• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
August Discobs 2024

JenkinsJinkies

we were under a warning for winds to 70 mph, but just got a little wind, heavy rain and some thunder and lightning. we ended up with about half an inch. we could use more but we're not getting it.

there were a few reports of trees and wires down in Martinsburg so the warning may have verified there.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Glad you are getting crushed finally.

Just the opposite here this month, after a wet July. NBD tho as it is late summer/early Fall now and the 'burning' period is over. I am reseeding so its actually better to do controlled watering vs getting a deluge that washes the grass seed away before it gets established.

So weird.  We couldn't buy a drop of rain all summer (and last summer too).  It all changed with Debbie. 

Hopefully, some gulf lows are on tap for Fall to get the entire region a soaking.

• Weenie 1

4 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

Not hard to see why the HRRR kills off any storms as they cross the Blue Ridge this evening.

clouds.png.a359003c8c9a67eef861e38cbdb1e5da.png

I drove from Cville to Harper's Ferry this afternoon via 81. It was pretty wild going over the BR on 64. Socked in and foggy on one side, blue skies on the other

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

I hope so.

No idea, at work again today -getting ready to drive back from Richmond .. The Mrs ain't home either... 

The radar sure looks awful nice !! But I've been mislead by that dam thing quite often this summer with thunderstorm activity ..

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TSG said:

I drove from Cville to Harper's Ferry this afternoon via 81. It was pretty wild going over the BR on 64. Socked in and foggy on one side, blue skies on the other

I'll never forget a winter storm in the late 90s.. As a 20 yr old in nw Albemarle I got annoyed that it was going to be all rain east of the Blue Ridge- with snow in the valley... So I drove up to the top of Afton on 250 in the middle of that night... In front of my car looking toward Waynesboro - 8 inches of snow & giant flakes falling, behind my car was bare ground and heavy rain... Within 50 feet that big of a difference- that was a strange feeling.... 

• Like 4

My numbers for the month of August 2024

Averaged high was 83.4 degrees vs a normal of 82.7 degrees, a +0.7 degrees above average. The warmest day was the 29th with a 92.0 degree reading. Averaged low for the month was 59.0 degrees vs a normal of 60.4 degrees, a -1.4 degrees below average. The coldest temp recorded was 44.1 degrees on the 22nd. Overall averaged temp was 71.2 degrees vs a normal of 71.6 degrees, a -0.4 degrees below average. Rainfall for the month was 5.26 inches vs a normal of 3.32 inches, a +1.94 inches above average. The wettest day was the 9th with 3.77 inches falling. There were 8 days with measurable, 4 days with a 'T' and 19 dry days.  Highest wind recorded was 32 mph on the 9th. Several new records, a new record 'cool max' on the 21st and 22nd, new record lows on the 21st, 22nd and 23rd, a new record high temp on the 29th and a new daily rainfall record on the 9th. Overall a warm start and finish, with a very cool middle. Quite dry for the month, 90% of the rain fell on 3 days with many dry days between. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1