Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
September vibes - Last 90s for some, 1st frost for others

tamarack

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah, I mean whether it’s heating or cooling, if you are financially able to there's really no reason why you shouldn't be comfortable in your own house.

I do get the window A/C units, they used to annoy the hell out of me.  

However, I will say since putting in the mini-splits here... I do not give a f*ck... I'll turn that thing on at least excuse possible.  If its a bit chilly, turn it on to add a bit of heat to the living room or bedroom.  If I'm a bit warm, I'm turning it on to dehumidify mode or cooling mode.  Even at mid-summer peak humidity in July, the cost was so minimal a month to have it cold enough you could wear a hoodie inside while it was 85/70 outside :lol:.

Central AC is another thing too... quiet and cool.  I'd be running that all the time in the summer if I had it.

Mini splits and central AC are great.  But I think some get off and consider it a badge of honor to be earlier in uninstallation. In this warming world those days get later and later, but some won’t accept it.

52 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Mini splits and central AC are great.  But I think some get off and consider it a badge of honor to be earlier in uninstallation. In this warming world those days get later and later, but some won’t accept it.

unsure of other people's baggage but for me ... it's purely a war against ngrid

my house is not large.  2 br upstairs, and just a small kitchen, living area and 1 full bath.   yet, despite this small footprint was costing me 550 to as much as 800 $ a month from roughly mid nov to mid mar for electricity.  the place is all electric.   heat (baseboard resisters - ouch!) ... hot water ... stove ... fridge ...  not much i can do about the stove as gas isn't accessible without town-scaled zoning/sponsored infrastructural digging

after a bit of research it's become quite suspicious that recent hikes in both provider and delivery costs by these macro providers ( ngrid being one of those..) are more likely attempting to deflect incoming revenue losses.   larger and larger areas of both residential and commercial are converting to renewable greener energy sources, and that has begun to cut into the previous model glut of these macro grid supplying, economic testicle gripper power providers  (rhymes and alliterations on purpose!)

so they've been cooking up these reasons for having to raise prices ... when the real motivation is to transfer their losses someplace else:  the customers.

that may be an over simplification ... or not even right, but it's a bad look for the likes of the ngrid lords.  long of the short ... with mini splits being several factors more efficient than base board heating, and combining the solar installation that's hopefully happening ( pending roof structural engineering recommendations ...), at least my balls will be less in "ngrip"'s vice -

• Like 3
  • 100% 1

30 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

unsure of other people's baggage but for me ... it's purely a war against ngrid

my house is not large.  2 br upstairs, and just a small kitchen, living area and 1 full bath.   yet, despite this small footprint was costing me 550 to as much as 800 $ a month from roughly mid nov to mid mar for electricity.  the place is all electric.   heat (baseboard resisters - ouch!) ... hot water ... stove ... fridge ...  not much i can do about the stove as gas isn't accessible without town-scaled zoning/sponsored infrastructural digging

after a bit of research it's become quite suspicious that recent hikes in both provider and delivery costs by these macro providers ( ngrid being one of those..) are more likely attempting to deflect incoming revenue losses.   larger and larger areas of both residential and commercial are converting to renewable greener energy sources, and that has begun to cut into the previous model glut of these macro grid supplying, economic testicle gripper power providers  (rhymes and alliterations on purpose!)

so they've been cooking up these reasons for having to raise prices ... when the real motivation is to transfer their losses someplace else:  the customers.

that may be an over simplification ... or not even right, but it's a bad look for the likes of the ngrid lords.  long of the short ... with mini splits being several factors more efficient than base board heating, and combining the solar installation that's hopefully happening ( pending roof structural engineering recommendations ...), at least my balls will be less in "ngrip"'s vice -

Around here most of those solar programs that install panels at no cost to the homeowner require you to send the electricity you generate back to the "macro grid" company.  They give you a credit on your bill based on whatever weird calculations they use.  But if the electric company is getting all these homes to provide energy that they no longer have to generate themselves, you have to wonder why the rates wouldn't be going down.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

What is your temperature threshold for turning the AC on?

I know everybody’s different but I don’t even consider AC until it’s 80s outside.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

First week? Must be a lot of smelly and sticky sheets. I’ve run it as recently as a few days ago.

We're 80 miles NNE from Waterboro, and haven't seen temps above 80 or dews taller than low 60s (and only 2-3 days >60) since August 5.  The heat pump has been idle since then.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Not sold yet on solar up here after my SIL had her evaluation last week, I don't particularity care to be locked in on a contract for 25yrs as well as still paying a electric bill monthly.

Same reason why I haven't done it too.  Based on the terms, I may as well buy the system myself and pay to finance it over time with the money I save on the electric bill.  At least the power I would generate is mine, and I would be free to use the system as a backup power source in an outage...which none of those government incentive programs would offer.  I was like--wait.  I would have a renewable energy source right on my roof, but if there is a power outage I can't use it and all my lights go out too?!  That would just piss me off a little too much, thanks.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Not sold yet on solar up here after my SIL had her evaluation last week, I don't particularity care to be locked in on a contract for 25yrs as well as still paying a electric bill monthly.

I shudder to think how many trees I'd have to dump before solar would be efficient here.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

What is your temperature threshold for turning the AC on?

I know everybody’s different but I don’t even consider AC until it’s 80s outside.

It's mostly night that determines. 80s and low dews work during day. At night house stays warm. Need 50s at night to turn AC off.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, wx_observer said:

Same reason why I haven't done it too.  Based on the terms, I may as well buy the system myself and pay to finance it over time with the money I save on the electric bill.  At least the power I would generate is mine, and I would be free to use the system as a backup power source in an outage...which none of those government incentive programs would offer.  I was like--wait.  I would have a renewable energy source right on my roof, but if there is a power outage I can't use it and all my lights go out too?!  That would just piss me off a little too much, thanks.

that's really more in line with what i dream of doing.   the battery tech is what kills you in that expenditure but given that's doable, an a.c/d.c converter off said battery sys that 'flops' surplus back into the grid, that is what i ultimately wanted. 

but, alas ... my roof space is too small to make that work for self-sufficiency.  i don't have enough space of there.  the property is also not able to fit for supplementing with ancillary panels in the yard ...etc. 

so, all things considered, vastly improved home heating and cooling tech combined with what generation i can muster with a smaller sized solar array was the best option for this location

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

I shudder to think how many trees I'd have to dump before solar would be efficient here.

Yeah, I don't think it would be very good for you at all with having to remove a number of trees, Myself, The roof that the panels would go on face west and is in the sun all day from sun up until sundown and would be able to generate max efficiency, Had someone a month or two ago was walking around the neighborhood and stopped over to talk to me about solar as he said i noticed the way your roof is positioned, It would be very beneficial to do solar, I asked him if he had a business card, He said he had a digital one, I thought i snapped a pic of it but didn't, So i couldn't research them more or know what company he represented.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Central air the way to go…or mini splits also.  The days of messing with window units have been long gone for me.  Once you have Central…you’ll wonder how you ever went without it imo. 

My condo had it, but this house I am in now does not. Probably will do mini splits or something like that one day. But it will cost a fortune.

58 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Going to go mini split route next spring first, Plenty of incentive rebates up here for that and shit can 3 window and one wall mounted A/C unit, Already went to a more efficient boiler a few years back and am saving on oil, Get rid of the install/uninstall yearly.

We put a new high efficiency heating/ac unit in this house but the house we build up in Maine will be just mini-splits with on demand hot water.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

My condo had it, but this house I am in now does not. Probably will do mini splits or something like that one day. But it will cost a fortune.

obviously it's relative to personal economics but ... fwiw, my out of pocket came to 4,500 ...

the total cost was 14,500 ... which i did front, but ( provided the house/edifice meets some pretty basic home energy efficiency requirements) the rebate program was no bullshit.  10 large came back within 7 weeks of the project completion - so you get 10 K in a check about a mo and a half later.

i'm pretty sure it's a state thing ?   so being a massivetwoshits resident ...etc.  

just sayn'

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Love you @MaineJayhawk  :wub:

Haha!   It was a pleasant last three weeks of August - the warmer days were offset by nights in the 50s and dewpoints were kept in check.  Open the windows and let the natural a/c in.  Now it is just getting too cold to have them in and nothing in the forecast would seem to warrant their use

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

How timely of a topic as we switched to solar here at work for all three of our buildings. One of manufacturing bldgs has been mostly shut down since June and yet we're still racking up a bill of $29,000 for the month with 179,000Kwh used. It's not usually my job to investigate this, but I was suspicious and contacted Nautilus Solar and when you look at their bills they don't even break down the supply and delivery charge yet say we locked into a 20yr contract at a fixed rate. Co worker says we locked at 0.09, but simple math says we're paying 0.15/Kwh. I asked Nautilus why they don't show the detail in their bills and they said "that's how we do the bills". Sure. We're still investigating, but I don't trust  these these solar communities

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Man what an awfully boring pattern. God.

it's my one patience challenge that i battle with, this constant ne llv feed deals.

high pressure n-ne of us is working on 7 consecutive days and it won't relent the llv cold feed until that abates. it's just exhaustingly barren of interest, while and also stealing precious remaining time, tries to close the book on outdoor season prematurely while doing so -   meaningless.  

these transition seasons in new england are really ... you know, if i had my druthers, i'd be traveling now and in aprils

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

it's my one patience draw out that i battle with, this constant ne llv feed deals.

high pressue n-ne of us is working on 7 consecutive days and it won't relent the llv cold feed until that abates. it's just exhaustingly barren of interest, while and also stealing precious remaining time, tries to close the book on outdoor season prematurely while doing so -   meaningless.  

I'm quite skeptical on solar, There is a poster from CT i think that does renewable energy stuff for a living that is very knowledgeable but i don't remember his name.