• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Hurricane Debby

2 hours ago, StantonParkHoya said:

Unless the GFS were to verify. Only gives ~3 inches at RDU.

Im also dubious this is still a TS

I’ve had more than half that in the first 40 minutes of the storm. I’d toss those island GFS runs, it’s already coming back into alignment with other models at 12z. Picked up 1.55” in 40 minutes from the first band. We’ll see what the meat of this thing brings here 

16 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

I’ve had more than half that in the first 40 minutes of the storm. I’d toss those island GFS runs, it’s already coming back into alignment with other models at 12z. Picked up 1.55” in 40 minutes from the first band. We’ll see what the meat of this thing brings here 

I’ll toss QPF but it’s had about 15 runs now with a second landfall near SAV/Hilton Head. Can’t discount our 2nd best model.

15 minutes ago, StantonParkHoya said:

I’ll toss QPF but it’s had about 15 runs now with a second landfall near SAV/Hilton Head. Can’t discount our 2nd best model.

It's been a bit of a trend in that direction, but hard to buy into the GFS when it's such an outlier from all other models. 

trend (1).png

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, StantonParkHoya said:

Yep, 14 runs to be exact through the 12Z. But the 12Z is slightly further N and the 6Z and even moreso the 12Z GEFS mean is further N than the operational. Also, fwiw being that it’s an inferior model, the 12Z JMA 72 adjusted back N with it in VA vs yesterday’s 12Z JMA 96 in E C GA. 
 So, as of now the GFS will likely end up wrong, which history all along strongly suggested.

12Z UKMET: landfall Georgetown ~8AM Thu 8/8 and then heads N into VA (~50 miles E of 0Z) followed by NE turn to NE US though not as strong there as 0Z had

12Z Euro: landfall just S of Georgetown ~3AM Thu followed by NNW move into WC NC and then NE move into interior NE US, a little W of UKMET

• Like 2

Morning WPC 5 day QPF doesn't suggest much orographic enhancement, but the E halves of the Carolinas are >10 inches with some >15 inch areas.

I assume that is a computer created consensus of models, with forecasters adjusting which models have more and less, or no weight.  Consensus seems the way to go.

p120i.gif?1722965544

I said yesterday I was going to be looking at structure, convection, and organization as it moved toward the shoreline.

After starting the day nearly fully hollowed out by dry air and the effects of the slow trek over land. The last few hours have seen some modest organization as the center moves over Savannah and offshore. 

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91wgl8jctytgo48pvvut

You can see how banding is trying to organize around the western side, though dry air is still present—now in the southern/southeastern side. Perhaps importantly later on, the center itself is well defined with shallow convection generally wrapped around.

19616700.gif?0.44980916844498975

To be clear, there is a lot of work to do before this can really reintensify at a meaningful pace, but this is what I’m watching as the center crawls offshore. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, StantonParkHoya said:

12z Euro speeds this up a good bit. By Friday morning it has it over Roanoke, VA

That's good but wish it would start speeding up Thursday instead.  Most of the rain will be dumped by Friday morning.

The previous 00Z run was awfully slow.  This is more similar to yesterday's 12Z run (a tad faster)

25 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

That's good but wish it would start speeding up Thursday instead.  Most of the rain will be dumped by Friday morning.

The previous 00Z run was awfully slow.  This is more similar to yesterday's 12Z run (a tad faster)

Only has ~4 inches for RDU

I estimate that I’m at 8.5” so far from Debby (over last ~30 hours) with only ~1/2” since 2AM allowing good progress on drainage. If we were to not get too much more from this point forward (where I’m leaning now), I’d be near the low end of the range of predictions, which had a pretty good amount for today and tomorrow. As of last night I had guessed at least another 4” between then and Thursday. Still an 8.5” rain is enough to qualify as a very big rain event due to its rarity and likely is the largest since Matthew of early Oct of 2016. Also, some nearby areas (Effingham and Jasper counties) got 10-11” per CoCoRaHS.

The storm is currently centered just E of here along the coast about to be offshore. Winds and rain are very light near the storm center.

• Like 4

I am looking at the radar basically just light rain showers rotating around the center the heavy rain threat is far away from the center looks to me that Charleston and Savannah should be fine honestly.  I looked at the web cam in Hilton Head there are people on the beach and the sun is even out.  Charleston and Savannah are dry too with dry gounds.

I will be checking into Charleston, SC on August 11th should be fine. 

• Weenie 2

1 minute ago, StantonParkHoya said:

Honestly, the media is insufferable during these types of deals. If you were to be unaware and tuned in, you’d think Katrina was about to descend. The flags aren’t even moving.

Crazy idea… don’t watch. Youve posted non stop about how little rain you’ll get in RDU. talk about insufferable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, StantonParkHoya said:

Honestly, the media is insufferable during these types of deals. If you were to be unaware and tuned in, you’d think Katrina was about to descend. The flags aren’t even moving.

"The flags aren't even moving", it's almost like the main hazard that has been advertised this entire storm is rain and flooding lol

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

I like how detailed NWS Charleston is getting in their warnings. Very specific details for certain rivers and such

* At 425 PM EDT, Doppler radar indicated light to moderate rain 
  extending across much of the Charleston, Berkeley, Dorchester and 
  Beaufort Counties. As much as 6 to 13 inches of rain has fallen so 
  far and additional 1 to 2 inches could fall through this evening. 
  Flash flooding is occurring in parts of West Ashley, Downtown 
  Charleston and the Oakbrook area in southern Dorchester County.

HAZARD...Life threatening flash flooding. Heavy rain producing
           flash flooding.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Life threatening flash flooding of creeks and streams,
           urban areas, highways, streets and underpasses.

* Some locations that will experience flash flooding include...
  North Charleston, Mount Pleasant, Summerville, Goose Creek, 
  Hanahan, Walterboro, Saint George, Edisto Beach, Givhans Ferry 
  State Park and Ladson.

Water levels on Saw Mill Branch continue to rise. Dorchester County 
Emergency Management is strongly encouraging residents in low-lying 
or flood-prone areas to evacuate to a shelter.

Water levels along Ireland Creek at Walterboro stopped rising, 
however water could still approach or flood some businesses along 
Ivanhoe  Road. Heed any evacuation advice from local officials.

Flash flooding is likely ongoing along Church Creek in West Ashley.

2 hours ago, StantonParkHoya said:

We had relatives calling us from around the country asking if we were going to stay for the storm.

As the Debby center moved to the SE offshore finally putting us on the backside, winds picked up and steady mainly moderate rains resumed about 1.5 hours ago after little rain since late last night. I had been at ~8.5” for the storm before this. We’ll see how much gets added from this and more to come tonight.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, senc30 said:

Here is Jacksonville, I have no clue what to expect tomorrow. I've seen some crazy numbers being thrown around. 

WRAL was asking shop keepers in Wrightsville why they hadn’t boarded up windows and if they were going to evacuate.

I think it’s partly hype = $, and partly these kid reporters are from like Iowa and have no clue.

• Like 4