Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
August 2024 obs

GaWx

47 minutes ago, yotaman said:

My gauge stopped working after a piece of debris got stuck in the tipper. Had 1.04" before that happened and had a torrential downpour before I was able to clear it. Since then, I have picked up an additional .61". Checked a nearby station about 1 mile from me and they have had 3.29" today. Lots more rain to come.

I am curious.  Does your weather station have some sort of blockage warning or did you figure it out when it was raining but the gauge wasn't going up?

12 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

I am curious.  Does your weather station have some sort of blockage warning or did you figure it out when it was raining but the gauge wasn't going up?

No blockage warning. Just figured it out when it was pouring and my rain total was going nowhere.

Edit: I was checking the graph data and the blockage occurred shortly after 7am when a heavy storm came thru. Looks like I missed anywhere from 1/2 to 1 inch. Very hard to tell since it quit in the middle of the storm.

My first pop up since Debby is about to start. Last pop-up was 8 days ago (8/3). There was one very close CTG lightning strike.

The rain is very light now after being heavy for awhile. Thankfully, it didn’t last too long. It looks like I got at least 0.5”+, just what the doctor didn’t order. I’ll know more later about the amount.

Edit: Ended up 0.65”

• Like 1

Got hit by 2 thunderstorms this afternoon. First one dropped .37". The 2nd one dropped 1.73". Lots of flooded roads were reported in New Bern. This has put me well over 10.5" for the month and it's only the 11th. More rain forecasted for tomorrow.

Getting afternoon pop-up early today as it started just after 1PM. Moving in a somewhat unusual SW direction. Second PM pop up since Debby and first in 3 days. Already letting up after a short heavy period.

Edit: I ended up with only ~0.18”. MTD is 13.48”.

• Like 1

LR showing triple digit heat to end out August, more  103 F air temps for a few days for the Hub City area of SC. This has been the absolute worse summer as far as high humidity ever in my 60+ years of having the pleasure of existing upon this planet.  I had a lot planned to do this summer but all I wound up doing was paying utility bills, feeling miserable 24/7 because of the hostile sun making me feel as if just maybe a giant ant in the sky had targeted me with a big magnifying glass.  I will embrace the Autumn and winter months and savor everyday of hopefully what will be chilly and delightful days and nights and hope that the snow drought will be broken.  

1 hour ago, Occluded Front said:

LR showing triple digit heat to end out August, more  103 F air temps for a few days for the Hub City area of SC. This has been the absolute worse summer as far as high humidity ever in my 60+ years of having the pleasure of existing upon this planet.  I had a lot planned to do this summer but all I wound up doing was paying utility bills, feeling miserable 24/7 because of the hostile sun making me feel as if just maybe a giant ant in the sky had targeted me with a big magnifying glass.  I will embrace the Autumn and winter months and savor everyday of hopefully what will be chilly and delightful days and nights and hope that the snow drought will be broken.  

I savor autumn and especially winter for having much lower dewpoints than summer as much as for any other reason like being cooler. The winter could be the warmest on record and it would still be way more pleasant as well as way cooler than summer.

Regarding snow or any wintry precip, that (even just a trace) is a relative rarity this far SE/near coast. So, I never expect any and thus not having any doesn’t make a winter unenjoyable. If it did, most would be unenjoyable.

But fwiw, there hasn’t been even a T of wintry precip in this area since early Jan of 2018. So, it has been over 6.5 years. Even for way down here that is a record long period without even a T of wintry with records going back ~150 years. Old record is closer to 5 years.

• Like 1

This caught me by surprise as the lowest in my area the last 2 days was 70 and the lowest I saw anywhere at major non-mountain locations in SC and GA was 67:

I just noticed that Gainesville, FL, tied a record low of 66 yesterday (8/17) morning! Wow! @pcbjr

• Like 2