Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
August "Ughust" 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

9 hours ago, tunafish said:

Last 5 days here in PWM/ME have been arguably the best of summer.  All highs between 77-81 with a touch of dews, comfortable sleeping weather in the upper 50s, full sun every day - only precip was last night with 0.09" (clouds rolling in on the 2nd pic).  

Best part is all the tourists are mostly gone with school starting this week (for them, not us).  Noticeably less water traffic on Sebago Fri/Sat, with water temps in the upper 70s; no crowds at the water park with the kids on Sunday;  and quiet beaches and relatively warm water in Scarborough the past 2 nights.

Screenshot_20240827_225241_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240827_225159_Gallery.jpg

Naples marina was noticeably more quiet than usual last wknd. It's bitter sweet though. I like the busy vibe of summer, but when it gets quiet, you know the end is near, although there's something special about hanging out on the lake after most have gone home and feeling like you're the only one around.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Naples marina was noticeably more quiet than usual last wknd. It's bitter sweet though. I like the busy vibe of summer, but when it gets quiet, you know the end is near, although there's something special about hanging out on the lake after most have gone home and feeling like you're the only one around.

Exactly.  The buzz is fun and all but at this point in the season the quiet is a nice relief.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

Yore airmass on guidance to start next week. First frosts for the hollows in NNE?

Gardens die at Estcourt Station?

Had a quiet 0.19" in pre-dawn showers.  August total at 5.63", the 4th straight AN month and 7th of the last 9.

44 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Could also end up beng one of those CC patented, fradulent "warm" months when it seems cool during our day-to-day activities, but warmth is realized while we sleep under the cover of night.

See Vermont.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

2 hours ago, tunafish said:

Exactly.  The buzz is fun and all but at this point in the season the quiet is a nice relief.

We were talking about this at the golf course last night.  After Labor Day, golf seems to drop off pretty steeply.  The weather can be great but the courses seem to empty out.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Could also end up beng one of those CC patented, fradulent "warm" months when it seems cool during our day-to-day activities, but warmth is realized while we sleep under the cover of night.

Yup, still an above normal temp regime for the larger environment while humans act confused and try to peddle it was cold :lol:.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yup, still an above normal temp regime for the larger environment while humans act confused and try to peddle it was cold :lol:.

I get that the aggregatre anomalies in the mean are all that matter for purposes of verification, but those little idosyncracies matter come cold season. No one cares if Windsor, VT only hits 21 instead of 18 on a clear Tuesday night in January, if 31 abd snowing a few days later.

• Like 1

I am so sick and tired of being tickled, teased, and tortured with these fake EML plumes. Done with summer...time to waive the white flag. All good things must come to and end. Ready for fall and winter and stupid 10:1 or Kuchera snow maps (depending on what is showing the most snow) for 220 hours out. 

• Weenie 2

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I get that the aggregatre anomalies in the mean are all that matter for purposes of verification, but those little idosyncracies matter come cold season. No one cares if Windsor, VT only hits 21 instead of 18 on a clear Tuesday night in January, if 31 abd snowing a few days later.

I've grown to really hate the terms "above-average" and "below-average", at least pertaining to temperatures. First off, those terms means zilch to the general public and most probably don't even care. If location x has a climo high of 89 and it turns out to only get to 84...sure that is below-average but its still very warm. Look at like Montana or the Dakota's during their peak winter climo...departures could be like +30 and it doesn't change the fact that it is still cold lol.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yeah for sure during cold season.  Wasn’t thinking winter as much as current season.

I was just thinking in warm season it really matters environmentally… soil temps, vegetation, insect migration northward, ticks, rainfall, humidity, cooling degree days/energy consumption, etc.

All that stuff environmentally has larger implications when nights don’t cool off.

Once below 32F in the winter, it doesn’t matter as much for sure.  And we only care about snow.  Most of our snowstorms up here result in above normal dailies.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Nothing shows any semblance of summer and dews after this coming weekend. Only thing I am hanging my hat on is a big cane hit late Sept or Oct

Yea we knew that for a while but I do agree we may get some kind of extra tropical cyclone in here by Oct. 

33 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I've grown to really hate the terms "above-average" and "below-average", at least pertaining to temperatures. First off, those terms means zilch to the general public and most probably don't even care. If location x has a climo high of 89 and it turns out to only get to 84...sure that is below-average but it’s still very warm. Look at like Montana or the Dakota's during their peak winter climo...departures could be like +30 and it doesn't change the fact that it is still cold lol.

lol it’s also a product of this forum and the torch crowd vs ACATT, as we call it.  It’s like a sporting event.  Daytime max is 82F instead of 88F and it’s a +1 for one team despite it being plenty warm, as you said.

Most of our summer is spent nitpicking points (+1s) on here for whatever your home team is.  Trying to spin it as daytime highs or only nighttime lows, how to frame the discussion to meet each of our own points.

Its not a hot month because the maxes were low/mid-80s when Johnny got out of school in the afternoon… no, it is a hot month because the average low in Quebec City was 70F but by then Johnny is tucked into bed in the A/C and doesn’t notice it.  But his swing-set is floating by his window in a flash flood from tropical rains at the same time.

Then Johnny’s parents are wondering why the electric bill is so high for a month that wasn’t hot, or was it hot?

It really is a sickness :lol:.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

lol it’s also a product of this forum and the torch crowd vs ACATT, as we call it.  It’s like a sporting event.  Daytime max is 82F instead of 88F and it’s a +1 for one team despite it being plenty warm, as you said.

Most of our summer is spent nitpicking points (+1s) on here for whatever your home team is.  Trying to spin it as daytime highs or only nighttime lows, how to frame the discussion to meet each of our own points.

Its not a hot month because the maxes were low/mid-80s when Johnny got out of school in the afternoon… no, it is a hot month because the average low in Quebec City was 70F but by then Johnny is tucked into bed in the A/C and doesn’t notice it.

It really is a sickness :lol:.

Couldn't have stated it any better :lol: 

It all is in good fun and quite frankly what else is there to really discuss? On the other hand though, I'm sure there are some who lurk and might be interested in learning more about weather and forecasting and I can't even imagine what's going through their minds lol. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It's like he saw it coming and could not help himself. The electrical zaps are pretty dam funny as well. Glad he was ok. 

Can almost imagine it being Kevin in the morning and running right into the fallen tree becoming one with the damage. 

• Haha 1