Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Tropical Storm Debby: Mid-Atlantic Impacts

WxWatcher007

8 minutes ago, weatherCCB said:

Up to 60mph with 11 am advisory 

hmmm... since the previous couple of advisories had Debby only achieving about 50mph max up until 2nd LF, this is a bit of a surprise, wondering how much more strengthening can happen while over water.  Debby still not far enough offshore to be influenced much (if at all) by the Gulf Stream?

If you recall yesterday, I said to watch for convection and broader structure organization as Debby pushed offshore. 

Recon still shows a broad wind field, but radar shows solid banding and IR shows convection trying to build closer to the center. We’ll see how much progress it makes today. 

53510387.gif?0.2753601411637687

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe9100uvnu1wjonxsnms4e

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

If you recall yesterday, I said to watch for convection and broader structure organization as Debby pushed offshore. 

Recon still shows a broad wind field, but radar shows solid banding and IR shows convection trying to build closer to the center. We’ll see how much progress it makes today. 

53510387.gif?0.2753601411637687

Yeah but you can see the north movement now... so I think it time is limited over water.

Just now, Interstate said:

Yeah but you can see the north movement now... so I think it time is limited over water.

Time and the broad center are definitely limiting factors. NHC has 12-24 hours before landfall.

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Time and the broad center are definitely limiting factors. NHC has 12-24 hours before landfall.

Also reading the NWS product... they are increasing the speed to 60 MPH because of that one flare up to the south-east of the center... So the structure really has not changed and there is limited shower/tstorm activity near the center.

1 minute ago, Interstate said:

Also reading the NWS product... they are increasing the speed to 60 MPH because of that one flare up to the south-east of the center... So the structure really has not changed and there is limited shower/tstorm activity near the center.

Right, but it normally only takes one area to raise the maximum sustained wind. I disagree on the structure. To be clear, it’s still broad with dry air clearly entrained, but compared to yesterday or even this morning it has become more organized imo. 

For this region the wind doesn’t matter, but if it’s better organized at landfall that should help moisture transport as it landfalls and speeds up. 

The visible shows it well imo. 

43808718.gif?0.3039206481088347

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, peribonca said:

Really hoping everyone gets drenched but especially the mountains. The Shenandoah/GWNF trout streams have had a couple rough years and can really use some water

Most of the highlands you can walk across the rivers and streams and in some cases, not even get your feet wet.  It's difficult to fully appreciate unless you've been out there.

• Like 1