• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Potential POCKETS 5+, at most MAX 12" rain by 18z Sunday. Suggest OBS Tue-Sunday only when exceeding 5". Already at 12z/Wed "tiny" pockets 5-7" I195 NNJ/NYC area

wdrag

5 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

It depends. Isaias was very high impact on LI despite almost no rain. Gusts to hurricane force and many trees down. Debby was a weak TS when it came in, Isaias was a near Cat 2 and did track further east, was also quicker up the coast and wasn’t able to degrade as much. But in general any tropical system going west of us at this latitude will have little rain, but much more wind especially near the coast. There was no inversion so a stronger system would’ve meant damaging wind. Even with this we had gusts into the 40s here and the strongest winds in the whole system most likely. 

Isaias was my worst wind damage back on the South Shore in the last decade. Had SE gusts to 75-80 mph with numerous trees downed. Was also my longest power outage since Sandy. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Isaias was my worst wind damage back on the South Shore in the last decade. Had SE gusts to 75-80 mph with numerous trees downed. Was also my longest power outage since Sandy. 

If it would’ve had 8 more hours to strengthen over water off NC and came in at 110-120 mph, we would’ve been in serious trouble given how fast it came north. Would’ve likely still been a solid Cat 1. 

36 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The strong south wind from Isaias sent salt spray all the way to my area, some 10 miles from the ocean. The spray killed the leaves on the south facing side of many trees. Some trees did not survive.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lee59 said:

The strong south wind from Isaias sent salt spray all the way to my area, some 10 miles from the ocean. The spray killed the leaves on the south facing side of many trees. Some trees did not survive.

We had that here too I'm 5 miles in from the sound...the lack of rain didn't help otherwise it would have washed the salt off the leaves

CpoCoRaHs amounts where there were reports overlapping 8/4-10/24 to match up with the original post WPC.  Not too bad in our area by WPC and it would have been a much better fit but Debby ended up much further west D5-6. 

The first image shows the max amounts (reported in gold and red).

Then the break down in our NYC subforum. 

Pockets of 5-7" evident in NNJ.  Click for clarity.

Wantage NJ (this part ) 4.81". 

Screen Shot 2024-08-10 at 9.48.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-08-10 at 9.49.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-08-10 at 9.52.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-08-10 at 9.53.37 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

Total rain at Montreal's downtown airport (also known as Dorval) on Friday was 154 mm (6.06"). Granby located closer to n VT border reported 110.4 mm 4.34". Some strong wind gusts near 45 also reported. 

Record rains in Montreal this month following the wettest month on record in July for Toronto.

17 hours ago, Rtd208 said:

You don't get money for just declaring an SOE, it enables you to be able to recoup money from costs associated with the storm but its not automatic. Beyond the money aspect it also allows for federal assets to be deployed to said area.

Not 100% sure, but the way it was worded, the State of Emergency was declared for the threat of severe weather, which it was obvious was already passed by the official declaration by 6 PM.  State offices were closed at 1:30 PM.  Almost sounds like when the cats away, the mice will play.  So every fallen tree, routine river swelling is a responsibility of the federal government?  Something doesn't sound legitimate...

6 hours ago, Dark Star said:

Not 100% sure, but the way it was worded, the State of Emergency was declared for the threat of severe weather, which it was obvious was already passed by the official declaration by 6 PM.  State offices were closed at 1:30 PM.  Almost sounds like when the cats away, the mice will play.  So every fallen tree, routine river swelling is a responsibility of the federal government?  Something doesn't sound legitimate...

Yeah it was a bad call to declare a SOE beginning at 6 pm. If anything it should have gone into effect 12 hours earlier but I don't feel there was enough justification for it yesterday imo. If we were going to be see the 6-10" of rain which the forecast models had earlier in the week then there certinaly would have been justification for it.