• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
September vibes - Last 90s for some, 1st frost for others

tamarack

We installed solar on our house about 11 years ago. I've been extremely happy with it. We bought the system outright so we own the panels and all the power they generate. I wouldn't recommend doing the lease that some were talking about this morning.

Between the lower electric bills and the money we make by selling the "renewable energy credits" on the market, we've easily paid them off. Overall, I'm definitely happy with the purchase.

Also ...even after all this time, I haven't noticed any diminished production due to the age of the panels.

• Like 3
  • 100% 3

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

obviously it's relative to personal economics but ... fwiw, my out of pocket came to 4,500 ...

the total cost was 14,500 ... which i did front, but ( provided the house/edifice meets some pretty basic home energy efficiency requirements) the rebate program was no bullshit.  10 large came back within 7 weeks of the project completion - so you get 10 K in a check about a mo and a half later.

i'm pretty sure it's a state thing ?   so being a massivetwoshits resident ...etc.  

just sayn'

For central air we'd have to do all the roughing in first and then the condensers etc. Probably over 30K. Maybe less for mini splits, but I'm having trouble figuring out where to put the downstairs one. I also don't want those plastic 4" conduits running all over my outside walls. I know there are big state credits. I could do it, just not at the moment. Need a new fence and siding first. 

57 minutes ago, butterfish55 said:

We installed solar on our house about 11 years ago. I've been extremely happy with it. We bought the system outright so we own the panels and all the power they generate. I wouldn't recommend doing the lease that some were talking about this morning.

Between the lower electric bills and the money we make by selling the "renewable energy credits" on the market, we've easily paid them off. Overall, I'm definitely happy with the purchase.

Also ...even after all this time, I haven't noticed any diminished production due to the age of the panels.

same experience here, installed 8 years ago.  we also own the system outright and the power they produce.  Leasing the panels just puts the majority of the monetary benefits into someone else's pockets

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

For central air we'd have to do all the roughing in first and then the condensers etc. Probably over 30K. Maybe less for mini splits, but I'm having trouble figuring out where to put the downstairs one. I also don't want those plastic 4" conduits running all over my outside walls. I know there are big state credits. I could do it, just not at the moment. Need a new fence and siding first. 

if you do the AC first they can run the line sets inside the walls, and the new siding covers everything up

• Like 3
  • 100% 1

3 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

Central air the way to go…or mini splits also.  The days of messing with window units have been long gone for me.  Once you have Central…you’ll wonder how you ever went without it imo. 

Our kids/grandkids had central air both in Decatur, IL and in SNJ, and it's very nice.  At my location it would be gross overkill.  Our heat pump is all the AC we need, and that's why we bought it.  With 5 cords of wood on the ready, we'll not use it for heating unless we both become unable to stoke the Jotul.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, butterfish55 said:

We own ours also; get 120/month selling sun back to the grid, have a zero interest loan on the panels, and every night as needed, can plug in the electric truck and filler-up with off peak, discounted electrons.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Our kids/grandkids had central air both in Decatur, IL and in SNJ, and it's very nice.  At my location it would be gross overkill.  Our heat pump is all the AC we need, and that's why we bought it.  With 5 cords of wood on the ready, we'll not use it for heating unless we both become unable to stoke the Jotul.

Agree; the heat pump is more than enough, and despite the hot, humid July we used it sparingly in our main room, and also in the laundry area because the washer balks when the sweat index gets up too high. But heating with them as we need to partially do, is pretty expensive even though we also heat with wood. Leaky old mill houses like ours take their toll on the heating bill

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

brett favre diagnosed with Parkinson's 

... cte correlation - another argument for keeping one's kids out of contact sports. 

What about the pain killers that he has been addicted to forever? any correlation there? I mean, if we are jumping to conclusions might as well include that little tidbit

I do think the extremely dry September is having an effect on the foliage so far.  Vegetation seems stressed with more muted yellow/golds and faded oranges.

We have some welcomed rains coming in over the next 24-48 hours that hopefully can give the foliage a shot at more vibrancy.  Peak foliage is usually the first two weeks of October at most mid-slope and lower elevations, so we still have some time.

Either way, it’s still a beautiful time of year and trying to judge the colors year-to-year can be like splitting hairs. Autumn is a soulful vibe regardless. We’ll see where it goes from here.

1D48057A-2086-41C7-A40C-7C483373E1B2.thumb.jpeg.cf48a4018d7bb055d0f5a9a33b2210c1.jpeg

• Like 8

9 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I do think the extremely dry September is having an effect on the foliage so far.  Vegetation seems stressed with more muted yellow/golds and faded oranges.

We have some welcomed rains coming in over the next 24-48 hours that hopefully can give the foliage a shot at more vibrancy.  Peak foliage is usually the first two weeks of October at most mid-slope and lower elevations, so we still have some time.

Either way, it’s still a beautiful time of year and trying to judge the colors year-to-year can be like splitting hairs. Autumn is a soulful vibe regardless. We’ll see where it goes from here.

1D48057A-2086-41C7-A40C-7C483373E1B2.thumb.jpeg.cf48a4018d7bb055d0f5a9a33b2210c1.jpeg

Don’t tell @WinterWolf. His area is vibrant he said 

• Haha 1