• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
September vibes - Last 90s for some, 1st frost for others

tamarack

What a disastrous day. Started cleaning the gutters and was going to use the hose to blast out any residue. Turn on the water, nothing coming out.

Went to disconnect the hose from the house and all of a sudden water started gushing out so I go into the basement to find the shutoff valve. Couldn’t find it anywhere…spent over an hour and a half, so water was just gushing out. Called neighbors, realtor, tried turning off every valve I could find. 

finally we had to call non-emergency fire. They came and found out that we couldn’t find the valve because there was none so they grabbed something to get it shut off.

Got a plumber to come and get a valve on there and replace the outside faucet which we had had some leaking issues with.  

I was starting to feel stupid not being able to find a shutoff valve…they’re not hard to find but there was no freaking valve on the stupid pipe 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

What a disastrous day. Started cleaning the gutters and was going to use the hose to blast out any residue. Turn on the water, nothing coming out.

Went to disconnect the hose from the house and all of a sudden water started gushing out so I go into the basement to find the shutoff valve. Couldn’t find it anywhere…spent over an hour and a half, so water was just gushing out. Called neighbors, realtor, tried turning off every valve I could find. 

finally we had to call non-emergency fire. They came and found out that we couldn’t find the valve because there was none so they grabbed something to get it shut off.

Got a plumber to come and get a valve on there and replace the outside faucet which we had had some leaking issues with.  

I was starting to feel stupid not being able to find a shutoff valve…they’re not hard to find but there was no freaking valve on the stupid pipe 

I've had to shut off my main a couple times, but I have one, wonder why they didn't put one in your house? Did you get the gutters cleaned? I put gutter guards on my gutters, so I don't have to clean them anymore.

3 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I've had to shut off my main a couple times, but I have one, wonder why they didn't put one in your house? Did you get the gutters cleaned? I put gutter guards on my gutters, so I don't have to clean them anymore.

We were having issues getting the main water valve to the house shut off but we didn’t want to do that because we still would have to figure out what was going on with the hose hookup. I was able to get part of the gutters cleaned before the first round of showers. That ordeal wasted a good 3 hours of the day. It should have taken 3 seconds to legit shut the water off. 

but as shitty as this was I think a potentially larger issue was prevented. Our water bill had been getting quite high the past year and I’ve noticed the hose would always be dripping. When I took the hose off and the water started gushing out (and the outside valve…did not shut the water off. When twisting it went from the gushing water to massively gushing water. So it occurred to me that water must have been constantly running. The whole situation is bizarre. Never came across anything like this. 

want to try and do gutters tomorrow but have a ton of stuff to also do before the Pats game. 

49 minutes ago, WinterSnow said:

Ran into a large branch on the road today after the storm line went by. I didn't think that the storms had the kind of wind or anything that would cause that? That makes no sense to me. A very weak tree, I guess.

Welcome to CT

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, ma blizzard said:

On this day in 1881, Boston put up a 102/72 :lol: 

101/79 at NYC, their tallest minimum and mean in Sept, though 9/2/53 (102/77) was their hottest for that month.

0.05" overnight, month has 0.09" and not much in sight for a week-plus.  Maybe it will be like Sept 2000 when the 1st 29 days had only 0.15".  Would've easily been the driest month I've measured anywhere but a gusty northeast storm dropped 1.14" on the 30th.  Lost power for 10 hours, first good test of the new Generac.

• Like 1