• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
August 2024 obs

GaWx

Thunderstorms already popping up all around this area. This is much earlier than most days of recent weeks. Been hearing thunder the last 10 minutes or so. Will it rain? So far it has been hit and miss pop ups and so that remains to be seen. The NWS has only 20% chances.

Also, the dewpoints/HI are very high with upper 70s/108! Temps are in the low 90s. All conducive to the pop-ups.

3 minutes ago, GaWx said:

Thunderstorms already popping up all around this area. This is much earlier than most days of recent weeks. Been hearing thunder the last 10 minutes or so. Will it rain? So far it has been hit and miss pop ups and so that remains to be seen.

Looks like you're fixing to get a lot of rain soon.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2024 at 12:46 PM, GaWx said:

Thunderstorms already popping up all around this area. This is much earlier than most days of recent weeks. Been hearing thunder the last 10 minutes or so. Will it rain? So far it has been hit and miss pop ups and so that remains to be seen. The NWS has only 20% chances.

Also, the dewpoints/HI are very high with upper 70s/108! Temps are in the low 90s. All conducive to the pop-ups.

It took awhile but it’s just started raining here with CTG lightning pretty closeby. But it didn’t last long. Thus I ended up with only 0.25”.

• Like 1

Sudden pop-up resulting from an outflow boundary giving me heavy rain. Not at all what I need in advance of Debby.

I ended up with ~0.5”, bringing me to ~0.75” MTD.

• Like 1

The last three days have had eerily similar precipitation patterns in NC.  Seabreeze initiated stuff gets going and moves up I-95 in the mid-afternoon, followed by a line of storms swinging in from the west.  Frustratingly, for me the early stuff has found ways to juke and jive around me all three days and the eastward moving line dies right as it gets too me.  I wonder if the northward propagating early stuff creates a stable corridor that inhibits the eastward line.     

What a mess here from TS Debby! There had been a tornado warning that expired an hour ago. Much of the yard and entire patio is covered with standing water. Street flooded. Now this and there’s a very long ways to go before the on and off heavy rain ends. And the strong winds haven’t even got here yet though they’re now picking up. Also Tornado watch extended til 1AM:

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHARLESTON HAS ISSUED A  

* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR...  
BRYAN COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN GEORGIA...  
BULLOCH COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN GEORGIA...  
CHATHAM COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN GEORGIA...  
EFFINGHAM COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN GEORGIA...  
EVANS COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN GEORGIA...  
LIBERTY COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN GEORGIA... 
LONG COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN GEORGIA...  
MCINTOSH COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN GEORGIA...  
TATTNALL COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN GEORGIA...  
JASPER COUNTY IN SOUTHEASTERN SOUTH CAROLINA...  

* UNTIL 1130 PM EDT.  

* AT 532 PM EDT, DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED BANDS OF TORRENTIAL RAIN  
ASSOCIATED WITH TROPICAL STORM DEBBY WILL EXPAND ACROSS MUCH OF  
SOUTHEAST GEORGIA THROUGH THE EVENING HOURS. BETWEEN 2.5 AND 5  
INCHES OF RAIN HAVE FALLEN SO FAR THIS AFTERNOON. ADDITIONAL  
RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 4 TO 6 INCHES, WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS,  
ARE POSSIBLE IN THE WARNED AREA. FLASH FLOODING IS EXPECTED TO  
DEVELOP THIS EVENING AND COULD CONTINUE INTO THE OVERNIGHT HOURS.  

HAZARD...LIFE THREATENING FLASH FLOODING. HEAVY RAIN PRODUCING  
FLASH FLOODING.  

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED.  

IMPACT...LIFE THREATENING FLASH FLOODING OF CREEKS AND STREAMS,  
URBAN AREAS, HIGHWAYS, STREETS AND UNDERPASSES.  

* SOME LOCATIONS THAT WILL EXPERIENCE FLASH FLOODING INCLUDE...  
HINESVILLE, SAVANNAH, POOLER, BLUFFTON, RICHMOND HILL, REIDSVILLE,  
GLENNVILLE, TYBEE ISLAND, CLAXTON, PEMBROKE AND DARIEN.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

These tropical downpours are a different species of rain. Picked up 0.20” in minutes from a run of the mill looking shower (on radar) 

EDIT: It’s a whiteout downpour. Working on 1” of rain in our first 30 minutes with Debby

• Like 1

I estimate that I’m at 8.5” so far from Debby (over last ~30 hours) with only ~1/2” since 2AM allowing good progress on drainage. If we were to not get too much more from this point forward (where I’m leaning now), I’d be near the low end of the range of predictions, which had a pretty good amount for today and tomorrow. As of last night I had guessed at least another 4” between then and Thursday. Still an 8.5” rain is enough to qualify as a very big rain event due to its rarity and likely is the largest since Matthew of early Oct of 2016. Also, some nearby areas (Effingham and Jasper counties) got 10-11” per CoCoRaHS.

The storm is currently centered just E of here along the coast about to be offshore. Winds and rain are very light near the storm center.

• Like 4

I’ve gotten an additional 1.8” since ~6PM yesterday for an updated total so far of ~10.3”, easily the largest amount from a single event since Matthew of early Oct of 2016.

There’s still on and off light rain falling and it’s breezy here on the backside.

Here’s a SE Debby thread for those who haven’t seen it:

• Like 1

As of yesterday morning’s update I had received 10.3” from Debby. I’ve since had an additional 0.6” to give me a Debby grand total (over 3 days) of 10.9”, easily the largest amount from a single event here since Matthew of Oct 7-8, 2016.

Together with the 10” I got 7/19-8/3 from PM convection, I’ve received 20.9” during just the 20 day period of 7/19-8/7. Thus, any possible heavy rains from tropical or other during the next few weeks could be extra problematic.

• Like 1

My gauge stopped working after a piece of debris got stuck in the tipper. Had 1.04" before that happened and had a torrential downpour before I was able to clear it. Since then, I have picked up an additional .61". Checked a nearby station about 1 mile from me and they have had 3.29" today. Lots more rain to come.

• Like 1