Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
September vibes - Last 90s for some, 1st frost for others

tamarack

9 minutes ago, tamarack said:

At 1 PM the tallest dew of hourly-reporting NH sites is 62.  Closer to the chicken coop, Laconia's dew is 59.

He's going to be triggered that it's off by so much. Will spend the whole weekend getting to the bottom of it.

• Haha 2

Just now, kdxken said:

It's unlimited does In my area. And it's certainly necessary. Noticing more and more undernourished deer. They damaged their food sources.

State of Maine lets you buy anterless deer permits for $12/ea if available after the lottery per zone, The zone i hunt had 13,810 , If you received a permit, You had until 09/12 to purchase it or it goes back into the pool and will be available on 09/17 for purchase.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

State of Maine lets you buy anterless deer permits for $12/ea if available after the lottery per zone, The zone i hunt had 13,810 , If you received a permit, You had until 09/12 to purchase it or it goes back into the pool and will be available on 09/17 for purchase.

Plus $2 for the "agent", though I paid my $14 electronically.  I'll wait if/until I put one on the ground before seeking another.  With the huge amount of anydeers for my zone, there may still be unclaimed permits on Thanksgiving (when we plan to be visiting the grandkids in SNJ).

Much less haze than yesterday but it's not all gone.  Met fall at its best.  And my upper 40s guess for today's low was too cool - it was halfway between 50/51.

• Like 1

Just now, tamarack said:

Plus $2 for the "agent", though I paid my $14 electronically.  I'll wait if/until I put one on the ground before seeking another.  With the huge amount of anydeers for my zone, there may still be unclaimed permits on Thanksgiving (when we plan to be visiting the grandkids in SNJ).

Much less haze than yesterday but it's not all gone.  Met fall at its best.  And my upper 40s guess for today's low was too cool - it was halfway between 50/51.

If i take one with the bow, I will purchase another for firearm season, There is more permits then hunters here, When i put in my application, The site asked if i wanted to pay for it at that time as was almost 100% guaranteed to get one which i did.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I noticed it earlier this week . But when I saw 70’s dews there today .. it was time to pounce 

He's probably out there now, swearing,  trying to figure out what's wrong. Chickens starving and collapsing from no water, but that means nothing to an accurate dewpoint sensor. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

There are so many deer around now it's crazy, when I was a kid, I rarely saw one, now I see them all the time and one ran into my truck and totaled it. They come in my yard a lot and eat whatever they can find.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

There are so many deer around now it's crazy, when I was a kid, I rarely saw one, now I see them all the time and one ran into my truck and totaled it. They come in my yard a lot and eat whatever they can find.

In October 2008 we had a nice buck ram into the driver's side of our Outback, $1,900 worth, six days before the start of the firearms deer season.  We were headed northwest at 40 on the way to church and the deer was running northeast at 30.  Car was drivable so we continued on our way.  A local fellow retrieved the deer about 1/4 mile from the road, after getting permission from the proper folks.
Six years later on the same road (a mile to the east) I had an adult doe unsuccessfully try to cross in front of me the day after the regular firearms season - -Sunday after T-Day - as I drove home following the evening meeting.  The deer pitched into the ditch but got up and ran into the woods.  LEO told me to contact a game warden in case I could find the critter and get it tagged.  Next morning I easily followed tracks in the snow and found the deer - doe with little forked antlers still with velvet - about 500' off the road.  Got at least 90% of the meat I'd expect from an undamaged animal as I had slowed to 15-20 before contact.  Expensive deermeat ($1,500+) but tasty.

Did not get any opportunity to harvest deer the normal way in either season.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

In October 2008 we had a nice buck ram into the driver's side of our Outback, $1,900 worth, six days before the start of the firearms deer season.  We were headed northwest at 40 on the way to church and the deer was running northeast at 30.  Car was drivable so we continued on our way.  A local fellow retrieved the deer about 1/4 mile from the road, after getting permission from the proper folks.
Six years later on the same road (a mile to the east) I had an adult doe unsuccessfully try to cross in front of me the day after the regular firearms season - -Sunday after T-Day - as I drove home following the evening meeting.  The deer pitched into the ditch but got up and ran into the woods.  LEO told me to contact a game warden in case I could find the critter and get it tagged.  Next morning I easily followed tracks in the snow and found the deer - doe with little forked antlers still with velvet - about 500' off the road.  Got at least 90% of the meat I'd expect from an undamaged animal as I had slowed to 15-20 before contact.  Expensive deermeat ($1,500+) but tasty.

Did not get any opportunity to harvest deer the normal way in either season.

"found the deer - doe with little forked antlers still with velvet" t

You sure about that?

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Don’t know how. Never works 

Damage! 

In 1947, the State of Maine suffered its largest forest fire disaster in modern history. The state experienced over 90 consecutive days of record breaking high temperatures and drought. By mid-October, many small wildfires started and spread out of control. Statewide, these fires burned over 220,000 acres, burned 1000 homes, left 2,500 people homeless and 16 people dead