• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
Potential POCKETS 5+, at most MAX 12" rain by 18z Sunday. Suggest OBS Tue-Sunday only when exceeding 5". Already at 12z/Wed "tiny" pockets 5-7" I195 NNJ/NYC area

wdrag

19 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I'm waiting to see what the Yankees do. Have tickets for the game tonight.

Hopefully they will be more gracious than their cross town rivals and let the fans know before 3 hours AFTER game time to cancel...

• Like 1

CoCoRaHs reports through the Friday morning reporting periods of generally 5-9AM EDT Aug 9.  You can see the pockets of 5-7"already in NJ with a 9 down hear Trenton, and not seen here but Im pretty sure 9+ in very narrow swath near Bear in northern Delaware, that occurred solely between approximately 4-9PM last evening. Forced two small rivers in N DE to flash rise 10 feet in 5 hours into minor-moderate flood. Both have receded this morning. Had to have major impact in I95 in n DE but didnt see much in the media. NYS Mesonet 5.98 in the Bronx reporting station, as of 10AM. 

Debby track west of multi modeled around 8/4 post time,  results in sparing the region of major flood problem today, but maybe not so wind uproots of wet ground created during this week. Still was life altering rains (delays, detours) for some Tuesday evening the 6th in NJ/LI/NYC.

May update on power outages late today and remnant rain... the 12z/9 HRRR giving two bands to NYC-LI this evening, while most other 06z-12z/9 modeling less 1/2" NYC-LI-coastal NJ.

From what I've seen, I think the wind damage will be important this afternoon...hard to tell how much, but smaller removable by hand wet branches down here in extreme nw NJ without much wind...max G so far 25-40MPH as of 10A  in nw NJ. 

Click maps for clarity. 

Screen Shot 2024-08-09 at 10.13.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-08-09 at 10.14.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-08-09 at 10.15.56 AM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

So a torndo watch until only 2 PM?  I take it any atmospheric support conditions will have exited before any potential heavy downpours arrive closer to 4 PM?

I’m sure SPC will extend time or issue a new watch. 

Just now, nycwinter said:

there was no need for that... the game could be played tonight..

A friend of mine is a ticket rep. He said they postponed because forecast for tomorrow and Sunday look great so need to try and squeeze it in tonight and make everyone miserable. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pappa Giorgio said:

A friend of mine is a ticket rep. He said they postponed because forecast for tomorrow and Sunday look great so need to try and squeeze it in tonight and make everyone miserable. 

I think that is the smart move... especially with potential for a little wind damage prior to the pre piously scheduled evening game. Why put folks in harms way when excellent options exist for this weekend. Yes,  they probably could play tonight, though maybe with a rain delay.   NJ power outages increasing, just under 10K meters at 1130AM. 

At least tonights game wasn't postponed yesterday 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pappa Giorgio said:

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Pappa Giorgio said:

hard to win double headers yankees need to win games last night was not exactly a pleasant game to play in but they did it..

20 minutes ago, Big Jims Videos said:

Not expecting anything of significance at the beaches today. Maybe some gusty winds toward the afternoon. 

Basically another Ambrose Jet day with some showers tonight, then clearing out for the weekend. Should be nice. 

5 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

hard to win double headers yankees need to win games last night was not exactly a pleasant game to play in but they did it..

They played last night because it would have been hard for the Angels to come back before the end of the year.

I too am a little uncertain regarding how much rain this evening, but the 12Z/9 SPC HREF still has a brief period of one tenth inch NYC which would be a game delayer if played.  

Attached is an image from the SPC HREF Fire products (MINIMUM wind gusts) which is lot of 40s (MPH) for LI. Already NJ spotty 40-45 MPH. Power outages are past 11000 meters in NJ, including my county in nw NJ showing power outages. 

Recommended my wife not go out shopping til at least 3PM in extreme nw NJ to avoid falling branches.

My last comments til at least 5P.

We'll all live well, but pays to play it safe, especially with on-going evidence of increasing power outages in NJ. LI may be next on the power outage problem late today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1