Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
August Discobs 2024

JenkinsJinkies

4 hours ago, CAPE said:

I always do it mid-late August. Being in the woods, it's good to get the new grass established before the leaves start coming down.

Interesting - I know it's generally recommended to do September-ish, however if you have a lot of shade it does seem like August timeframe may be OK.  Seems like a bit bigger risk with late-summer hot spell, though being more shaded helps with that.

Unfortunately my lawn is half-shade half-sun.   The half-sun part got decimated this year during the drought.

Will probably give it a shot this weekend and hope we don't get any super hot spells over the coming weeks.

22 minutes ago, WolfStock1 said:

Interesting - I know it's generally recommended to do September-ish, however if you have a lot of shade it does seem like August timeframe may be OK.  Seems like a bit bigger risk with late-summer hot spell, though being more shaded helps with that.

Unfortunately my lawn is half-shade half-sun.   The half-sun part got decimated this year during the drought.

Will probably give it a shot this weekend and hope we don't get any super hot spells over the coming weeks.

The days are shorter and sun angle lowering- approaching 2 months beyond the Solstice. I have started reseeding the first week in August with good results. Soil is nice and warm so it germinates quick. Just keep the seed wet and covered- damn birds will eat it.

• Like 2

Another round of showers moving in here. Not how I envisioned this day going lol. Most of this was forecast to remain further west for much of today. Forecast is still for a tenth or less today outside of thunderstorms. Plenty of rain, and no thunder yet.

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

The days are shorter and sun angle lowering- approaching 2 months beyond the Solstice. I have started reseeding the first week in August with good results. Soil is nice and warm so it germinates quick. Just keep the seed wet and covered- damn birds will eat it.

Yeah, our lawn company is coming out next week to aerate and seed.  Now’s a good time to do it…I’ve had success in years past this time of year.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CAPE said:

19 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Getting a bit of sun for the first time today. Feels tropical out there now. There will likely be some impressive rain rates at times over the next 24 hours.

Mrs. V and I took the usual 4-5 mile walk this AM and yeah...it definitely felt more humid. But also cloudier, so it was more bearable...but barely. I need to get my arse out there right now to do the front lawn, before those storms to our south/west work their way up into SE FfxCo!

So, @CAPE...you've talked in previous years about how your "back 40" would be swampy (or not) and more mosquito-infested (or not)...how did that go during this somewhat DRIER year? You always seem to have a variety of challenges on your property, depending on how much rain we do, or do not get.  ;) 

6 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Mrs. V and I took the usual 4-5 mile walk this AM and yeah...it definitely felt more humid. But also cloudier, so it was more bearable...but barely. I need to get my arse out there right now to do the front lawn, before those storms to our south/west work their way up into SE FfxCo!

So, @CAPE...you've talked in previous years about how your "back 40" would be swampy (or not) and more mosquito-infested (or not)...how did that go during this somewhat DRIER year? You always seem to have a variety of challenges on your property, depending on how much rain we do, or do not get.  ;) 

That area is only 'swampy' in the late winter/early Spring. Once the trees become active and the days get longer/milder, the water table recedes and it dries up. Pretty much the same every year, just the duration of water sitting there varies depending on rainfall. Anyway, as long as I apply larvicide at the right time, the native skeeters are a non-issue. The invasive Asian Tigers are another story, as they arrive late Summer(now) and require very little water to be lying around to continue to breed- thus they can linger into October unless we get chilly earlier than normal(rare). Luckily here(so far) they haven't been a problem. This wet period over the next day or so might change that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Yep, looking a bit split-ish right now on radar...although, if that Frederick-to-Reston complex decides to extend to the south in any sort of way, my 'hood might be grazed.

Yep hearing thunder here could get grazed if lucky at my house. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dailylurker said:

Looks like things are getting back to normal. Stephens City whiff to the east, north and south. Mostly cloudy here. I had 0.60" in the rain bucket this morning. The drought feels over here. Looks like a decent shot at storms later on today across the DC area. 

Yep.  Not a drop since last Friday.  Nothing short of a tropical low moving up I-81 can produce rain here.

• Haha 1