• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
September vibes - Last 90s for some, 1st frost for others

tamarack

yeah not a good sign for rain-wanters when the nam corrects s-e inside of 42 hours.  particularly in the winter, that model's typically nw of all others ... then corrects s-e when in short terms - usually laughing at the storm wieners when it takes the rug and runs away.  this thing looks like it's matching that corrective behavior regardless of it being 75 -80 f

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Haha, it’s hard to satisfy your weather needs.

It’s not hot and humid enough for the beach, it’s too rainy at Winni, it’s too dry for the lawn, winter sucks…

All have been true except hot and humid. Been great for that. But this is absurd. As Someone who cares about their yard and plants and tries to have it look good and trying to reseed, this is terrible and frustrating. 

5 hours ago, WinterSnow said:

It feels better today than it has the past many days. So glad we're finally seeing a bit of a cooldown.

It feels slightly summer-ish here today with the dews coming back up. Of course it always seems to coincide with clouds and fog but we’ll take it for now. Any moisture would be a godsend at this point. The trees and grass just look awful right now. 

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

In all seriousness, I’m worried about the health of my trees. The watering I’m trying to do isn’t enough to get deep into the ground. They’re all turning brown and dropping leaves.

Unless they are newly planted trees, this year, I wouldn't worry... They may drop leaves a bit early but will be fine if they have become established over the past year or so.  If they are recently planted, say this past spring, here is neat trick a landscaper friend showed me years ago.  Buy lengths of 2 inch PVC conduit.  Cut them into 2 or 3 foot sections and drill multiple quarter to half inch holes in the lower half of one side.  Pound 2 or 3 pieces into the ground about 12 inches from the trunk; spaced out around trunk.  Slide hose into the PVC and allow a slow but steady stream on water into the tube.  I found it is best to get a 2 inch round pole like piece of wood or a metal pipe and use that to form the hole for the PVC.  I've used this technique for years when needed; even for new shrubs 

• Like 5
  • 100% 2

22 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

All have been true except hot and humid. Been great for that. But this is absurd. As Someone who cares about their yard and plants and tries to have it look good and trying to reseed, this is terrible and frustrating. 

I hear ya, just busting your balls.

I got so frustrated with the rain this summer impacting so many outdoor plans, that I just cannot bring myself to then flip flop and complain about it being dry.

It’s been one helluva run of weather if you love being outdoors.  Hopefully you’ve got plenty of water for the sprinklers.  Assuming you’re on municipal water supply?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

In all seriousness, I’m worried about the health of my trees. The watering I’m trying to do isn’t enough to get deep into the ground. They’re all turning brown and dropping leaves.

we're losing the fruit trees at the office.  5-6 of them. 

18 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I wouldn't worry. That's actually what they do to protect themselves. By dropping the leaves early they save energy. Takes some mighty big stress to kill a tree. End of one season won't do it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • 100% 1

6 minutes ago, kdxken said:

I wouldn't worry. That's actually what they do to protect themselves. By dropping the leaves early they save energy. Takes some mighty big stress to kill a tree. End of one season won't do it.

Thats always what I thought.  They are just closing up shop early… try again next year type of thing.

I mean we’ve had some real dry stretches in recent years… I don’t have any actual data to compare but this might be worse in an acute short time frame?  But New England vegetation is very hardy… I feel like it would take a lot to actually kill mature native trees.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, kdxken said:

They did that in 2022 and didn’t come back. Mature oaks. Granted September is easier on the trees. 

• Like 1

Well my problem in the short term is this..... I own an irrigation company (started in 1987), this time of the year we start to close systems down for the year. We normally start around September 12-13th like clock work, we began Monday (9/16) 45 percent of our clients are asking mid October , its been so dry and these upper 80s we have been having in Southern NH is not helping me!

Based on our client list, and compressors we run, we cannot possibly get everyone done in a timely manner, so I have to tell them certain dates are booked solid, and I the owner, will work now 7 days a week into November, we are usually done this process by November 8 or 10th. Last season so much rain , they were begging us to close.

I just can't remember a dry spell like this in a long time, espically a September. So in short yes I would welcome rain, and if I can't get that drop the temps very soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Get a few of these things. 
image.thumb.png.4e15d08ab80331e2b0b9286db87ab765.png

• Like 1