• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
Hurricane Debby - flooding rain threat region wide

Man. Timing on this sucks. I’m piping about 20 feet of ditch that was left unconnected between two culvert pipes on my back property line because previous owners were cheapskates. Ditch is yard low point, one storm drain on neighbors side above open ditch already there. Connecting the culvert pipe, installing second drain feeding into main culvert and building a French drain between both yard drains spanning about 15 feet that connects into new yard drain basin. End result will be surface water gets channeled into first drain, if it overwhelms it is channeled down French drain path terminating at second drain and ditch is fully filled in and leveled.

If this was next week it would be the perfect test case. Alas, now it’s just gonna delay me working on it.

1 hour ago, btownheel said:

Man. Timing on this sucks. I’m piping about 20 feet of ditch that was left unconnected between two culvert pipes on my back property line because previous owners were cheapskates. Ditch is yard low point, one storm drain on neighbors side above open ditch already there. Connecting the culvert pipe, installing second drain feeding into main culvert and building a French drain between both yard drains spanning about 15 feet that connects into new yard drain basin. End result will be surface water gets channeled into first drain, if it overwhelms it is channeled down French drain path terminating at second drain and ditch is fully filled in and leveled.

If this was next week it would be the perfect test case. Alas, now it’s just gonna delay me working on it.

Just built a concrete pool into the side of a hill. We shall see how well my French drains I designed and built behind the walls work. Good luck to you sir.

Oops, I didn’t realize this thread was here. Here’s a repost of what I said an hour ago in the Aug obs thread:

I estimate that I’m at 8.5” so far from Debby (over last ~30 hours) with only ~1/2” since 2AM allowing good progress on drainage. If we were to not get too much more from this point forward (where I’m leaning now), I’d be near the low end of the range of predictions, which had a pretty good amount for today and tomorrow. As of last night I had guessed at least another 4” between then and Thursday. Still an 8.5” rain is enough to qualify as a very big rain event due to its rarity and likely is the largest since Matthew of early Oct of 2016. Also, some nearby areas (Effingham and Jasper counties) got 10-11” per CoCoRaHS.

The storm is currently centered just E of here along the coast about to be offshore. Winds and rain are very light near the storm center.

As the Debby center moved to the SE offshore finally putting us on the backside, winds increased some and steady mainly moderate rains resumed about 1.5 hours ago after little rain since late last night. I had been at ~8.5” for the storm before this. We’ll see how much gets added from this and more to come tonight.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GaWx said:

As the Debby center moved to the SE offshore finally putting us on the backside, winds increased some and steady mainly moderate rains resumed about 1.5 hours ago after little rain since late last night. I had been at ~8.5” for the storm before this. We’ll see how much gets added from this and more to come tonight.

Further to the above’s 8.5”, I’ve gotten an additional 1.8” since ~6PM yesterday for an updated total so far of ~10.3”, easily the largest amount from a single event since Matthew of early Oct of 2016.

There’s still on and off light rain falling and it’s breezy here on the backside.

@buckeyefan1please pin this thread. Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eyewall said:

So far I am not impressed with what I see regarding the rainbands for our region. I am wondering if there will be additional cutbacks in forecast totals.

If I didn’t know any better, I’d think this is just a meandering upper level low. 

• Weenie 1

River and creek levels are getting ready to pop tomorrow night and Friday as all of this runoff makes its way east.  5-7" over most of the area in a 24 hour period?  Yeah, expect some shocking videos.  Emergency response calls for equipment started coming in this morning.  Lots of folks already flooded out of their homes down south.  This is going to get ugly for a couple days.

• Thanks 1

Lots of flash flood warnings and a couple flash flood emergencies this morning. We’re around 4” for the event now. Western piedmont looks locked in for a bad flooding event. Here it may be wherever that tail sets up as Debby pulls north and northeastward. Some areas to the west that get that pivot could exceed 10” (which is what they had forecast here a couple days ago). I think were probably going to end up with 5-6” here which obviously is a significant event but there could be a couple more if that tail sets up overhead 

Also wind is starting to get cranked a bit. Noticed outages increasing. With the wet soils 30-40 mph gusts will be capable of more of that through the morning. Lots of 30+ gusts showing up right now. Probably won’t be a ton of outages but definitely something that’s affecting us now 

Nice job. Thank you. Certainly a serious situation. No Doubt based on those images. Wondering how much the daytime heating is going to enhance the coverage in the outer right side bands. Going to be an interesting few hours