LGA:  95 (1991)
JFK: 89 (1991)

Lows:

EWR: 42 (1984)
NYC: 47 (1966)
LGA: 48 (1984)
JFK:  48 (1959)

Historical:

1881 - Iowa's earliest measurable snow of record fell over western sections of the state. Four to six inches was reported between Stuart and Avoca. (The Weather Channel)

1888: An estimated F2 tornado struck Washington, DC. The tornado first touched down on the south side of the city then moved up Maryland Avenue. The National Museum and Botanical Gardens were damaged before the tornado lifted off the ground. 

1928 - Hurricane San Felipe, a monster hurricane, which left 600 dead in Guadeloupe, and 300 dead in Puerto Rico, struck West Palm Beach FL causing enormous damage, and then headed for Lake Okeechobee. When the storm was over, the lake covered an area the size of the state of Delaware, and beneath its waters were 2000 victims. The only survivors were those who reached large hotels for safety, and a group of fifty people who got onto a raft to take their chances out in the middle of the lake. (David Ludlum)

1928: The Okeechobee Hurricane, also known as the San Felipe Segundo Hurricane was one of the deadliest hurricanes in the history of the Atlantic basin. This Hurricane made landfall near West Palm Beach, Florida as a Category 4 storm during the evening hours of the 16th. The storm surge caused water to pour out of the southern edge of Lake Okeechobee, flooding hundreds of square miles as high as 20 feet. This storm killed over 4,000 people, including 2,500 in Florida. 

1961 - Hurricane Esther was seeded by Navy planes in the inaugural experiment of what was to formally become Project STORMFURY next year. Esther was the first hurricane to be initially detected by satellite. On Sept. 10th, TIROS III imaged an area of disturbed weather a hundred miles southwest of the Cabo Verde Islands.

1984 - The remains of Tropical Storm Edourd began to produce torrential rains in the Lower Rio Grande Valley of Texas. Port Isabel reported more than 21 inches. (The Weather Channel)

1987 - Overnight rains soaked Arkansas, with 5.25 inches reported at Bismarck. In the town of Malvern, up to four feet of water was reported over several downtown streets, with water entering some homes and businesses. Thunderstorms in Texas drenched Lufkin with 4.30 inches of rain in just three hours. Evening thunderstorms produced severe weather in Missouri. A small tornado near Kirksville lifted a barn thirty feet into the air and then demolished it. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1988 - Hurricane Gilbert moved ashore into Mexico. The hurricane established an all-time record for the western hemisphere with a barometric reading of 26.13 inches. Winds approached 200 mph, with higher gusts. Gilbert devastated Jamaica and the Yucatan Peninsula. (The Weather Channel) Hurricane Gilbert made landfall 120 miles south of Brownsville TX during the early evening. Winds gusted to 61 mph at Brownsville, and reached 82 mph at Padre Island. Six foot tides eroded three to four feet off beaches along the Lower Texas Coast, leaving the waterline seventy-five feet farther inland. Rainfall totals ranged up to 8.71 inches at Lamar TX. Gilbert caused three million dollars damage along the Lower Texas Coast, but less than a million dollars damage along the Middle Texas Coast. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1989 - Showers and thunderstorms, respresenting what remained of Hurricane Octave, brought locally heavy rains to California, impeding the drying process for raisins and other crops. Sacramento CA was soaked with 1.53 inches of rain in six hours. At Phoenix AZ, the afternoon high of 107 degrees marked a record seventy-six days with afternoon highs 105 degrees or above. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

2004 - Hurricane Ivan turned northward over cooler waters, and made landfall in southern Alabama as a Category 3 storm. Hurricane Ivan had a very unusual track almost making a huge circle.

We are on track for one of the most easterly flow dominant Septembers on record. Nearly half the days this month so far at a station like JFK had their strongest gust of the day from an easterly component. The rest of the month should feature most of the days with easterly flow.

Direction of strongest daily wind gust at JFK 

9-16….NE…19

9-15….SE…25

9-14….S……15

9-13….S…..16

9-12….SE…17

9-11….SSE..18

9-10….N…..20

9-9…..S……27

9-8…..NW…32

9-7…..W…..34

9-6…..E…..20

9-5….E…..22

9-4….SE….23

9-3….N……29

9-2….NW….37

9-1…..SW….13

Forecast

IMG_1227.thumb.png.56b14b974381d8c9070c70415732c7dd.png
IMG_1228.thumb.png.a3677a86caa6c44040cd7697e3ba0264.png

• Like 3

67 / 60  clouds and some sun.   What could be the last dry day of the stretch with no rain.   More humid , warm near 80 in the warmer spots otherise upper 70s.   Wed - Thu, showers and we'll see if the steady rain is aimed along the coast or stays offshore.  Clouds linger Thu before ridge builds on top and high pressure forces NE flow clearing out Fri and a cooler weekend.   Stuckup-ish pattern linger into next week - watching tropics in the GOM and subsequent remnants or low long the EC in the period.

9/17 - 9/19:   Clouds, showers watch for potential steady rains
9/20:  dries out / warm
9/21 - 9/24:   Coole NE  Flow - dry
9/25 - 9/29 : Watch tropics, low 

vis_nj_anim.gif

I dunno, yeah it hasn't rained in a bit but the dew has been thick on the clear mornings and the rest have been foggy. It's crazy dense again this morning, so much so that it sounds like rain falling off the trees. The only stuff in my garden that's needed watering is the hanging plants in coir baskets, that stuff gets parched in just a few hours of sun.

After 95+ inches of rain in ~14 months the soil moisture is still good a few inches down. If your lawn is browned out you have the wrong mix of grasses. 

• Like 3
  • 100% 1

I know many are reducing the number of expected named storms for hurricane season, but I am thinking those numbers have to come down even more. I just don’t see things changing all that much in the two and a half months left in the season. We have many of the key ingredients, but the baker did not show up for his shift to combine the ingredients.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

I know many are reducing the number of expected named storms for hurricane season, but I am thinking those numbers have to come down even more. I just don’t see things changing all that much in the two and a half months left in the season. We have many of the key ingredients, but the baker did not show up for his shift to combine the ingredients.

Yeah we are down to in close development type systems-the MDR remains dead.    So maybe another 3-5 named systems at best.

two_atl_0d0.png?170727

• 100% 1

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

I dunno, yeah it hasn't rained in a bit but the dew has been thick on the clear mornings and the rest have been foggy. It's crazy dense again this morning, so much so that it sounds like rain falling off the trees. The only stuff in my garden that's needed watering is the hanging plants in coir baskets, that stuff gets parched in just a few hours of sun.

After 95+ inches of rain in ~14 months the soil moisture is still good a few inches down. If your lawn is browned out you have the wrong mix of grasses. 

It always seems that way up NW of the city. Takes allot longer to dry out. Down here anything ornamental that’s not irrigated has really started to show stress. I was at my dads Sunday and all the hydrangeas were past the wilt stage and were brown and crispy (he was away for 2 weeks). I’m not saying we’re are in a traditional drought were you have long term large departures but any plants that do not have an extensive root system are at risk in these situations. It’s a big part of the native plant movement, as native plants (non cultivars) tend to have more extensive root systems. 

8 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

It’s a big part of the native plant movement, as native plants (non cultivars) tend to have more extensive root systems. 

That's what I alluded to when I said the wrong types of grass. My lawn, such as it is, is lush and vibrant summer green. I've never used store bought seeds or fertilizer and never ever water it. I do the no-mow thing in the spring in the backyard then strip thousands and thousands of seeds and spread them in the front. Are they all natives? Probably not but they're strong and self sufficient.

• 100% 1