• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty

12 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

People that mow lawns for their business/have to water alot of plants for a business or park/garden might care.  But otherwise I hear ya-enjoy the perfect weather.

Exactly, being a horticulturalist drought is my least favorite weather. This weekend I’m sure people will really start to notice as even weeds on the side of roads are starting to brown out. Luckily we are in a lower sun angle time of year, had this been may or June we have actual problems. 

59 / 58 and sunny.  Record skipping with another mostly sunny dry day - tack on at least 3 more Sat, Sun and Mon.   Warm low - mid 80s  with saturday the warmest day and if mostly sunny some of the warmer spot to the upper 80s as flow comes around more dform the west.   Trough east, Francines decaying remnants in the middle and ridge northeast with cut off near the south east.  By Tuesday some showers/rain nearby, we'll see if it gets to cnj and north.  GFS wetter than euro where the cut off stalls will be wet.  This hung up pattern is one that things stick around a while whether its nice weather or wet weather. 

Beyond next week,  overall warm some semblance a trough moving into the GL - ridge EC, would imply a change to wetter overall too.  Clods to MD

GOES16-EUS-02-1000x1000.gif

We’ll gladly take some drier weather up here as parts of CT have seen over 100” of precipitation since last July. Some spots in Rockland are also getting close. In NJ the areas around 90” are north of 80. So I can see how areas south of 80 haven’t been able to get the amounts the areas further north did. Even though Central NJ has had great long term totals, they have been in and out of short term soil moisture dryness. Mainly a function of how hot the summer was. Parts of Central NJ saw their first year with over 20 days reaching 95°. So it’s tough for spots with that much heat not to have the vegetation get dry when much of the convection was riding north of 78 and 80.

Data for July 1, 2023 through September 13, 2024
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
CT PROSPECT 1.9 ENE CoCoRaHS 101.74
CT NEWTOWN 4.6 SE CoCoRaHS 98.99
CT NAUGATUCK 1.7 NNE CoCoRaHS 97.95
CT BROOKFIELD 3.3 SSE CoCoRaHS 97.27
CT MIDDLEFIELD 1.4 W CoCoRaHS 96.85
CT SOUTHBURY 2.3 W CoCoRaHS 96.31
CT RIDGEFIELD 2.4 NNE CoCoRaHS 96.16
NY WEST POINT COOP 94.95
CT WATERBURY 1.3 WNW CoCoRaHS 94.81
CT NORTHFORD 0.8 SW CoCoRaHS 94.53
NY STONY POINT 0.7 NW CoCoRaHS 94.26

Data for July 1, 2023 through September 13, 2024
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
NJ MINE HILL TWP 0.4 NE CoCoRaHS 91.06
NJ HIGHLAND LAKES 1SW COOP 90.12

Time Series Summary for HIGHTSTOWN 2 W, NJ - Jan through Dec
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending most 95° days on record
1 2024 21  
2 2002 17 0
3 1955 16 8
4 1953 14 0
5 2021 13 0
- 2018 13 1
- 2016 13 2
- 2010 13 4
- 1988 13 0
- 1949 13 0

1 hour ago, the_other_guy said:

this isnt a drought.

Perhaps people have gotten used to a constant deluge of rain that has been our way the last several years.

I invite you to go out west to places that are really in a drought.

I remind you of years like 1995 here when we were really in a drought.

Perspective. 

Right, it’s a dry spell for some (definitely not here and east of here that got drowned a few weeks ago). There are so many ways we get deluged these days that the rain will be back soon. That being said the ridge will likely have to weaken significantly and confluence weaken before much if any rain makes it here. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, the_other_guy said:

this isnt a drought.

Perhaps people have gotten used to a constant deluge of rain that has been our way the last several years.

I invite you to go out west to places that are really in a drought.

I remind you of years like 1995 here when we were really in a drought.

Perspective. 

Yeah we'd need like <1" for the next 3 months and by then it would be winter and nobody would really notice. 2005 had a very dry September before the floodgates opened in October so chances are this will end soon

• 100% 1

2 hours ago, Allsnow said:

Send rain please 

I am with you on this. I know some people point out that it's far from a drought and fall is here soon anyway, but some of us care about the growing season which goes through October.

Still tomatoes and lots of other stuff in my vegetable garden producing, and now I have fall lettuce out there that will be producing through October.

Of course watering will keep this stuff going, but it's always better to get some rain off and on. VERY dry out there right now and we really could use some rain.

Hopefully next week but it's very questionable whether it will make it this far north. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

I am with you on this. I know some people point out that it's far from a drought and fall is here soon anyway, but some of us care about the growing season which goes through October.

Still tomatoes and lots of other stuff in my vegetable garden producing, and now I have fall lettuce out there that will be producing through October.

Of course watering will keep this stuff going, but it's always better to get some rain off and on. VERY dry out there right now and we really could use some rain.

Hopefully next week but it's very questionable whether it will make it this far north. 

Know it the time to reseed lawns but with no rain in the forecast it’s not worth it. I get that CT got lots of rain in one day but in general the entire area needs rain 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Know it the time to reseed lawns but with no rain in the forecast it’s not worth it. I get that CT got lots of rain in one day but in general the entire area needs rain 

I put down a lot of seed, but am lucky enough to have an irrigation system.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, FPizz said:

I put down a lot of seed, but am lucky enough to have an irrigation system.  

This. If you have irrigation, this is the best time to have seed down. Controlled watering and no risk of washouts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NCPOW said:

This. If you have irrigation, this is the best time to have seed down. Controlled watering and no risk of washouts. 

I still remember the time I seeded my whole yard about a week before Floyd's 10 inches of rain....had to redo it all

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Allsnow said:

That's for sure.  Reseeded twice, the first time right before the semi rainy week about a month ago, and basically nothing germinating, watered every day, starter fertilizer, covered with enriched topsoil, nuthin. Did get some nice spurge, even though I used crabgrass preventer as soon as the forsynthias started to bloom, and then about a month after that.  I beginning to believe sometimes these products are not quite legit?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, winterwx21 said:

Euro's alone now in showing nothing. Gfs ukie and cmc all have at least a half inch or more

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Euro's alone now in showing nothing. Gfs ukie and cmc all have at least a half inch or more

And I see the new run of Euro now brings in the rain for Wednesday. Good news. CMC is aggressive in bringing it in Tuesday afternoon. Starting to look better, but a long way to go. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

And I see the new run of Euro now brings in the rain for Wednesday. Good news. CMC is aggressive in bringing it in Tuesday afternoon. Starting to look better, but a long way to go. 

Big jump north by some of the model today including the ICON-here's the 12z Euro

1727049600-wepKls6Aeuc.png

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Exactly, being a horticulturalist drought is my least favorite weather. This weekend I’m sure people will really start to notice as even weeds on the side of roads are starting to brown out. Luckily we are in a lower sun angle time of year, had this been may or June we have actual problems. 

Luckily, we haven’t had major drought conditions here since 2002. While the South Shore has had brown lawn episodes from time to time, it was nothing like what we had in 1995, 1999, and early 2000s with those droughts. Plus many times there were watering restrictions in those days so you couldn’t even water in some areas if you wanted to.

But it’s nearly impossible to avoid nuisance soil moisture dry patterns from time to time. We learned this growing up on the South Shore when the sea breeze fronts often favor the North Shore especially early to mid summer.

Long Beach always had issues with trees dropping leaves in the summer . All those Long Beach Sycamores were notorious for early leaf drops before all the Sandy damage. Then nearly all of them that were left had to be removed due to the salt water damage from the surge. The last 15 year period has also featured the most wind damage to trees we have ever seen across the area. So the tree removal and trimming business probably has never been better. We had to have a bunch of trees removed when I was back in SW Suffolk due to wind damage. 

IMG_1167.thumb.jpeg.7901e769efd026013ed75f10f2184931.jpeg

IMG_1169.thumb.jpeg.8df92c7f700e21696fedd9e44935d915.jpeg

• Like 1

Generally near normal to somewhat above normal temperatures will likely persist through the third week of September, if not longer. Excessive heat appears unlikely.

Dry conditions will likely persist into at least the middle of next week. Afterward, some moisture from the southeast could try to move into the area, but its progress northward remains uncertain given an expected strong ridge to the North.

In terms of dry weather regionally, today is on track to become Boston's 24th consecutive day without measurable precipitation. That would be tied for the 8th longest dry stretch on record. Records go back to 1872.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.4°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was -0.1°C for the week centered around September 4. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.30°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged -0.10°C. Neutral ENSO conditions will likely evolve into a La Niña event during the fall.

The SOI was -4.81 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was -1.205 today.

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 54% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal September (1991-2020 normal). September will likely finish with a mean temperature near 69.4° (0.2° above normal).