BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
August Banter 2024

JenkinsJinkies

1 hour ago, Chris78 said:

Not sure they can fix their Bull pen.

Watching the Yankees tonight Their bull pen looks lock down compared to the Os

Getting Coulombe and Webb back will help...beyond that you're right. We're gonna need somebody else to step up somehow...at least it looks like we have our new closer.

17 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Where would the O's be without Albert Suarez? He has come up huge multiple times. We've gotten a lot of mileage out of a guy that I don't think much was expected. 

Big Al has been scary at times, but hard to argue with the body of work this year. Easily most valuable oriole by dollar cost.

• Like 2

Kids are back to school today, and while it's nice to have a lack of chaos while working at home, there wasn't any adjustment to a different routine because only 9 1/2 weeks of summer break didn't *really* set a new routine. It honestly feels almost like they never even finished last school year.

It was an incredibly busy summer, so maybe that's part of it - just lots happening and no set routine other than 6 weeks of swim!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, mattie g said:

Kids are back to school today, and while it's nice to have a lack of chaos while working at home, there wasn't any adjustment to a different routine because only 9 1/2 weeks of summer break didn't *really* set a new routine. It honestly feels almost like they never even finished last school year.

It was an incredibly busy summer, so maybe that's part of it - just lots happening and no set routine other than 6 weeks of swim!

Kinda forgot it was the first day of school...our kids are long gone from FCPS. But it was still kind of a weird day for us, as my wife -- who retired from FCPS in summer 2023 -- was invited by a few folks at her former school to apply for an afternoon PT job for one more year, which she did, and she got the job. She's actually happy to be back doing "a little something" again. I guess golf lessons and pickleball just wasn't satisfying enough...not to mention being home with ME while I telework.  :D

Personally, I can't imagine feeling that way after MY first year of retirement (commencing in March 2026!)...but we'll see.   ;) 

• Like 3

Re: the Os…..they really need to find a way to hold it together through the Dodgers series. These next few are tough and then the schedule eases a bit. 6 of 7 series after playing in LA vs teams not in the playoff race.

18 hours ago, CAPE said:

Os can't catch a break lol. Another one down. Hopefully they can keep playing .500 and get in, while getting Grayson back and maybe Elfin for the end of the reg season and playoffs.

Their starters on the IL would be a damn good rotation.  Probably top 10 in the league 

18 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

This season seems cursed. Just can’t get momentum.

Ehh I wouldn't say that...remember, despite all of this, we are doing the first place dance with the Yankees, and nobody else in the AL is running away with it...thus buying us time to get healthy. I'd say that is a more of a blessing than the opposite--we could be in a much worse position right now!

21 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Anybody else feel the Os offense is overrated?

If there not hitting Homers they don't score much

It’s just been very mediocre since early June like the rest of the team. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, adelphi_sky said:

Okay. THis weather officially sucks. What happened to the dog days of August? Feel bad for those at the beach on the last week of summer break. :shiver:

lol. I’ve had the AC off 3 straight days in August. This is glorious. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, snowfan said:

lol. I’ve had the AC off 3 straight days in August. This is glorious. 

Funny thing. I just bought sound dampers for my air duct leading to my home office. When the A/C blows it's loud because of the force of air through the closed vent. Was waiting for the A/C to come on but it was too cold outside. So, I had to turn it to 68 degrees. lol. It was 72 outside. The day I need to test my duct, it's cold. :) 

9 hours ago, Chris78 said:

Yankees could really take charge of the division this weekend it appears

They seem to think that hitting Hrs is the key  to winning.  Way too many strikeouts.   They really need to start doing the little things like moving runners up and just getting the bat on the ball.  When you are down in a 1-2 count and try for the HR against a decent pitcher, you just need to try and put the ball in play. O'Hearn is usually decent at this, but seems like he is also in a funk. I know that Hyde has done a great job with all the injuries, but this has to be something he changes. 

10 hours ago, Chris78 said:

Yankees could really take charge of the division this weekend it appears

10 hours ago, snowfan said:

Os are making me sad. After tonight, they’ll be 16-17 in the 2nd half and haven’t won 3 straight in nearly two months. 

Things could spiral quickly these next 6 games. Playoff race has tightened and they could be on the bubble in short notice. Schedule is softer after the LA series, but the team really has to turn things around in all 3 phases. 

• Like 6

On 8/23/2024 at 6:54 AM, WxUSAF said:

Things could spiral quickly these next 6 games. Playoff race has tightened and they could be on the bubble in short notice. Schedule is softer after the LA series, but the team really has to turn things around in all 3 phases. 

Went to the game last night and happy to say I stayed for the whole thing.  So far the O's are 4-0 for the games i've been to.   Going again today and hope the luck keeps up. 

• Like 2