Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
August "Ughust" 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

28 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Always enjoy when the front lines up along the mtns and PF land is upsloping while we roast

image.gif

It was 73F at 6:30am and felt like a mid-summer morning that would yield 90+ by afternoon.

That came to a very abrupt end.

Sun is out now and mid-60s with a breeze.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

OXC and Waterbury can typically deviate significantly though. 84/73 here and I’m just down the road, still forecasted to hit upper 90s HI. 

75% of the school day will be done by the time we get there. Also, don't schools do 1/2 on Wednesday's or is that not a thing anymore?

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

lol it’s also a product of this forum and the torch crowd vs ACATT, as we call it.  It’s like a sporting event.  Daytime max is 82F instead of 88F and it’s a +1 for one team despite it being plenty warm, as you said.

Most of our summer is spent nitpicking points (+1s) on here for whatever your home team is.  Trying to spin it as daytime highs or only nighttime lows, how to frame the discussion to meet each of our own points.

Its not a hot month because the maxes were low/mid-80s when Johnny got out of school in the afternoon… no, it is a hot month because the average low in Quebec City was 70F but by then Johnny is tucked into bed in the A/C and doesn’t notice it.  But his swing-set is floating by his window in a flash flood from tropical rains at the same time.

Then Johnny’s parents are wondering why the electric bill is so high for a month that wasn’t hot, or was it hot?

It really is a sickness :lol:.

I know not of what you speak.

I have noticed it’s a sign of the times with regards to sun angle, that we can get daytime CAA to solidly off-set insolation.  This April sun angle doesn’t quite have the juice it used to.  Feels like 6 weeks ago we still would’ve been able to get an afternoon of 75-80F here despite CAA.  

2 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

I am so sick and tired of being tickled, teased, and tortured with these fake EML plumes. Done with summer...time to waive the white flag. All good things must come to and end. Ready for fall and winter and stupid 10:1 or Kuchera snow maps (depending on what is showing the most snow) for 220 hours out. 

So now you're going to start the Countdown to May 1, 2025 thread?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

OXC and Waterbury can typically deviate significantly though. 84/73 here and I’m just down the road, still forecasted to hit upper 90s HI. 

88.7/76.8 with a HI of 101....just a bit hot out there

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Models were well into the 70s in sne for today

for dewpoints? I could have sworn that yesterday's 12z guidance backed off that. NAM had dews in the lower 70's to start with dews dropping through the morning into the 60's (with 70's persisting longer across the shoreline). 

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

for dewpoints? I could have sworn that yesterday's 12z guidance backed off that. NAM had dews in the lower 70's to start with dews dropping through the morning into the 60's (with 70's persisting longer across the shoreline). 

You use the NAM way way way way way too much and give it too much weight 

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah for sure during cold season.  Wasn’t thinking winter as much as current season.

I was just thinking in warm season it really matters environmentally… soil temps, vegetation, insect migration northward, ticks, rainfall, humidity, cooling degree days/energy consumption, etc.

All that stuff environmentally has larger implications when nights don’t cool off.

Once below 32F in the winter, it doesn’t matter as much for sure.  And we only care about snow.  Most of our snowstorms up here result in above normal dailies.

Departures in summer have significant effect, as you've noted.  Equal departures in winter might draw a yawn.  If July had been 5° AN it would've been my warmest month in our 27 summers here, by 2+ degrees.  6 of our 26 Januarys have been 5+ AN and 3 of those had AN snow.  Those 6 Januarys average a whisker more than the month average snow.

33 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Could be here… two of those airports had dew points of 93F at one point in the past day or so.

Bet those kids are in school :lol:.

I've seen temp/TD readings like 98/89 from that area, and sometimes with 20+ wind and a condition of "sand".

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You use the NAM way way way way way too much and give it too much weight 

The NAM was the more humid of the guidance...the GFS was mid 60's lol. But the typical caveats apply with GFS having the tendency to overmix but I am pretty sure all guidance lowered. Maybe I just didn't look into it enough or in great detail as mesoanalysis shows great moisture pooling and rich llvl moisture so maybe I should have looked beyond 2m dews

53 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

75% of the school day will be done by the time we get there. Also, don't schools do 1/2 on Wednesday's or is that not a thing anymore?

Nah. Maybe that was a thing in 1990s…

Our schools are open today. I have issues with how they handle snow days sometimes but they generally do a good job with HH days. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I've seen temp/TD readings like 98/89 from that area, and sometimes with 20+ wind and a condition of "sand".

As a friend said, when the ocean temperatures start getting hotter than the human body temperature, it can’t mean good things :lol:.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Could be here… two of those airports had dew points of 93F at one point in the past day or so.

Bet those kids are in school :lol:.

i'm pretty resolute in the notion that we're being 'protected', so to speak, from experiencing what cc-attribuation is already capable of doing

• Confused 1