Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
September 2024 General Discussion

Geoboy645

17 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

More impressively if we reach 80 on Monday it will likely be the 19th 80 degree high this September breaking the record of 18 set in 1908.

83 so far today.

For context, at Minneapolis, there have been 45 [of 152] Julys with 19 or fewer 80+ days, being nearly 30% of all historic Julys, and 91 [of 152] Augusts with 19 or fewer 80+ days, being nearly 60% of all historic Augusts. On the low end, July 1992 had only 3 such days and August 1912, 6. In the entire meteorological summer of 1904, there were only 19 such days. And July and August each have an extra day on September. And I get a weenie for calling September the newest summer month.

Prior to 2000, the ratios are even worse. 43 [of 127] Julys, or more than 1/3 of 18th and 19th century Julys. And 79 [of 127] Augusts, or 62.2% of the time.

Sorry but September increasingly holds it own against past Julys and Augusts. Is it breaking down heat records from those months? No. But it is within the historical climatology of those months.

A couple neat records to keep track of,  Madison has broken its record of consecutive days with high temps 65 or above with 140 currently and no end in sight.  The old record was 135 set in 2021.  We will also set our record of consecutive max temps at 60 or above this weekend.

48 minutes ago, madwx said:

A couple neat records to keep track of,  Madison has broken its record of days with high temps 65 or above with 140 currently and no end in sight.  The old record was 135 set in 2021.  We will also set our record of max temps at 60 or above this weekend.

To clarify, that is number of consecutive days with a high of 65F+, not number in total.

In the first solid rain event in a couple of months, I have 1.52" in the tippy bucket this morning. Matches well with the radar estimates. There was a stripe of a firehose over the area and I was in it. These tropical remnants always seem to deliver. Looks like there is another slug of shower that are going to rotate through here in a little bit.

• Like 1

I do not know where to put this, so I am going with here. With all the rain last night there was some wind. They did have a high wind warning out so this was not unexpected but I do not know if this qualifies as severe. I saw that at KIND there was a couple of wind speeds/gusts at 44/60mph. Now here in town we are thirty odd miles northwest of KIND so it might have been below that but there was some damage here in downtown Lebanon. One of the old buildings on the square lost a quantity of bricks. You can see here that the upper two or three feet above the roofline fell back unto the roof. That levered some of the facia bricks away from the building and they came crashing down causing a slight mess. The liquor store lost its sign. I have no idea how those lights did not get knocked off. Maybe the sign shield them just long enough. THey had already taken away the sign before I got there with the camera.

8G3A3491.thumb.JPG.6ee1c176c02f9a03744b5f760c7dd029.JPG

8G3A3498.thumb.JPG.58a33321e02b42e4ea19d4ac8fc2d26d.JPG

• Sad 1

Perfect day here for Sep rounding off the best I've experienced. I noticed TWN put me under overcast even rain yesterday and I rightly ignored that shat. Instead it was mostly sunny at times filtered and gorgeous humid breeze til 4:30pm! Clouds were def intriguing morning then late aft when they fomented. We overperformed high temp by getting to 26C feeling like 31!

Got a total of 2.83" from the cutoff low and Helene's remnants over the final weekend of September. Very little more rain looks like likely to close out the month. Otherwise, looks like the dreary stretch will continue into the beginning of October until this pattern breaks at the middle of this week.

1 hour ago, WestMichigan said:

If GRR hits 80° today it will be 16th of the month and the most on record.

At the airport. It looks like there was one instance of 17 days in the threaded record - 1908. Sounds like a reasonable figure - Detroit had 15, and Chicago 16 days that month. Still a very solid number for September. For context, 42 Augusts and 18 Julys have had 16 or fewer 80+ days at Grand Rapids.

image.png.975bd9d217fe25266cbb10018c08a617.png

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

I ended up with 1.42", with 0.72" of that thanks to Helene. Still dry, but nothing earth shattering.

It is so dry here.  I cut the lawn last Thursday for the first time in 3 weeks.  It looks like I just cut it today.  :lol:

I will say it has been nice not to be concerned about much lawn maintenance!! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

September 2024 finished tied as the 2nd warmest September on record for Chicago.

Record Warmest September's
1. 71.2° - 1931
2. 70.6° - 2024
2. 70.6° - 1960
2. 70.6° - 1908
5. 70.3° - 2021
6. 70.2° - 1978
6. 70.2° - 1925
6. 70.2° - 1881
9. 70.1° - 1906
10. 70.0° - 1939
10. 70.0° - 1921

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Brian D said:

0.06" here TH for the driest Sept on record. Beat 0.26" from 1948. Dry conditions expanding quickly here in NE MN. Duluth had its warmest Sept at 64.3F beating out 1897 (62.6). 2nd driest with 0.31" (0.19" 1952).

How does that rank among all months? Wonder if some locations had their driest month ever. I think Cedar Rapids had no measurable precipitation, so that clearly would at least tie driest month ever.