Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
Hurricane Debby - flooding rain threat region wide

14 minutes ago, marsman said:

WRAL: 1 fatality in Wilson.

2.97" and counting so far after only .41" yesterday.

I just read that. Very sad. Looks like another possible brief tornado occurred just east of rocky mount. This is becoming a prolific tornado producer in eastern NC. We’re at 4.65” storm total but 1.55” of that came from the first band in 45 minutes. Not much here yesterday but it’s been a lot of rain today with close to 3”

I am guessing rain will be on the low side of forecast in the triad. Many approaching 3", but if the HRRR is to be believed, heavier rain bands will be more hit or miss from here on out. Still many hours to go. On the other hand wind way over performed. The NWS was calling for gusts under 30 mph, but GSO has reported 5 out of the last 6 hours with gusts over 40mph and one gust to 47

• Like 1

As of yesterday morning’s update I had received 10.3” from Debby. I’ve since had an additional 0.6” to give me a Debby grand total (over 3 days) of 10.9”, easily the largest amount from a single event here since Matthew of Oct 7-8, 2016.

Together with the 10” I got 7/19-8/3 from PM convection, I’ve received 20.9” during just the 20 day period of 7/19-8/7. Thus, any possible heavy rains from tropical or other during the next few weeks could be extra problematic.

• Like 2

While we most definitely will crack 6” in my backyard (almost there) it was spread out over 3 days and there was a long lull. If all 6” had fallen today it would’ve been a significantly worse situation, obviously. With a forecast that had totals shown as 10-15” within 18 hours of start time, this wasn’t even close to verifying. I know it’s in in line with earlier forecasts. I think the lack of any substantial banding before today and Debby’s increased motion really helped keep totals down. Obviously an impactful storm and a lot of flooding but most of it was run of the mill flooding. Guess we’ll see how the rivers respond through the week. Looking ahead, this has certainly set the stage for significant flooding should we get another system. With much of the southeast now flooded or waterlogged, another storm could be very bad. Something to watch with an orange in the Atlantic at present 

Tropical-related Tornado Watch extended until 7AM due to the ongoing tornadic threats related to the remnants of Debby over Central and Eastern NC along with nearly all of VA, and DC. 

I checked my garage for the 1st time since the rain ended on Wednesday and noticed I have standing water in a small portion of my garage (along a wall) and that doors to a storage room on that side are wrinkled on the bottom despite the water having receded where they are. (see pic below) Also, cardboard boxes for things I’ve stored in there for years are damp up 6”.

As stated earlier, I got 10.9” from Debby over a 3 day period.

And finally this one was interesting as you can see a clear notch wrapping in from the left and a bit of a point just left of the distant buildings. Can't say for sure if that was an attempt at a funnel but it made a solid attempt to organize over north Raleigh on the afternoon of 8/8.
GUitvnJW0AErTbK?format=jpg&name=4096x409 
  • Like 2