• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Tropical Storm Debby: Mid-Atlantic Impacts

WxWatcher007

I don’t need to tell you that it’s been a dry summer.

enfNSHv.png

The anomalously strong tropical wave that traversed the Atlantic made landfall in Florida this morning as a category one hurricane, and as it meanders in the southeast bringing potentially catastrophic flooding in parts of FL, GA, and SC, it’s time for a thread to track impacts in the Mid-Atlantic region. 

Debby is emphatically a rain event. It’s not just the slow movement in the south that will cause issues, it’s the presence of a coming trough and anomalously high moisture content that will bring flooding potential along most of the U.S. East Coast. 

FDMQgop.jpeg

QCHzWKy.png

A lot remains unclear on impacts in the region. It’s a high likelihood that significant rain occurs, but how much and how far west the rain gets, as well as coastal wind, surge, and severe weather impacts will be determined by the structural organization of the low after a likely landfall in SC, and the track as it moves north and northeast. 

Here’s the latest forecast.

klzazru.png

YvHoomm.jpeg
Eq20ReL.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 9

Dont normally want a tropical storm out here in the mountains. The flooding can be very bad. But we need the rain so bad right now. I would take whatever I can get. My yard is literally splitting like it is the dust bowl or something. Worst summer of my life after the worst winter of my life. We are really getting beat down in this region. 

• Like 7

Excited for this storm, first interesting weather event in a long time.  Almost as good as a nice snowstorm at this point.  Hopefully we get in the bullseye and get 7+ inches. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Interesting how there are no "misses" on the 18z GEFS. Confidence definitely going up.

It looks like one of those big tropical rain events that hits Japan and China. I think they call extreme rain events, black rain warning. Black rain warning sounds so much cooler. This looks like a black rain event. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, weatherCCB said:

Looks like it might be back over water sooner that forecast.

56 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

WB 18Z GEFS

IMG_3759.png

IMG_3757.png

Hey Will. Not sure if you meant to post it but that's the euro ensembles.

29 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

Sorry but have to see it to believe it.  I'd be shocked and ecstatic to see more then a couple tenths

Given how bad it has been, that’s a reasonable take lol. You’re in the extreme drought zone, right?

20 minutes ago, aldie 22 said:

That map doesn't upset me

And for a lot of us, the rain’s spread out from this evening through late Friday. So that would reduce flooding risks and help it soak in. Euro really emphasizes the rain tomorrow and Thursday with onshore flow focused along the front through our area. 

• Like 8