• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty

15 hours ago, MANDA said:

Kind of glad in a way.  Has been way to warm for me recently and sunny day after sunny day is getting boring as well.  I could some cooler and cloudy days.

:weenie: away!

I think this is why we have been getting the big model flips from run to run with the rainfall forecasts. Very strong blocking over SE Canada and New England. Cutoff lows underneath are notoriously difficult for models to forecast. This general pattern looks to continue for at least the next 10 days. Even day 11-15 there is some indication that it may try to continue with lows riding north but perhaps weaker high pressure over New England. Another example of the stuck weather patterns of recent years.

IMG_1207.thumb.png.17c8f2c9d5e37d2a205ff497ae67d140.png

IMG_1208.thumb.png.4f1ba8d5d8dba61bfe1eafd5a8ccec8e.png

IMG_1209.thumb.png.b00362e6fea4b383e4e73d8ac755a964.png

• Like 3

If we have the big high pressure to our north, I doubt we get much. We’ve seen time and again waves of rain or snow get eaten up in confluence as they try to make it to our latitude. The high has to weaken and flow in the mid levels turn to southerly. If it comes from a dry direction confluence will just eat up the rain. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

If we have the big high pressure to our north, I doubt we get much. We’ve seen time and again waves of rain or snow get eaten up in confluence as they try to make it to our latitude. The high has to weaken and flow in the mid levels turn to southerly. If it comes from a dry direction confluence will just eat up the rain. 

As @bluewave said the pattern is stuck, so hopefully the high weakens enough to allow beneficial rainfall to get up here by the weekend 

• Like 1

72 / 58 more clouds today but partly cloudy mid / upper 70s pending on that sunshine.  Hung up patter going from days of sun to days of clouds and maybe light rain on onshore flow Tue - Fri.  Heaviest seems south or east but we'll see a general 0.75 - 1.00 over the period.  Ridging over the top continues easterly flow through the next week.  Clouds in the way and keeping it near normal / below.

GOES16-EUS-02-1000x1000.gif

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

Winds out of an easterly quadrant for virtually the entire month. Amazing. I still think any rain amounts in the NYC Metro would likely be on the lighter side this week. Next week maybe better. Temperatures continue above normal but not as much so.

WX/PT

I tend to agree we end up with some showers. Heavy rain stays south. We are better off starting of with light rain anyway as very heavy rain would tend to run right off the dry hard soil causing potential flash flooding problems. 

• Like 1

Dry conditions will likely persist into late tomorrow or tomorrow night. Afterward, moisture from the southeast will likely bring showers and some periods of rain to the northern Mid-Atlantic region. Showers could persist into Friday. Total rainfall from late Tuesday into Friday should average about 0.25"-0.75" in an around New York City (lesser amounts to the north and east of the City) and 0.50"-1.50" in Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, DC.

In terms of dry weather regionally, today is on track to become Boston's 27th consecutive day without measurable precipitation. That would be the 6th longest dry stretch on record. Records go back to 1872. Some of the guidance brings light but measurable rainfall to Boston Wednesday or Thursday.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.2°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was -0.2°C for the week centered around September 11. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.27°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged -0.10°C. Neutral ENSO conditions will likely evolve into a La Niña event during the fall.

The SOI was -5.17 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was -0.622 today.

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 59% probability that New York City will have a cooler than normal September (1991-2020 normal). September will likely finish with a mean temperature near 68.8° (0.3° below normal).