Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
September vibes - Last 90s for some, 1st frost for others

tamarack

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

BTW, K1B9 AWOS now available. This is Mansfield, MA. 

K1B9 041735Z AUTO 17003KT 7SM CLR 26/10 A3043 RMK AO2 T02550097 $

Is the Mansfield awos being plotted on any sfc metar pages yet?  Don't see it on the NOAA gis page or Grx placefile feeds?

31 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Anyone noticed me the not so subtle warming trend on models for 2nd half of month? A lot of over the top heat building . 

It's kind of in and out. Be nice to get some warm days. Especially at the end of the month.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Just when we don’t want it heading into Roctober 

Everything's shaping up to be a September to remember. Mild droughts make for spectacular foliage.  Cold beers and warm temperature. Best fall ever. You'll tell your grandchildren...

Screenshot_20240904_185549_Chrome.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, FXWX said:

Is the Mansfield awos being plotted on any sfc metar pages yet?  Don't see it on the NOAA gis page or Grx placefile feeds?

Not sure, I just pulled up the AWC page and typed in the ICAO. It came up. I haven't seen other TV stations plot it. Even NWS roundup does not have it.

8 hours ago, Patrick-02540 said:

I hope there's some beer in that cooler and not just two chainsaws.  

8 hours ago, kdxken said:

Beer and chainsaws don't mix. I'm sure you've seen the YouTube videos. Been known to have a couple afterwards however.

Yeah, You need max focus and wearing chaps, It only takes a second to be catastrophic.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tamarack said:

There used to be a monthly Northern Forest Forum meeting in PQI, attended mostly by foresters and loggers from Maine and NB, occasionally from Quebec.  A presentation by one Quebecois showed 'befores' and 'afters' from some grotesque chainsaw injuries.  (Fortunately, the 'afters' were repairs rather than burials.)  The worst was when a chopper fell onto a large, pointed stump-pull, the wood driving into him under the chin and coming out one cheek.  His chum sawed off the spike, which was still in place when the poor fellow got to the hospital.  The 'after' was remarkable, with only some discolor on that cheek, and the other dozen or so less spectacular (but awful) wounds, were also healed well.

So far, I've never been cut by a running saw, but I've nicked myself when filing a few times since buying a (used) saw in 1977.  A chopper from Allagash had an active hawk nest near his wood pile, and as he was climbing onto the pile to merchandise before starting his saw, one of the hawks stooped on him, causing him to drop the saw then fall on it for 17 stitches.

My brother in law and his family of 12 grew up in Ste Pamphile and the 6 boys along with dad grew up loggers working in the woods of Que and NW Maine, One of the boys had cut a widow maker that kicked out and he tried to get away from it felling the wrong way and was killed driving a Jonsered 24" saw 6' into the ground while he was still holding the saw, That how quick accidents can happen.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Not sure, I just pulled up the AWC page and typed in the ICAO. It came up. I haven't seen other TV stations plot it. Even NWS roundup does not have it.

That's what I'm finding as well.  It took a while before the Plainville CT (Robertson Arpt) awos showed up on the plots.  I do like having the Mansfield location for an additional data pt.  

IA state briefly had it. Brunswick ME too (BXR). 

Terrible time to try and overseed.  Never thought Stein would be dragging his webbed bag across my yard. 

It is, I'm going to kill the crabgrass and overseed in the spring, the weather just won't cooperate and my lawns too big to water all the time. Unless we get a more favorable forecast next week.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

All of a sudden the BN cold month has evolved into warm to hot and AN. 

Note for winter…

September was not a BN month, but man after early next week that’s warm. We stay installed. Summer is back. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 2