• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Hurricane Debby

2 minutes ago, Seminole said:

That is not how RI is supposed to happen. Dry air and running into shallower waters is my guess as to why.

It's not dry air, it's the broad circulation. No models had it being much more than a Cat 1.

Not every hurricane is going to blow past intensity forecasts. 

• Like 1

She's still tilted slightly N/NE looking at the radar velocity tilts. Given a westerly shear vector though, that should not take long to fix. Low level center should finish doing a little counterclockwise loop in the next few hours, align and spin up, barring some big dry air ingestion.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Honestly I don’t think there’s been anything terribly surprising today. Despite the fits and starts or organization, we’ve seen lower end rapid intensification the last 36 hours. It’s organizing at a faster pace the closer it gets to the coast, as expected, and it should be a solid category one perhaps “low end” two at landfall. The most interesting thing has been the level of wobbling as this tried to tighten an inner core. That could have downstream impacts if this turns east sooner and reaches the Atlantic faster but we’ll see if that actually happens. 

Thought we’d see more consensus between the GFS/Euro but no dice. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Honestly I don’t think there’s been anything terribly surprising today. Despite the fits and starts or organization, we’ve seen lower end rapid intensification the last 36 hours. It’s organizing at a faster pace the closer it gets to the coast, as expected, and it should be a solid category one perhaps “low end” two at landfall. The most interesting thing has been the level of wobbling as this tried to tighten an inner core. That could have downstream impacts if this turns east sooner and reaches the Atlantic faster but we’ll see if that actually happens. 

Thought we’d see more consensus between the GFS/Euro but no dice. 

i was looking at radar unless its just a trick of the eye it looks like its moving north east.. but again i cant say that for sure..

5 minutes ago, wthrmn654 said:

i was looking at radar unless its just a trick of the eye it looks like its moving north east.. but again i cant say that for sure..

If I were chasing this one I’d probably be in Steinhatchee, and more than a little nervous that it’ll come in further south due to this more eastward movement. That said, these can wobble a lot. Add in the tilting like @csnavywx noted and the tightening of the core, the recon fixes are even more important. The radar the last 90 minutes has been interesting.

Seeing lightning now in the eastern eyewall as it tries again to tighten and close off. 

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91dyzq93fkyv88tz0lhx

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

If I were chasing this one I’d probably be in Steinhatchee, and more than a little nervous that it’ll come in further south due to this more eastward movement. That said, these can wobble a lot. Add in the tilting like @csnavywx noted and the tightening of the core, the recon fixes are even more important. The radar the last 90 minutes has been interesting.

Seeing lightning now in the eastern eyewall as it tries again to tighten and close off. 

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91dyzq93fkyv88tz0lhx

still so odd to see it with such a due east look at the moment. 

55 minutes ago, Floydbuster said:

This is a run of the mill August Cat 1 Florida hurricane. As American as apple pie. However, that slowdown could be a really historic flood risk. Awful for areas to be impacted. 

Look out SE South Carolina region, likely 20-25 inch totals.