Total Members
    Most Online
    Billy Chaos
    Newest Member
    Billy Chaos
August Discobs 2024

JenkinsJinkies

2 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Ninth coldest what? I can't figure out what he's talking about. Does he mean the 9th coldest August 20th daily high at National Airport (1945-2024)? Because if that's what he means, even that's incorrect. It tied 1986 & 2000 for the 8th coldest high on August 20th since records were kept at the airport. In the entire threaded record, it ties 1986 & 2000 for 14th chilliest August 20th maximum temperature.

It's nowhere near a monthly record.  There have been well over 100 days with a max temperature at or below 71F in the month of August in the threaded record - probably several hundreds of days at or below 76F. Since records were kept at the airport (1945-present), it ties numerous other years for 99th coldest August maximum temperature. Where is 9th coldest all-time coming from? :rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Ninth coldest what? I can't figure out what he's talking about. Does he mean the 9th coldest August 20th daily high at National Airport (1945-2024)? Because if that's what he means, even that's incorrect. It tied 1986 & 2000 for the 8th coldest high on August 20th since records were kept at the airport. In the entire threaded record, it ties 1986 & 2000 for 14th chilliest August 20th maximum temperature.

It's nowhere near a monthly record.  There have been well over 100 days with a max temperature at or below 71F in the month of August in the threaded record - probably several hundreds of days at or below 76F. Since records were kept at the airport (1945-present), it ties numerous other years for 99th coldest August maximum temperature. Where is 9th coldest all-time coming from? :rolleyes:

I think he's ranking by unique values, which I've seen @bluewave do in the past. The poster corrected it to 10th place in a follow-up. If so, that's true. There's only 9 lower unique values on record - 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 and 75. Although many of these lower values have been reached scores of times, including multiple times in many prior Augusts. So yes, ties for 10th lowest unique value max temperature, but lower maximum temperatures [between 67 & 75] have occurred on hundreds of dates in the month of August.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

I think he's ranking by unique values. He corrected it to 10th place in a follow-up. If so, that's true. There's only 9 lower unique values on record - 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 and 75. Although many of these have been reached dozens of times each.

I wonder how many of those were reached on days without full clouds and precip. It's also more impressive that this was done on August 20 and not later in the month.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

He is saying it was the ninth coldest High temperature ever record in August for a single day.

11 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I wonder how many of those were reached on days without full clouds and precip. It's also more impressive that this was done on August 20 and not later in the month.

Probably many.

There have been 7-day stretches entirely in the month of August in DC where the average maximum over that stretch was less than 70F.

image.png.b618708f27195470f4d2503cf8f63772.png

As recently as 1992, there was a 7-day stretch with an average maximum lower than yesterday's 76F.

image.png.140a8f3c727cee489378f0c16cb753e6.png