• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
Potential POCKETS 5+, at most MAX 12" rain by 18z Sunday. Suggest OBS Tue-Sunday only when exceeding 5". Already at 12z/Wed "tiny" pockets 5-7" I195 NNJ/NYC area

wdrag

Past 3 hours max gusts...fit the EC max Gust maps offered for several days (they  post in MPH, these listed here are in knots). 

Extreme & Weird Weather of the World - Wind

This web page displays world cities having the most unique weather during the past three hours.

Currently using 33107 observations from 5215 unique global stations over the past 3 hours.

Last Updated: Fri Aug 9 21:17:30 UTC 2024.(517PM EDT)

0 stations reporting wind gusts 70kt or stronger

1 station reporting wind gusts 60-69kt
KMWN: Mount Washington, NH, United States [63kt, 32m/s]

20 stations reporting wind gusts 40-49kt
CYAS: Kangirsuk Stn, Canada [41kt, 21m/s]
EGQL: Leuchars, United Kingdom [40kt, 21m/s]
KACY: Atlantic City, Atlantic City Intl Arpt, NJ, United States [42kt, 22m/s]
KBDR: Bridgeport, CT, United States [43kt, 22m/s]
KC99: Dakota Hill, CO, United States [41kt, 21m/s]
KDDH: Bennington, VT, United States [43kt, 22m/s]
KFRG: Farmingdale, Republic Airport, NY, United States [40kt, 21m/s]
KHPN: White Plains, NY, United States [42kt, 22m/s]
KISP: Islip, Long Island Mac Arthur Airport, NY, United States [40kt, 21m/s]
KITH: Ithaca / Tompkins County, NY, United States [43kt, 22m/s]
KJFK: JFK Intl Arpt, NY, United States [40kt, 21m/s]
KLGA: New York, La Guardia Airport, NY, United States [45kt, 23m/s]
KMPO: Mount Pocono, PA, United States [46kt, 24m/s]
KNEL: Lakehurst, NJ, United States [40kt, 21m/s]
KRIL: Rifle, Garfield County Regional Airport, CO, United States [41kt, 21m/s]
KRME: Griffiss AFB / Rome, NY, United States [42kt, 22m/s]
KTEB: Teterboro, Teterboro Airport, NJ, United States [40kt, 21m/s]
KTTN: Trenton, Mercer County Airport, NJ, United States [44kt, 23m/s]
KVRB: Vero Beach, FL, United States [45kt, 23m/s]
OIZB: Zabol, Iran [41kt, 21m/s]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Bring on the dry air and low dewpoints 

It's going to be spectacular this weekend through most of next week. Hopefully your friend took your good advice to not cancel the party tomorrow. I'm having a cookout here tomorrow. It's going to be perfect weather for it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

It's going to be spectacular this weekend through most of next week. Hopefully your friend took your good advice to not cancel the party tomorrow. I'm having a cookout here tomorrow. It's going to be perfect weather for it. 

Yeah I'll ask her Monday but hopefully not

8 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Past 3 hours max gusts...fit the EC max Gust maps offered for several days (they  post in MPH, these listed here are in knots). 

Extreme & Weird Weather of the World - Wind

OIZB: Zabol, Iran [41kt, 21m/s]

Probably a very hot wind in Iran.  

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Some people are so far behind with the weather. I was at the grocery store today, and someone said they thought it was supposed to rain tomorrow. lol

Ever since the apps people expect the forecast to be nailed down to the nearest minute. Now we have the state of emergency when the worst has already moved through

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Ever since the apps people expect the forecast to be nailed down to the nearest minute. Now we have the state of emergency when the worst has already moved through

The declaration of a State of Emergency beginning at 6:00pm is just an embarassment IMO. They toss around SOEs these days like candy, its not about the publics safety anymore its about recouping money. No wonder why no one takes it seriously.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

The declaration of a State of Emergency beginning at 6:00pm is just an embarassment IMO. They toss around SOEs these days like candy, its not about the publics safety anymore its about recouping money. No wonder why no one takes it seriously.

Just because you declare a State of Emergency gets you money?  What kind of scam is that?

11 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

Just because you declare a State of Emergency gets you money?  What kind of scam is that?

So basically if you declare an SOE it enables you to recoup money from the feds for costs associated with a particular weather event etc. I mean they have started issuing SOEs for snowstorms under 12", they never did that years ago. If we are expecting a winter storm with a foot or more of snow then a SOE is justified imo. Its all about the money now.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

So basically if you declare an SOE it enables you to recoup money from the feds for costs associated with a particular weather event etc. I mean they have started issuing SOEs for snowstorms under 12", they never did that years ago. If we are expecting a winter storm with a foot or more of snow then a SOE is justified imo. Its all about the money now.

But I still don't understand, shouldn't you have to show proof of damages?  Making a declaration means nothing.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Get in on the taxpayer funded gravy train.  

1 minute ago, Dark Star said:

But I still don't understand, shouldn't you have to show proof of damages?  Making a declaration means nothing.

Maybe they declare an soe, then whatever happens, no matter how minor, they can bill the feds.  Like a single culvert clogs and they need an 11 man union crew to fix it for $30k.  

15 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

You don't get money for just declaring an SOE, it enables you to be able to recoup money from costs associated with the storm but its not automatic. Beyond the money aspect it also allows for federal assets to be deployed to said area.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

It’s not that simple but could start the process to get federal money. SOE’s are often declared so that the government can do whatever is needed to get things back to normal including not following their own laws including procurement policies. An example that comes to mind was in 2013 when Long Island ran low on road salt and NY declared an SOE which allowed trucks delivering road salt to travel on roads that they were normally overweight for. All that said, not sure why NJ declared one tonight. 2.04” here for the day, 4.04” for the month, ready for a glorious weekend. 

2 hours ago, Allsnow said:

Tornado watch has been canceled. 

Let this be a reminder in the future with these extra tropical systems that track west of us…

The effects will be minimal 

You need it to take a track up the Delaware give or take-this one was almost to Pittsburgh.

12 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

You need it to take a track up the Delaware give or take-this one was almost to Pittsburgh.

It depends. Isaias was very high impact on LI despite almost no rain. Gusts to hurricane force and many trees down. Debby was a weak TS when it came in, Isaias was a near Cat 2 and did track further east, was also quicker up the coast and wasn’t able to degrade as much. But in general any tropical system going west of us at this latitude will have little rain, but much more wind especially near the coast. There was no inversion so a stronger system would’ve meant damaging wind. Even with this we had gusts into the 40s here and the strongest winds in the whole system most likely. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1