• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
September vibes - Last 90s for some, 1st frost for others

tamarack

Was up in Wonalancet yesterday for a nice hike along a stream with guys I’ve been hiking with for 50 years.  Actually was decently warm.  I was staying in Wakefield and by the time we got there for dinner it was lightly raining.  I drove home last night snd rain increased once south of the Merrimack.  Pouring when I got home.  It’s trying to clear today but the garden got a nice long drink yesterday.

• Like 5

It’s been a long time since we’ve had the Stein landscape ..burned out lawns . Leaves browning and falling prematurely.. since 2022 . But man.15 days in a row no rain with most of them sunny with no rain does a quick number and less than .50 in 30 days. Wednesday night looks like maybe .25 if SNE is lucky and cane moisture goes west with massive HP to the north . We go into mid fall with a flash drought. Hopefully what Scooter and the Cape just had with 3-9” happens for all from a fall coastal . Not likely but fingers crossed 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s been a long time since we’ve had the Stein landscape ..burned out lawns . Leaves browning and falling prematurely.. since 2022 . But man.15 days in a row no rain with most of them sunny with no rain does a quick number and less than .50 in 30 days. Wednesday night looks like maybe .25 if SNE is lucky and cane moisture goes west with massive HP to the north . We go into mid fall with a flash drought. Hopefully what Scooyer and the Cape jut had if 3-9” happens for all from a fall coastal . Not likely but fingers crossed 

Nope. Don't want any rain but thanks.

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1

7 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

I recorded a T yesterday.  September rainfall is .32".   The last good rain I received was August 9th.  Over the last 30 days I have had .43"   Pretty impressive short term drought.

That is pretty crazy.  1.41" here in September.  Very dry but not like the number of stations that have had under 0.5" on the month all the way down to CT.

We've had 0.04" in the past 14 days and the past 11 days have registered 0.00".  Mostly sunny too for the most part of that.

I do think the fall foliage is a bit f*cked without rain.  Leaves are drying out and closing up shop without the vibrant pigments we can see.  Color will be ok, but this likely reduces the vibrancy.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

That is pretty crazy.  1.41" here in September.  Very dry but not like the number of stations that have had under 0.5" on the month all the way down to CT.

We've had 0.04" in the past 14 days and the past 11 days have registered 0.00".  Mostly sunny too for the most part of that.

I do think the fall foliage is a bit f*cked without rain.  Leaves are drying out and closing up shop without the vibrant pigments we can see.  Color will be ok, but this likely reduces the vibrancy.

I don't see a single CoCoRAHS station with over 1" MTD in all of NH and ME.  Impressive.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dryslot said:

I think they run in cycles, But its real noticeable this year.

Fat deer going into winter.  Too few oaks in our area to have much effect on the critters.

37 this morning, season's lowest.  If tonight is clear (which I doubt), we'd make a run at 32.  Only 0.10" for the month, 0.01" (our share from the big EMA rainer) in the past 2 weeks, though we should get a modest drink this week.  Fall colors are early and muted, except for some of the red maples.

16 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Fat deer going into winter.  Too few oaks in our area to have much effect on the critters.

37 this morning, season's lowest.  If tonight is clear (which I doubt), we'd make a run at 32.  Only 0.10" for the month, 0.01" (our share from the big EMA rainer) in the past 2 weeks, though we should get a modest drink this week.  Fall colors are early and muted, except for some of the red maples.

The area i'm hunting in Wales is loaded with older Oaks, Beech, Birch, Maples, Pine and some Cedar's as well that have not been harvested in 50+ years or so, The owner is putting in a saw mill, Going to be doing food plots with hunting cabins, He has 150 acres that is all woodland, He's a Masonic brother and Shriner as well so he allows some of us to hunt his property as he's a hunter as well, Its my first time hunting there so its going to take me this year to figure things out but he usually takes 4 deer/yr there including his landowner permit, My truck looks like a matchbox truck........lol

IMG_5395.jpg

• Like 2

hinted on radar and more coherently illustrated on satellite ...  this morning there's an epic battle between -nao against the perennial/normal motion of west to east that supposed to characterize the mid latitudes

the atmosphere is decoupled from above and below ~ the 700 mb

you can see this channel jet flowing out of the -nao trainwreck ... the llv flow is carting along some spritzer showers into the region, while above that the clouds from the perennial motion is gliding in untethered to what's below