Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
August "Ughust" 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

1 minute ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

.....it is a lot more difficult to prove gross negligence than what many people assume...educators and coaches are well versed in gross negligence....yes some instances of it does take place but even those lawsuits can be difficult to prove and win..

Bingo...exactly what my girlfriend has said when we discuss this stuff. She says its one of the most challenging things to not only prove but convince a jury on. 

8 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Bingo...exactly what my girlfriend has said when we discuss this stuff. She says its one of the most challenging things to not only prove but convince a jury on. 

However often all it takes is the presence of a suit to attract the necessary attention.  You don’t want to be named in that suit regardless.  And they often settle too, to save court fees even if they have a winnable case.

It’s all very nuanced though… litigation happy country ties back to health insurance and if someone is looking down the barrel at losing their home, their kids’ college funds, etc because of some accident.  Thats why they started suing for the most part.  To find someone to be responsible for their medical bills.

Look at societies who don’t have litigation happy constituents, and their health care systems.  There’s a correlation.

Anyway, Mods feel free to move to banter.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

There are some dumb asses out there that push the rules and limits beyond where they should be pushed. With that said the vast majority of coaches that I know are very aware of safety protocols and rules/regulations. Keep in mind every hs athlete MUST submit a physical report before being allowed to practice. In many cases parents need to sign a waiver and other medical forms. 

A good example of this is the one of the Tauton HS website.

https://highschool.tauntonschools.org/apps/form/form.TAUSD-TAHS.ubCKRb7.S2_?_=1715952960469

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Made it up to 80.3°. I hate to see these days waning.

Yeah I always say another month of true summer weather would be really nice around here. I’m jealous of some of my cousins who recently made the big move down to North Carolina. I know from some past experience that the step down there is much more gradual and is fantastic if you like spending time at the beach, even later in the season. But I can’t complain too much, the cooler months have been much tamer lately and the winters are nothing like they used to be even just ten years ago. For now, we take and bake!

59 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

It's ridiculous. 

My girlfriend came across a story a few months back where someone is suing one of the candy companies (or trying too) because the candy didn't look exactly like the candy on the box or something. This is where we're at as a society...

There used to be an annual article on the weirdest lawsuit decisions, maybe still is done.  The one I best recall was about 30 years ago.  A guy was driving his RV, put the vehicle on cruise control then went back to the kitchen to make breakfast.  He (and passengers?  Don't remember if there were any) was awarded a pile of money and . . . a replacement RV.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

All of a sudden Stein setting in . Someone mentioned that last week . Dry out with almost nothing last week or so and none this week 

Good. I’m tired of mowing every four days. Grass just won’t stop. 

• Like 1

Corn sweat. Never heard that one. lol

All plants have evapotranspiration and put moisture into the air. Those huge sprawling corn fields pump a lot of moisture into those big ridges. It sends the dews sky high, but keeps the temps a bit in check. Dews well into the 80s can happen occasionally. 

• Like 1