Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
September vibes - Last 90s for some, 1st frost for others

tamarack

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Depends where you’re going…it can be a big difference between the Kanc and SE NH.

I'm looking into the Kanc Highway area, yeah.

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

Wow.  No love for Vermont.

image.jpeg.89fd665b6e2d9a6cca42fada6b14851c.jpeg

I'd love to go to Vermont, too! But the trip is several hours away and money is tight, so I can only see going up and seeing NH one day, staying one night and going one way or the other to see Maine or Vermont. Vermont is certainly high on my list to see, but Maine is a place I've wanted to see (and live in lol) since I was a teen, so I have to pick Maine first.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, WinterSnow said:

I'm looking into the Kanc Highway area, yeah.

I'd love to go to Vermont, too! But the trip is several hours away and money is tight, so I can only see going up and seeing NH one day, staying one night and going one way or the other to see Maine or Vermont. Vermont is certainly high on my list to see, but Maine is a place I've wanted to see (and live in lol) since I was a teen, so I have to pick Maine first.

Coming from CT, I would probably get to the Kanc via the bright blue route below.  Once you get past Springfield, MA, 91 is pretty scenic.  When you get off 91 and head towards Lincoln, NH, Rt.112 is very scenic as well.  Lincoln and the Kanc can be a real clusterf*ck during foliage season.  On the other side, Conway, NH will be a madhouse.  In terms of timing, I've always thought the last weekend of September is a solid bet.  My wedding anniversary is September 29th and it usually pretty decent around then.

image.png.5abe480d25feeb34f6bbf74f1fa578b5.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 100% 1

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Too bad its all sports and school all the time now. What a stretch for the beach. 

In a few yrs when my kids are out of high school will take a Sept beach vacation-some of the best weather, everything is still open and the water is plenty warm enough still.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, WinterSnow said:

Patches of yellow appearing down here in CT. Nothing impressive yet.

NH members please keep us updated, I want to travel up to NH during or at least near peak! I never know when that'll be because every website I appear is all over the place on when that'll be. I'm assuming first week of October is good? I want to time this good because we might stay a night in NH, since it's a several hour drive up there to begin with, and then the next day maybe visit Maine as well.

Here's a suggested route:
Head up I-93 to Littleton then head east on US 2; the 'measured mile' straightaway in Randolph offers a wonderful view of the Whites dead ahead, maybe overnight in Gorham.  From there take Rt 16 north thru Berlin and the 13-Mile Woods to Errol and continue on 16 into Maine at Wilson's Mills.  Maybe scoot down to the Upper Richardson boat launch (less than 1/2 mile) for a view of the hills across the narrow part of the lake.  Continue on 16 to Rangeley then do a right-left zig-zag onto Rt 17 - another 5 miles toward Rumford one can stop at the famous overlook on D-Town.  There are a couple of turnouts with parking though it tends to draw crowds during leafpeeper season.  Maybe stretch your legs at Coos Canyon, a roadside rapids on the Swift River.  At Rumford one can go east to Rt 4 then down to the Maine Turnpike, or go west to Bethel (better views) to Rt 26 and south to the Pike.  Just watch out for all the peeper-buses.
A shorter alternative in Maine is to take Rt 26 at Errol and drive thru Grafton Notch (maybe stop for the short walk to Screw Auger Falls on the State Park), thence thru Bethel toward the Pike.  If you are a skier, you could drive up the Sunday River Road (off Rt 2 just east from Bethel) and see if the ski area is blowing out the mice from their snowmaking machinery.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, mreaves said:

Coming from CT, I would probably get to the Kanc via the bright blue route below.  Once you get past Springfield, MA, 91 is pretty scenic.  When you get off 91 and head towards Lincoln, NH, Rt.112 is very scenic as well.  Lincoln and the Kanc can be a real clusterf*ck during foliage season.  On the other side, Conway, NH will be a madhouse.  In terms of timing, I've always thought the last weekend of September is a solid bet.  My wedding anniversary is September 29th and it usually pretty decent around then.

Longest traffic jam we've encountered was on the west slope of the Kanc in early October 1990.  We hit the stoppage not far below the Hairpin and spent 2 hours to go 7 miles.  The first mile took 26 minutes; we played leapfrog with 3 college age ladies on foot, and they weren't walking fast.  Fortunately, we were in no hurry, the colors were great, the temp was near 80 and we just put our 5-speed Cavalier in neutral, rolled down the windows and coasted those 7 miles.  Once we got past the access road to Loon things cleared up.  We think that the jam came about when they closed the peeper lifts.

12 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Longest traffic jam we've encountered was on the west slope of the Kanc in early October 1990.  We hit the stoppage not far below the Hairpin and spent 2 hours to go 7 miles.  The first mile took 26 minutes; we played leapfrog with 3 college age ladies on foot, and they weren't walking fast.  Fortunately, we were in no hurry, the colors were great, the temp was near 80 and we just put our 5-speed Cavalier in neutral, rolled down the windows and coasted those 7 miles.  Once we got past the access road to Loon things cleared up.  We think that the jam came about when they closed the peeper lifts.

In 2004 I spent 15 hours in traffic on I-91 just south of Barton, VT.  Didn't move an inch.  If anyone can point me to BTV data Aug 1- Aug 14 2004, I'd love to see how much rain they got leading up to this madness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

In a few yrs when my kids are out of high school will take a Sept beach vacation-some of the best weather, everything is still open and the water is plenty warm enough still.

We usually go up to Maine right after Labor Day when schools start and there's half the people that re there in August.

1 hour ago, tunafish said:

In 2004 I spent 15 hours in traffic on I-91 just south of Barton, VT.  Didn't move an inch.  If anyone can point me to BTV data Aug 1- Aug 14 2004, I'd love to see how much rain they got leading up to this madness.

BTV had a modest 2.65" during that period.  I did find that Hanover, NH had nearly 3.5" on July 31 that year.  Maybe it was a non-regional event, like the storm that flooded Jay, Maine on 6/29/23.  They had 4-6" in 2 hours and at least one bridge there hasn't been repaired even now.

1 hour ago, tunafish said:

You’ll probably see my car in that video. Was crazy. Just sat on the side of the road for 18 hours and ended up going back home 

• Like 1