• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
August 2024 obs

GaWx

Strong thunderstorms have popped along the seabreeze front and are now over downtown as well as N into lower SC. I’ve heard a good bit of thunder but am not getting any rain at least as of yet.

Edit 9:14 PM: The heavy rain has slowly slipped S and now it is falling here.

I ended up with ~1”. I actually got a little bit of new flooding into my garage but I took care of that. I’ve been waiting for them to get out here to replace the garage door’s bottom seal. They’ve had a lot of calls due to Debby backing them up.

• Like 1

The capacitor in my Davis station has gone out (again) so I'm without obs till I get a new battery.

The outside obs I do have is the maple in the front yard is dropping leaves like it's early October.

:thumbsdown:

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA
0833 PM EDT THU AUG 29 2024

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT ATLANTA...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 98 DEGREES WAS SET AT ATLANTA TODAY.
THIS TIES THE OLD RECORD OF 98 DEGREES SET IN 1990.

• Thanks 1

it was 98 between 3 and 4 pm on August 29th here at my residence. This morning Aug 30 as I walked out to put food for the critters, it was a heat blast of humid 75 degree air.   I will be glad for cooler air to arrive and hopefully it brings some abundant rains.

16 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

This has gotta be one of the worst storms since I’ve lived here. Scary lightning, power out, big hail 

I was just looking at the radar and thinking about you.  Looks like a slow mover as well.  Send some rain over to Wilson please.

4 minutes ago, eyewall said:

No hail here. How big?

Dime sized. Maybe a few bigger. I’d grabbed a couple to tell if I hadn’t been too scared of getting struck. My street is without power, believe lighting hit the line in front of my house

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jburns said:

Just had a nice storm here. Good rain and lightning but the temperature is what got my attention.  It went form 92.6º to 67.8º in about 30 minutes.

After the above post things really got rocking.  Best lightning and thunder in several years.  Picked up 2.75” of rain in about an hour.  Put me over 9” for the month. 

• Like 1

Total here for August: 15.33”, with 10.9” from Debby 8/5-7 (which flooded parts of my garage). A thunderstorm on 8/20 caused some more water to flow into my garage but it wasn’t nearly as bad and I was on top of it. It has been at least several years since I had 15.33” in any month.

The 15.33” combined with 12.25” in July gives me a two month total of a whopping 27.58”, which is just over double the normal! My JJA was ~31”. That is just under the 32.23” I got in the also very wet JJA of 2022.

I got 20.9” just for the period 7/19-8/7! There’s been only traces since after the Aug 20th thunderstorm allowing the water table to drop back down some.

• Like 1

If you’d told me my MTD for August would be 11.30” but it didn’t rain a drop from August 9-30 I’d probably have to doubt that total was achievable but that is what we got! We had 3 rain events (though Debby was multi-day) that resulted in 11.30”. Talk about maximizing the events given to you! 

• Thanks 1