Total Members
    Most Online
    Sirianni
    Newest Member
    Sirianni
2024-2025 Ski season Thread

Skivt2

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

Where are you moving to?  Hope it's not south coastal Maine - might get less snow there than at your current location.  :(

haha, it is but my sisters been there 20 years and almost always gets more than me. I like that I'm closer to the mountains and beaches. Just met the builder today and had preliminary plans drawn up.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

We're moving to Cape Neddick, I guess in retirement I'll be a Mainer, or is it Maniac?

We moved to Maine in January of 1973 but we're still "from away".  One of the worst things a "flatlander" (yet another epithet for those born in another state) can do is to pretend one is a Mainer.
However, I've almost never had any such terms thrown my way - folks have been quite accepting.  :D

PWM normal 1991-2020 is 68.8".  However, the most recent 5 winters have failed to reach 60, though 2017-18 had 92.4.  Cape Neddick is 1/3 of the way from PWM to BOX, so perhaps 10% (?) lower snowfall.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tamarack said:

We moved to Maine in January of 1973 but we're still "from away".  One of the worst things a "flatlander" (yet another epithet for those born in another state) can do is to pretend one is a Mainer.
However, I've almost never had any such terms thrown my way - folks have been quite accepting.  :D

PWM normal 1991-2020 is 68.8".  However, the most recent 5 winters have failed to reach 60, though 2017-18 had 92.4.  Cape Neddick is 1/3 of the way from PWM to BOX, so perhaps 10% (?) lower snowfall.

Moved here in 2003 (from the town next to Davis, actually).  Been here over half my life now, still considered "from away" (even despite all 4 grandparents being generational Mainers).  I've always thought being a Mainer is more about your attitude, and way of life, rather than where you were born.

I'm not sure how good the SN data from PSM is, but that'd be a better proxy for Cape Neddick than PWM.

Since this is the ski thread, I'll mention that the nearest ski area is 10 minutes away in South Berwick - Powderhouse Hill.  The smallest ski area in Maine.  $5 Cash only.  From their website.  The bolded line is funny and accurate.  Take a look at the parking lots at Sugarloaf and Sunday River and luxury SUVs make up, conservatively, 60% of vehicles.

Powderhouse Hill is a small, volunteer-run ski area located in South Berwick, Maine. The single, 800 foot long rope tow takes about 40 seconds to reach the top of the hill (and probably less than that to get down). The tow is uniquely powered by a converted 1938 Ford pickup truck that is encased by a shed at the top. Powderhouse is a throwback to the early days of skiing in New England, before snowmaking, high speed chairs, and $100 lift tickets made skiing accessible only to those with deep pockets and luxury SUVs. Powderhouse Hill has no snowmaking a

bility so it relies on natural snow to be open during the season. Locals know to check their Facebook page to see if the hill is open on any given day during ski season. Open days are celebrated by the faithful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tunafish said:

Moved here in 2003 (from the town next to Davis, actually).  Been here over half my life now, still considered "from away" (even despite all 4 grandparents being generational Mainers).  I've always thought being a Mainer is more about your attitude, and way of life, rather than where you were born.

I'm not sure how good the SN data from PSM is, but that'd be a better proxy for Cape Neddick than PWM.

Since this is the ski thread, I'll mention that the nearest ski area is 10 minutes away in South Berwick - Powderhouse Hill.  The smallest ski area in Maine.  $5 Cash only.  From their website.  The bolded line is funny and accurate.  Take a look at the parking lots at Sugarloaf and Sunday River and luxury SUVs make up, conservatively, 60% of vehicles.

Powderhouse Hill is a small, volunteer-run ski area located in South Berwick, Maine. The single, 800 foot long rope tow takes about 40 seconds to reach the top of the hill (and probably less than that to get down). The tow is uniquely powered by a converted 1938 Ford pickup truck that is encased by a shed at the top. Powderhouse is a throwback to the early days of skiing in New England, before snowmaking, high speed chairs, and $100 lift tickets made skiing accessible only to those with deep pockets and luxury SUVs. Powderhouse Hill has no snowmaking a

bility so it relies on natural snow to be open during the season. Locals know to check their Facebook page to see if the hill is open on any given day during ski season. Open days are celebrated by the faithful.

When we lived in Fort Kent, the Lonesome Pine area had only a rope tow.  As long as there were a good number of skiers on the rope, the 2,000' with 500' vertical wasn't too bad.  However, in the low snow winter of 1979-80 weather played catch-up in March, and on a screechingly windy Saturday after 30" in 10 days, there were very few on the slopes.  The rope had worn a deep groove in the new snow and with no one else to share the rope, it was dragging out of the groove about 3 feet from my tips - felt like the rope weighed a ton.
The wind blew the doctor from St. Francis off the narrower of the 2 trails, and as I passed him, I heard his call.  He'd injured his knee and though he probably could've skied down, he thought it wiser to ask for a ride.  I went down and alerted ski patrol and rode the rope again.  By the time I reached the bottom, the place was closed for safety reasons.  The following Monday evening we foresters drove to PQI for a forestry meeting and had to detour 100' east of Rt 1 for about 1/3 mile as the massive drifts from Saturday were still being dug out.  Only time I've driven thru a potato field.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tunafish said:

We had a place just like that in Woodstock, CT when I was a kid growing up, learned to ski there. Only had the rope tow and it would take a minute to get to the bottom of the hill and then ski over to the rope tow. The rope tow seemed tough for some people to use, people used to fall on the way up and fall on their face when they first grabbed the rope, fun times, I think the name was Ohoho, wonder of PF was old enough to remember it.

• Like 1

Coastal maine is meh for snow, even central maine is not orders of magnitude greater than say central Mass. you have to get off the CP into the foothills, highlands, mountains or north of Bangor for the difference in snowfall vs CNE/SNE to be pronounced. 

Maine still has a great local ski scene though, even outside of those better snow areas. Lost Valley, Abram, Black, Snow Bowl, Spruce, Big Squaw, Big Rock, Hermon, Jefferson, Lonesome Pines are all great hills where the blue collar spirit of the sport is alive and doing OK. To a lesser extent you could also include Pleasant and Saddleback to that list. Pleasant at night is still about as blue collar as it gets for the sport. Winterkids is an incredible local nonprofit helping kids and families from all over Maine access the sport and LLBean underwrites tix to Black and Abram where it costs $35 every day of the season. Vermont has better skiing but the culture here in Maine is closer to the sports past when it was for working people not just yuppies and retirees. 

• Like 1
  • 100% 1

8 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

We had a place just like that in Woodstock, CT when I was a kid growing up, learned to ski there. Only had the rope tow and it would take a minute to get to the bottom of the hill and then ski over to the rope tow. The rope tow seemed tough for some people to use, people used to fall on the way up and fall on their face when they first grabbed the rope, fun times, I think the name was Ohoho, wonder of PF was old enough to remember it.

Definitely have no memories of that ski area.  But back then when I was growing up, the "camps" or cottages the family had in Woodstock were not winterized and we always drained the water and locked them up for the season... so for most of my childhood I would spend June-August in Woodstock but then we wouldn't come back after a final weekend in October.  So I never was around in the winter back then.

30 minutes ago, NW_of_GYX said:

Maine still has a great local ski scene though, even outside of those better snow areas. Lost Valley, Abram, Black, Snow Bowl, Spruce, Big Squaw, Big Rock, Hermon, Jefferson, Lonesome Pines are all great hills where the blue collar spirit of the sport is alive and doing OK. To a lesser extent you could also include Pleasant and Saddleback to that list. Pleasant at night is still about as blue collar as it gets for the sport. Winterkids is an incredible local nonprofit helping kids and families from all over Maine access the sport and LLBean underwrites tix to Black and Abram where it costs $35 every day of the season. Vermont has better skiing but the culture here in Maine is closer to the sports past when it was for working people not just yuppies and retirees. 

Great post.  I'm very much a casual skier but I'd rather go to Pleasant (at night) and Mt. Abram than anywhere else.  Best bang for your buck for anyone living in PWM.  Throw Lost Valley on that list, too, but I am selective about when I go there because it can get too crowded.

38 minutes ago, NW_of_GYX said:

Coastal maine is meh for snow, even central maine is not orders of magnitude greater than say central Mass. you have to get off the CP into the foothills, highlands, mountains or north of Bangor for the difference in snowfall vs CNE/SNE to be pronounced. 

Back when I was at UVM, I took a course on non-profit recreation and we went to Maine for a week to travel around the state checking out some of those local community hills.  The focus was on the Maine Winter Sports Center, and it was an awesome scene checking out places from Black Mountain to Big Rock in Mars Hill.  Big Rock was an awesome little ski area that rips.... 1,000 verts of fall-line terrain, I remember loving that spot way up on the NE Canadian border.

It was easy to get behind their mission statement and see that there are so many organizations in Maine that are dedicated to using winter sports to promote a healthy lifestyle in the cold, dark winter months and economic stability.  A big part of the MWSC then was trying to confront the childhood obesity and issues that arise when rural kids are stuck inside for multiple winter months in a row, without the economic means to get winter sports equipment and access to recreate (and therefore better themselves, in physical and mental health).

The Maine Winter Sports Center (MWSC) is a 501(c)3 non-profit, economic development corporation, founded in April 1999 with a grant from the Libra Foundation in Portland, Maine. Our mission is to re-establish skiing as a life-style in Maine for lifestyle and economic opportunity for rural communities of the state. Our assets include world class cross country and biathlon venues in Fort Kent and Presque Isle, Big Rock Alpine area in Mars Hill and Quoggy Jo Alpine area in Presque Isle, Maine.