Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
September vibes - Last 90s for some, 1st frost for others

tamarack

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

how come you don't work there now?   - if it's not too personal

They got divested to a hedge fund. So because I was on the IBM side of the weather business, I had to stay with IBM. I miss that business and TWC so I'm hopeful at some point I can find my way back.

• Crap 1

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

They got divested to a hedge fund. So because I was on the IBM side of the weather business, I had to stay with IBM. I miss that business and TWC so I'm hopeful at some point I can find my way back.

TWC is The Weather Channel lol. I didn’t realize there was a Weather Company also? 

5 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

TWC is The Weather Channel lol. I didn’t realize there was a Weather Company also? 

Yep lol. They are partners in a way, but basically operate separately. The Weather Channel will use The Weather Company’s data. Back before 2011 we were sister companies. The Weather Company used to be called WSI or Weather Services International. In 2011 WSI got renamed to TWC or The Weather Company. In 2016 IBM bought both businesses and then eventually sold off The Weather Channel to someone else. I forget who. IBM divested The Weather Company to a hedge fund Feb of this year.

• Like 3

Haven't been on here lately, so I'm sure it was mentioned. This is the kinda storm that would really cause some melts in Winter based on how it looked 24 hours ago+.  And I'd be complaining about 1" of wet snow from .90" of precip due to shit rates and a shit airmass. This is our new normal 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Haven't been on here lately, so I'm sure it was mentioned. This is the kinda storm that would really cause some melts in Winter based on how it looked 24 hours ago+.  And I'd be complaining about 1" of wet snow from .90" of precip due to shit rates and a shit airmass. This is our new normal 

True but there was no model agreement from the get go.  3K NAM never had anything for example...so most should/would have been skeptical...

84F today is +14 on the high.  Average is 70F.
Still not record hot, but sustained warmth and sun has been noteworthy.
I’ve said this a couple nights now… but my call of mostly 70s instead of 80s has missed the mark.  I think accountability and self-reflection is important in today’s society, ha. I thought things would moderate… but it’s been sustained 80s.
The dry landscape seems to be feeding back into the temperatures too.  The dry surface seems to get us that extra afternoon boost in temp, as the atmosphere mixes out.
It’s been a dry heat, with a lower sun angle that reminds you it’s not mid-summer.

Well you were closer for down here…my last 80 degree reading was on Sunday

15 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Thats always what I thought.  They are just closing up shop early… try again next year type of thing.

I mean we’ve had some real dry stretches in recent years… I don’t have any actual data to compare but this might be worse in an acute short time frame?  But New England vegetation is very hardy… I feel like it would take a lot to actually kill mature native trees.

I learned this fact years before going thru forestry school.  Where I grew up is near the southern extent of glaciation and the hills still have only thin soil over ledge.  If drought was going to kill trees, summer 1966 would've been the time.  1965 was the driest year on record for DE/NY/PA and all 3 SNE states.  NYC recorded only 26.09" that year, more than 6" lower than 2nd driest (which was the previous year).  Met summer 1966 is NYC's driest since records began in 1869 and only 2010 was hotter.  That summer I worked at Curtiss/Wright's NNJ lake resort and the forest there was oaks, maples and some black birch, much of it on those thin soils.  Given that summer's wx plus the antecedent drought, the lack of trees dying in that area was testimony of the bolded section above.

BTV is the longest climo spot and their 85F high is a tick shy of the 87F daily record

On Sept 24-27, 2017, BTV had 91/92/91/90, probably their latest heatwave.

Mostly sunny so far, though not warming quite as quickly as the past few days, despite a higher launchpad.

• Like 4

Ash, both white and brown, are dropping leaves about 2 weeks earlier than usual.  Those trees are quite variable due undoubtedly to genetics as all seem vigorous, with leaf drop ranging from 20% to total, the brown a bit less drop than the white.  The white birch sprout group within our driveway circle has dropped 60-70% (it always drops early) but the bunch near the old stock pond only 20% drop.  Other species maybe 10% except the red oaks, which still think it's June.  Color change is modest near the house.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Haha, it’s hard to satisfy your weather needs.

It’s not hot and humid enough for the beach, it’s too rainy at Winni, it’s too dry for the lawn, winter sucks…

Scooter might be the biggest whinebutt on the boards 

• Haha 1
  • Crap 1
  • 100% 1