR FM NORMAL:   0.8   DPTR FM NORMAL:   -3.34    2 = FOG REDUCING VISIBILITY  
HIGHEST:    82 ON 18,17  GRTST 24HR  0.03 ON 20-20      TO 1/4 MILE OR LESS      
LOWEST:     46 ON 23, 9       

• Like 1