Monty
August Discobs 2024

JenkinsJinkies

1 hour ago, yoda said:

Wonder if this is near him

Preliminary Local Storm Report
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
317 PM EDT Thu Aug 01 2024

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0257 PM     Tstm Wnd Dmg     1 NW Stephens City      39.11N  78.23W
08/01/2024                   Frederick          VA   Trained Spotter

A couple trees and large branches down on Hampstead
            Drive and Dandridge Boulevard.

&&

Event Number LWX2403631

It's literally 200 yards NW in my neighborhood.  But I didn't get anything like that at my house.  Literally a few gusts and 1 minute of rain.  That cell moved just to my north.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, dailylurker said:

Looks like some storm blowing up west of DC in this hot air. Hopefully that sets off some fun this evening in the DC area. 

I know, right? And then "POOF!" so quickly on radar! Man, thought for sure those storms would nick us again today, but nope. I can't bitch, we got a good rain the past couple of days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

It's literally 200 yards NW in my neighborhood.  But I didn't get anything like that at my house.  Literally a few gusts and 1 minute of rain.  That cell moved just to my north.

Dadgummit I told you not to mess that up! ;)

I hope tomorrow and Saturday we all cash in on some nice storms.  I'd really love to see a nighttime storm with lots of lightning.  Been a minute

• Like 2

4 hours ago, yoda said:

Wonder if this is near him

Preliminary Local Storm Report
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
317 PM EDT Thu Aug 01 2024

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0257 PM     Tstm Wnd Dmg     1 NW Stephens City      39.11N  78.23W
08/01/2024                   Frederick          VA   Trained Spotter

A couple trees and large branches down on Hampstead
            Drive and Dandridge Boulevard.

&&

Event Number LWX2403631

I was curious about that report because 1: no one lives in that area of the subdivision yet and 2: we have no trees except young plantings.  So, I went walking to that area.  There is nothing damaged, not even the young trees.  This report was from a trained spotter?  Really weird.  Maybe someone entered wrong coordinates?

Screenshot_20240801_202133_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240801_202129_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

Maybe that line in the Ohio will hold together and give us a small derecho in the morning?

4 days of rain in the forecast, and not even many clouds in verification.. The global precipitable water was record highest in the Winter and early Spring, so this dry streak really came out of nowhere.. we aren't even breaking the cap unless there is a strong frontal boundary.. 

9 hours ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

Maybe that line in the Ohio will hold together and give us a small derecho in the morning?

4 days of rain in the forecast, and not even many clouds in verification.. The global precipitable water was record highest in the Winter and early Spring, so this dry streak really came out of nowhere.. we aren't even breaking the cap unless there is a strong frontal boundary.. 

Chuck, you're very lucky if your dry streak "came out of nowhere".  I have been very dry since May.

Tomorrow looks better than today in terms of widespread storms. I haven’t looked closely, but guidance depiction seems disappointing given tons of heat and humidity and a shortwave and surface low to our northwest. Seems like it should be a slam dunk combination.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Tomorrow looks better than today in terms of widespread storms. I haven’t looked closely, but guidance depiction seems disappointing given tons of heat and humidity and a shortwave and surface low to our northwest. Seems like it should be a slam dunk combination.

Yea the setup for today should yeiled at least /something/ for everyone. If it doesn't then I don't know what to say. 

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

We couldn't even get it done with a cold front plowing into a 100-105 degree airmass a couple weeks ago.  I'm hoping that tropical system coming into the eastern Gulf takes a further west track up the coast than predicted

Starting out at 78/72.  Today is gonna blaze! 

Definitely a better shot at convection further north today, although a sneaky vort max on the southeastern periphery of the ridge could surprise south of I-70 somewhere. Not a great chance, but non-zero. 

Tomorrow is the best shot at widespread convection. We really could use a convective blob across the region. Fingers crossed 

I’m ready for fall 

• Like 5

Also did an assessment of my rainfall this year around mi casa. Looks like 27.40” so far this year according to a station very close to me. Jives with the surrounding totals. I’m kind of shocked Northern FDK has had that much. Unfortunately, the totals to my south are not nearly as good :(  Sorry to all my southern FDK/Ballanger Creek peeps 

39 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Also did an assessment of my rainfall this year around mi casa. Looks like 27.40” so far this year according to a station very close to me. Jives with the surrounding totals. I’m kind of shocked Northern FDK has had that much. Unfortunately, the totals to my south are not nearly as good :(  Sorry to all my southern FDK/Ballanger Creek peeps 

I’m a little over 3 inches behind you. 24.6” on the year, but more than half of it was from Jan-Mar. 

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

CAMs are infuriating for today. 

Not sure what it takes to get organized convection in these parts. I’m gonna puke seeing another day of random airmass pop ups. :blahblah:

90/81.  81!   It's almost painfully hot outside in the sun.  Imagine the late Cretaceous where it was like this all the time everywhere.  What a time to be alive.  

I wonder what would happen if we had one or two eruptions like hunga tonga every year over a period of a couple years.  Society might break down.  

I just read that hunga was the equivalent of 100 Hiroshima bombs.  The dinosaur asteroid was the equivalent of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs.  A bad day.  That's 100 million hungas going off at once.