Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
September vibes - Last 90s for some, 1st frost for others

tamarack

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The amount of acorns this year is unbelievable. A slight breeze blows and they just pelt down. I could hear them banging off houses and cars running this morning. These are the big uns. 

Every year it’s bad. I thought it would vary.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The amount of acorns this year is unbelievable. A slight breeze blows and they just pelt down. I could hear them banging off houses and cars running this morning. These are the big uns. 

Careful out there:

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Had a flock of turkeys in the yard last evening. the adults flew up to roost in an oak tree out back. They shook the branches when they landed in the tree making it rain acorns like a mo fo 

19 hours ago, kdxken said:

Damage! 

In 1947, the State of Maine suffered its largest forest fire disaster in modern history. The state experienced over 90 consecutive days of record breaking high temperatures and drought. By mid-October, many small wildfires started and spread out of control. Statewide, these fires burned over 220,000 acres, burned 1000 homes, left 2,500 people homeless and 16 people dead

I have a book "The Week Maine Burned", which details what happened that October.  It describes everything about the fires, southern Maine and Bar Harbor, but unfortunately no maps.  PWM had recorded no measurable rain since September, rural folks figured the fire season was over, and many were burning trash/brush.

PWM temps:
10/23   83   35   PWM's warmest day so late in the season.  The Kennebunkport fire burned to ocean's edge and its spot fires torched a small island 3/4 miles from the shore.
10/24   59   26   A dry CF with strong winds (G50+) arrived, switching wind from SW to NW such that the relatively cool flank of the East Brownfield fire became the roaring head and traveled 30+ miles, wiping out a couple of villages and burning over 100,000 acres.  It came within a mile of connecting with the K'port fire footprint.
10/25   65   20   Record cold for the date
Fires were finally under control on the 27th-28th.

"found the deer - doe with little forked antlers still with velvet" t

You sure about that?

Yes.  It was the 3rd velvet-antlered doe I've seen but the only one with forks. 
1st one came in late November 1979 on T18R12, about 10 miles NW from Allagash village.  It stood in nearly the same spot (lots of tracks in a very small area) as I took 30 minutes to still-hunt to within 40 yards of the critter.  It had 7" spikes, definitely a doe and its vulva was quite moist - made me wonder if she thought I was a buck sneaking toward her.  :lol:   
Gamiest tasting of any deer I've killed.
2nd came on opening day 1980, shot by a co-worker on T15R13, about 20 miles SW from #1.  Its spikes were velvety and 12-14" long.
3rd was in 2014 in New Sharon, 6-7" with 1" forks.
I've read that antlered does occur about 1 in 25,000 (odd that 2 such anomalies occurred so close to each other), and that the ones with velvet antlers are fertile.  The much less common does with polished antlers are sterile.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, tamarack said:

In the forest, Northern red oaks usually have big crops at intervals of 2-5 years.  Open-grown oaks (like a yard tree) can have big crops year after year.

For whatever reason, last few years have been bad in the acorn dept.

Interesting the first 12 days of the month averaged -1.7 here.  I can't remember the last time we got a stretch like that... maybe a year ago?

Of course yesterday was +9 and that -1.7 went to -0.9 and give it another 2 days and we'll be at normal departures for the month... then go above as the warmth looks to stay.

As soon as the air mass got dry and it stopped raining, we ripped off about two weeks of legit below normal temps because the overnight mins could do what climo thinks they should do.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

This “torch” really got muted for the non torchy areas. Will only ended up being two days of low 80s here other than that just a long stretch of 75-8, with a few days the high never hit 70. Going back to mid August ,  only 8 days over 80 in the last 30 days. 

We had 82/84 on Aug 1,2.  Those are the only 80+ maxima since July 17.  Maybe add a couple next week?