• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
Hurricane Debby

2 hours ago, eyewall said:

I am so far not impressed with what I am seeing in terms of rain bands out there. I am guessing they will reduce rain totals as the day goes on.

I believe that the weather service was counting on a huge fetch off of the Atlantic to account for the heavy rain training. We received a quick quarter inch yesterday and a trace this morning. Sun just came out in Kville. Told Mrs this morning my guess would be two inches tops for the triad unless something off of the ocean materializes. Weather service is still holding to their guns of 4-6 for the triad so guess we'll see. Raleigh's briefing image displays Debby with the center appearing to be filled in. That's not what the radar is currently showing. As I said, we'll see.

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, KChuck said:

I believe that the weather service was counting on a huge fetch off of the Atlantic to account for the heavy rain training. We received a quick quarter inch yesterday and a trace this morning. Sun just came out in Kville. Told Mrs this morning my guess would be two inches tops for the triad unless something off of the ocean materializes. Weather service is still holding to their guns of 4-6 for the triad so guess we'll see. Raleigh's briefing image displays Debby with the center appearing to be filled in. That's not what the radar is currently showing. As I said, we'll see.

Models have been consistently showing periods of heavy rain for much of well inland NC starting late tonight S areas going through tomorrow more areas and lingering into tomorrow night N areas.

Meanwhile, I’ve been getting some moderate rain from showers rotating on the backside, well away from the center, with more to come this afternoon. So, will add some more to the 10.3” total that I had already received at last check.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

Convection is blowing up over land.  If that somehow stays there more than a few hours, that will be a problem.  WPC analyzed cold front may be too far inland, but I'd guess prefrontal trough.  I can't really see it in the SPC RAP analysis.

giphy.gif

Down in Richmond Hill (SW of Savannah), a friend of mine said she had the heaviest rain of the entire storm with that orange band that came across just in the last hour!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WEATHER53 said:

Was this the event that did a 1,000 year carve out of river beds?

Same bday as myself I see..

Happy early birthday Friday ! 

Always was fascinated with Camille growing up nearby,  always looked for info and writings on the event... A few interesting facts from that night ...

Rainfall is believed to have been 35 inches or more in spots in about 5 hours..

Davis Creek , a normal little creek was measured by geologists as potentially reaching 51 feet in one spot coming down a hollow..

Some people are still missing and some were found but never identified..

The weather bureau at the time said it was likely the maximum amount of rain that could fall in that amount of time in this part of the world..

The mighty James River coming up from Lynchburg actually stopped or backed up for awhile ... As the volume and power of water coming out of Nelson's smaller rivers was overwhelming the slower moving James for awhile that morning...

Wilmington, NC, and areas just inland have been getting slammed nonstop through the evening. I'd expect flash flood emergencies are underway. 2"/hr rates are ongoing, and the band pivot is taking forever. It's not a good situation developing.0fb1606d1be710014bb9ceaabcd700c3.gif

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

Wilmington, NC, and areas just inland have been getting slammed nonstop through the evenjng. I'd expect flash flood emergencies are underway. 2"/hr rates are ongoing, and the band pivot is taking forever. It's not a good situation developing.0fb1606d1be710014bb9ceaabcd700c3.gif

That’s the kind of band that can drop 20” with enough time. 

They’ve only had a little over 3 inches https://forecast.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KILM.html
Last hour radar indicated 2-3" and pushing 5-6" last three. I'm not sure how slow to update that site data is currently you posted. It's either incorrect, delayed, or radar is a temporary simulation experiment. I'll take one of the first two options.
  • Like 5

Wilmington is getting firehosed by training efficient tropical rains. Circulation is spinning over the coast and plentiful Atlantic moisture will slam into that entire region probably into the night.

That trough is no damn good and Debby won't get picked up. This is NOT a very good situation. 

Deb will spin like a top and there's no shortage of moisture from that ocean.

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, Jebman said:

Wilmington is getting firehosed by training efficient tropical rains. Circulation is spinning over the coast and plentiful Atlantic moisture will slam into that entire region probably into the night.

That trough is no damn good and Debby won't get picked up. This is NOT a very good situation. 

Deb will spin like a top and there's no shortage of moisture from that ocean.

Debby is going to have lunch in Pennsylvania Friday, I think the trough will pick her up

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, StantonParkHoya said:

They’ve only had a little over 3 inches https://forecast.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KILM.html

21 minutes ago, Windspeed said:
30 minutes ago, StantonParkHoya said:

Last hour radar indicated 2-3" and pushing 5-6" last three. I'm not sure how slow to update that site data is currently you posted. It's either incorrect, delayed, or radar is a temporary simulation experiment. I'll take one of the first two options.

I'm using RadarScope but I see three hour estimates in that range and totals between 7-10” overall just west of the city.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm using RadarScope but I see three hour estimates in that range and totals between 7-10” overall just west of the city.
This feed that is evolving is most concerning. Multiple mesoscales keep that feed ongoing through tonight and much of the day tomorrow, even after Debby is tracking back to the NW and towards the interior SC-NC border. It does not appear that NC is going to escape high hourly rates and localized destructive totals.
f1cae559956e5547d7cc96531c93cbab.gif
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, NotSureWeather said:

That circulation southeast of Debby a concern at all? It’s grown a decent amount the past few hours and almost seems like it’s tugging at Debby. Not saying Fujiwara but it kinda looks like it.

Long loop radar doesn’t show a secondary circulation. 

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91rv1g063c6mkqs5io44

There’s deep convection SE of the center, but this shouldn’t influence the overall track of Debby. Matters for rainfall though. 

97340384.gif?0.7994635735907553

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Long loop radar doesn’t show a secondary circulation. 

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91rv1g063c6mkqs5io44

There’s deep convection SE of the center, but this shouldn’t influence the overall track of Debby. Matters for rainfall though. 

97340384.gif?0.7994635735907553

No I mean the circulation out in the Atlantic that’s looking better by the minute

• Thanks 1

No I mean the circulation out in the Atlantic that’s looking better by the minute
That is a mid-to-upper level low you are seeing. It is not a tropical surface low. Though it is aiding in ventilating outflow off of Debby, it's not directly influencing the steering layer where Debby is positioned. Low and mid-level flow will bring Debby inland and on up the ECONUS interior the next few days.
ac3d8c950666d36214a109a29be3cc9e.gif
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

That is a mid-to-upper level low you are seeing. It is not a tropical surface low. Though it is aiding in ventilating outflow off of Debby, it's not directly influencing the steering layer where Debby is positioned. Low and mid-level flow will bring Debby inland and on up the ECONUS interior the next few days.
ac3d8c950666d36214a109a29be3cc9e.gif

I wasn’t even thinking of looking out there :lol: 

• Haha 1

I’ve been concerned about the Fayetteville/Ft Liberty area, especially for very heavy rain, as I have family there. Check out these 11PM conditions

FORT LIBERTY HVY RAIN 77 75 94 NE16G22 29.64F VSB 1  

FAYETTEVILLE RAIN 77 74 90 NE31G52 29.61F FOG  

Gusts to 52 at Fayetteville? Wow! Look out power outages!

• Like 3

That's a nice slug of efficient tropical rain! It just keeps getting larger and hammering the same communities with steady efficient heavy tropical rain! Deb is just laggin along at only 3 mph. Rain tallies will pile up!

Tropical Storm Debby Intermediate Advisory Number 23A
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL042024
200 AM EDT Thu Aug 08 2024

...DEBBY MAKES LANDFALL NEAR BULLS BAY SOUTH CAROLINA...
...MAJOR FLOOD THREAT CONTINUES FOR PORTIONS OF THE CAROLINAS AND 
WESTERN VIRGINIA...

SUMMARY OF 200 AM EDT...0600 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...33.0N 79.6W
ABOUT 20 MI...35 KM NE OF CHARLESTON SOUTH CAROLINA
ABOUT 65 MI...100 KM SW OF MYRTLE BEACH SOUTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...50 MPH...85 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 325 DEGREES AT 5 MPH...7 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...995 MB...29.38 INCHES
  • Like 1

BULLETIN
Tropical Storm Debby Intermediate Advisory Number 23A
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL042024
200 AM EDT Thu Aug 08 2024

...MAJOR FLOOD THREAT CONTINUES FOR PORTIONS OF THE CAROLINAS AND 
WESTERN VIRGINIA...

SUMMARY OF 200 AM EDT...0600 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...33.0N 79.6W
ABOUT 20 MI...35 KM NE OF CHARLESTON SOUTH CAROLINA
ABOUT 65 MI...100 KM SW OF MYRTLE BEACH SOUTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...50 MPH...85 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 325 DEGREES AT 5 MPH...7 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...995 MB...29.38 INCHES

FXUS62 KRAH 080549
AFDRAH

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Raleigh NC
150 AM EDT Thu Aug 8 2024

.SYNOPSIS...
A cold front across the mid-Atlantic will linger through Thursday.
The center of Tropical Storm Debby will move northwest and onto the
South Carolina coast this evening and then drift northward across
the central Carolinas on Thursday and Friday.

&&

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...
As of 923 PM Wednesday...

* More widespread rain which will be heavy at times will spread into
  central NC tonight beginning a 12 to 18 hour period of the
  heaviest rain and greatest flash flood risk.

Negligible changes with the evening update.

The center of Debby is currently located just offshore near
Charleston, SC.  Water vapor imagery continues to depict moistening
around the center of the circulation. As such, a persistent band of
heavier rainfall (mostly 1.5 to 2.5 in/hr rates) has developed just
to the southeast of Sampson county.  CAMs continue to depict this
heavier band expanding north-northwest over the Sandhills/southern
Coastal Plain the next several hours, followed by up into the
Triangle by daybreak. Consequently, these areas have the best chance
to experience flash flooding overnight as strong 925 to 850 mb
moisture transport provides a continuous feed of >2.5 inches of
PWAT.

The other concern as we continue into the overnight period is the
chance for quick spin-up tornadoes.  Thus far this evening, rotating
cells have largely remained to our south (although a few have
recently developed near southern Sampson county). Low-level SRH of
~150 m2/s2 remains anchored over the southern Coastal Plain. This
moderately-strong low-level kinematic field will expand further
northwest overnight. However, weak lapse rates and overall
instability will promote only occasional weak circulations through
Thursday morning.

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=RAH&issuedby=RAH&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

• Thanks 1