• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
September vibes - Last 90s for some, 1st frost for others

tamarack

i almost wonder if only the nooks and dales of central and northern alpine regions see frost in september, while the majority of us have trouble getting below 40 F heavy car top dewy mornings later in the month. 

our first convincing 'frost' this year may come from one of those anomalous synoptic october cold balls that drops into the lakes and sets up a minoring snow again.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

i almost wonder if only the crooks and dales of central and northern alpine regions see frost in september, while the majority of us have trouble getting below 40 F heavy car top dewy mornings later in the month. 

our first convincing 'frost' this year may come from one of those anomalous synoptic october cold balls that drops into the lakes and sets up a minoring snow again.  

Gonna even have trouble getting many 40’s earn next week other than extreme sheltered spots. Guidance really backed off the “cool”

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Gonna even have trouble getting many 40’s earn next week other than extreme sheltered spots. Guidance really backed off the “cool”

Labor Day
Sunny, with a high near 66. Northwest wind 7 to 10 mph.
Monday Night
Clear, with a low around 44. Northwest wind 5 to 7 mph.
Tuesday
Sunny, with a high near 67. Northwest wind 5 to 7 mph.
Tuesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 46. Light west wind.
Wednesday
Sunny, with a high near 72. West wind 3 to 5 mph.
Wednesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 49. Light southwest wind.
Thursday
Sunny, with a high near 74. West wind 3 to 6 mph
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:
Labor Day
Sunny, with a high near 66. Northwest wind 7 to 10 mph.
Monday Night
Clear, with a low around 44. Northwest wind 5 to 7 mph.
Tuesday
Sunny, with a high near 67. Northwest wind 5 to 7 mph.
Tuesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 46. Light west wind.
Wednesday
Sunny, with a high near 72. West wind 3 to 5 mph.
Wednesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 49. Light southwest wind.
Thursday
Sunny, with a high near 74. West wind 3 to 6 mph

That’s nice but what’ are your thoughts and ideas based on today’s guidance and factoring in biases?

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That’s nice but what’ are your thoughts and ideas based on today’s guidance and factoring in biases?

next week looks pretty cool.. warming some by the end of the week.. not much has changed with that.. the following week could get a little warmer with dews? 

Let’s get the bugs dormant with a cooldown. I just got back from DC where the last two days had heat indices over 100°, and late summer step down sounds good to me. 

Truthfully though I don’t care what happens. It’s all tropical all the time now for me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Let’s get the bugs dormant with a cooldown. I just got back from DC where the last two days had heat indices over 100°, and late summer step down sounds good to me. 

Truthfully though I don’t care what happens. It’s all tropical all the time now for me.

So you are just sitting around doing nothing? 

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

MOS has 35° at BML and HIE and a freeze at SLK with 30°. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Lala goofus tries to give me a freeze mid month. It’s like there’s a part of the model  that wants to believe it’s still 30+ years ago. 

you laugh but i've thought the gfs as suspect along similar for long while.

have written tl;dr op eds aplenty in the past. in brief, its individual runs act as though the physical make up cleanses warmth out. either that, ...or in the aggregated sense it ends up with cool surplus.   

if one bothers to look above the latitude of the perceivable westerlies jet by d7 ...certainly by d10 and beyond, it consummately ends up with the largest region on the polar side when compared to the euro and ggem - a trait that is more or less observable in the gefs comparison, too.  obviously okay to be the coolest look but when it always owns that or seems to, that becomes bias. 

i've never bothered to verify it

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

you laugh but i've thought the gfs as suspect along similar for long while.

have written tl;dr op eds aplenty in the past. in brief, its individual runs act as though the physical make up cleanses warmth out. either that, ...or in the aggregated sense it ends up with cool surplus.   

if one bothers to look above the latitude of the perceivable westerlies jet by d7 ...certainly by d10 and beyond, it consummately ends up with the largest region on the polar side when compared to the euro and ggem - a trait that is more or less observable in the gefs comparison, too.  obviously okay to be the coolest look but when it always owns that or seems to, that becomes bias. 

i've never bothered to verify it

It's interesting how the GFS is with the "extremes".

The GFS is known to overmix in certain airmasses and spit out absurd temperatures and it seems to struggle with overmixing too late in the season. Some of the GFS (MOS) numbers this week across the central states were pretty high. Then when it comes to cold it can often overdo the cold. 

16 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

It's interesting how the GFS is with the "extremes".

The GFS is known to overmix in certain airmasses and spit out absurd temperatures and it seems to struggle with overmixing too late in the season. Some of the GFS (MOS) numbers this week across the central states were pretty high. Then when it comes to cold it can often overdo the cold. 

you're looking at this from a discrete thermometer aspect - no comment... 

but i'm talking about the geopotential medium and the synoptic layouts as it goes out in time.   

those two aspects are obviously indirectly connected.  

that cool shot brian's noting of mid month brings multiple inches of ccb cement across nw nf over the top of a high latitude coastal bomb  

it's a gfs thing it does at the end of august every year.    

contrasting, in april, it too often attempts to reset the pattern back to february in early may.  it may in fact be mores so a transition season problem.

the models not really useful beyond 8 or 9 days - not enough so to take it seriously, anyway - but these bias really underscore why that is

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

you're looking at this from a discrete thermometer aspect - no comment... 

but i'm talking about the geopotential medium and the synoptic layouts as it goes out in time.   

those two aspects are obviously indirectly connected.  

that cool shot brian's noting of mid month brings multiple inches of ccb cement across nw nf over the top of a high latitude coastal bomb  

it's a gfs thing it does at the end of august every year.    

contrasting, in april, it too often attempts to reset the pattern back to february in early may.  it may in fact be mores so a transition season problem.

the models not really useful beyond 8 or 9 days - not enough so to take it seriously, anyway - but these bias really underscore why that is

It’s like the model reverts to some kind of historical climo for ocean temps, sea ice, etc in the LR. 

Like if we didn’t royally F up the environment this is what “might have been”. 

• Haha 1