• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
August "Ughust" 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

Thankfully no venomous spiders in this part of the country that are a threat to people. But even widows (not usually found around here) are shy spiders and won’t bite unless they are threatened. And they take good care of the other insects too

7 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

Thankfully no venomous spiders in this part of the country that are a threat to people. But even widows (not usually found around here) are shy spiders and won’t bite unless they are threatened. And they take good care of the other insects too

Ehh all that stuff about how bugs don’t bite or bees don’t sting unless provoked is total BS. I think I’ve been stung 5 times by bees. Every time except one I was doing nothing but minding my own business. The exception was during lunch at high school I was playing frisbee outside and it went into the bushes and when I reached in I got attacked by white faced hornets and was stung 6 or 7 times. Outside of that, I’ve always gotten stung doing nothing. I’ve never been stung swatting them away or swatting and running 

21 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

only spider that made me nervous was a black widow.. I saw it in walpole NH under a rock by a pond.. once I saw the hour glass I knew it was something bad and ran lol 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Ehh all that stuff about how bugs don’t bite or bees don’t sting unless provoked is total BS. I think I’ve been stung 5 times by bees. Every time except one I was doing nothing but minding my own business. The exception was during lunch at high school I was playing frisbee outside and it went into the bushes and when I reached in I got attacked by white faced hornets and was stung 6 or 7 times. Outside of that, I’ve always gotten stung doing nothing. I’ve never been stung swatting them away or swatting and running 

I have been stung on 4 occasions this summer alone.

• Sad 1

Last 5 days here in PWM/ME have been arguably the best of summer.  All highs between 77-81 with a touch of dews, comfortable sleeping weather in the upper 50s, full sun every day - only precip was last night with 0.09" (clouds rolling in on the 2nd pic).  

Best part is all the tourists are mostly gone with school starting this week (for them, not us).  Noticeably less water traffic on Sebago Fri/Sat, with water temps in the upper 70s; no crowds at the water park with the kids on Sunday;  and quiet beaches and relatively warm water in Scarborough the past 2 nights.

Screenshot_20240827_225241_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240827_225159_Gallery.jpg

• Like 12

7 hours ago, powderfreak said:

However often all it takes is the presence of a suit to attract the necessary attention.  You don’t want to be named in that suit regardless.  And they often settle too, to save court fees even if they have a winnable case.

It’s all very nuanced though… litigation happy country ties back to health insurance and if someone is looking down the barrel at losing their home, their kids’ college funds, etc because of some accident.  Thats why they started suing for the most part.  To find someone to be responsible for their medical bills.

Look at societies who don’t have litigation happy constituents, and their health care systems.  There’s a correlation.

Anyway, Mods feel free to move to banter.

Insurance companies will often settle rather than go to court. We ran into that issue at the snowmobile association. The company would retain attorneys who were not versed in outdoor motorized recreation and trails. They settled some stuff we didn’t feel should be. Our rates kept rising and they kept saying they were going to drop us. We finally started our own captive insurance company to cover our liability requirements.  If anyone had told me that I would be president of an insurance company, I would have said they were crazy. But here we are. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Ahhh crap 

74649739510__03CD8AAF-FA21-4B10-BAAF-61C5789315DC.jpeg

Female Orb spider?  I have several on my porch.  They're like pets.  The females are quite large, the males are puny.  I grab moths off the side of the house and toss them into the web and watch the females inject the venom and wrap it up in the cocoon.  Very soothing pastime.  

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Might uninstall after LDW.

I'll leave them in until October you can still get very warm days mixed in.. I can't wait to open the windows and let the fresh air in though..

Labor Day

Mostly sunny, with a high near 69. Northwest wind 6 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Monday Night

Mostly clear, with a low around 45. Northwest wind around 7 mph.

Tuesday

Sunny, with a high near 66. Northwest wind 6 to 8 mph.