Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
August "Ughust" 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

10 hours ago, WinterSnow said:

This sucks. I've never been an outdoor person, but I was kinda becoming more of an outdoor person after moving up here this summer. I've been enjoying the beaches. To think that late last week I was very close to going up to near Plymouth, but chose a beach in Rhode Island instead.

I'm vulnerable (yay for arthritis at a young age) so I have to be extremely careful with things like this. I haven't seen many mosquitoes since coming up here and don't think I've been bitten by one, but this is very scary. I want to keep on enjoying beaches in the future.

For me, this doesn't compute.  I don't know if I fed mosquitos during my first 4 years, in East Orange, NJ (30k people, 4 sq.mi.), after which we lived in the Jersey Highlands then Maine.  From 1950 on, I've been donating blood to the little beasts (and assorted other flying blood-drinkers) on most days during the warm season.  Of course, the things like me - when a group of us in the woods, no one wearing bug dope, most of the biting insects would be visiting me.

21 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think they have something...just need to avoid f&&king it up, which may be tough because they have been exposed as one of those organizations now that B & B are gone.

I mean it was all bound to not only come down but crashing down. Look at any franchise across any sport that went on to have prolific, long-term success, not only do they come crashing down but it can take several-plus years to really re-bound. Maybe football is easier but when you go so many years with bottom of the round picks, its going to be extremely difficult to bring in young talent...so what do you do? Well, you almost have to "get lucky" and try to find players who may be overlooked and get that steal. 

• Like 1

yeah gotta admit    for those seeking entertainment distractions by the weather arm of natural wonders, your wrestling with a paraplegic when looking over that modeling cinema.  ooph

every time the models start leaning warm departures ...they yaw the entire hemisphere into an early autumn.   then, yaw back the other way.  reality being something in between is about as uninspiring as a dynamic realm the size of a whole planet is physically capable of dulling our senses with.  and every time those oscillations happen, the posts by the respective warm vs cool season enthusiasts hang their trophies from the other side's taint hairs. 

better things to do than spectator that nimroddery.  

but unless the tropics gin up something even fractionally as impressive as the social-media's heretofore bundemental skill's prediction for this season, this is why 2nd to april, the two times of the year can be quite the slog

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I mean it was all bound to not only come down but crashing down. Look at any franchise across any sport that went on to have prolific, long-term success, not only do they come crashing down but it can take several-plus years to really re-bound. Maybe football is easier but when you go so many years with bottom of the round picks, its going to be extremely difficult to bring in young talent...so what do you do? Well, you almost have to "get lucky" and try to find players who may be overlooked and get that steal. 

I don't agree. I think they have botched this transition tremendously. It was clear that they didn't have a plan post Brady and they continued to draft poorly and refuse to spend on players or coaches. Obviously that level of success had to end, but they didn't need to become the laughing stock of the league to the point where the Jaguars are mocking them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I don't agree. I think they have bothced this transition tremendously. It was clear that they didn't have a plan post Brady and they continued to draft poorly and refuse to spend on players or coaches.

Well this I agree with. Had they executed better, the transition would have been much more smooth and they could have avoided these years of total garbage. 

6 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Well this I agree with. Had they executed better, the transition would have been much more smooth and they could have avoided these years of total garbage. 

I honestly am not not a fan of Kraft...I will give him credit for Belicheck, but otherwise I think he is cheap and more concerned with public image than winning. Having Brady for 20 years masked how much he sucks as an owner and now we are seeing it. Bill is gone and they still don't spend, so the idiotic notion that Bill was deciding how much they spend is put to bed. He massages his prostate to all of this "cap space", which is fake, anyway, at Orchids of Asia and does nothing with it.

Make no mistake about it....cap is only an illusion for owners to rationalize being cheap....there are so many ways around that....owners that want to spend just keep restructuring deals to concvery money into a signing bonus.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I honestly am not not a fan of Kraft...I will give him credit for Belicheck, but otherwise I think he is cheap and more concerned with public image than winning. Having Brady for 20 years masked how much he sucks as an owner and now we are seeing it. Bill is gone and they still don't spend, so the idiotic notion that Bill was deciding how much they spend is put to bed.

Sounds similar to another team we know...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Sounds similar to another team we know...

Bit different...Henry is a great owner when he wants to be...but after using the Sox as a vehicle of ascent for FSG he is now content to be more frugal and avail of the fact that Fenway is a tourist destination. Kraft was always a shitty owner that picked the right coach who got the goose that laid the golden football for 20 years.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Bit different...Henry is a great owner when he wants to be...but after using the Sox as a vehicle of ascent for FSG he is now content to be more frugal and avail of the fact that Fenway is a tourist destination. Kraft was always a shitty owner that picked the right coach who got the goose that laid the golden football for 20 years.

Many in Connecticut will always despise him for using Hartford as a means to get the new stadium in Foxboro. There are a ton of people in Connecticut who hate the Patriots because of this and stopped rooting for the team. 

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Many in Connecticut will always despise him for using Hartford as a means to get the new stadium in Foxboro. There are a ton of people in Connecticut who hate the Patriots because of this and stopped rooting for the team. 

Kraft is a great bussiness and and a shitty NFL owner.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Henry and FSG have been great owners for Liverpool in the Premier League.  The way they renovated their existing stadium to keep the historic aspects while modernizing it has bee spectacular.  They are careful with money they spend but will splash out on the right player.  They are going through a similar transition as the Pats in terms of a new coaching staff and I am happy that it is FSG and Henry at the helm rather than the Kraft team.

• Like 1

Just now, mreaves said:

Henry and FSG have been great owners for Liverpool in the Premier League.  The way they renovated their existing stadium to keep the historic aspects while modernizing it has bee spectacular.  They are careful with money they spend but will splash out on the right player.  They are going through a similar transition as the Pats in terms of a new coaching staff and I am happy that it is FSG and Henry at the helm rather than the Kraft team.

I would take Henry over Kraft as an owner...hands down.

29 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I honestly am not not a fan of Kraft...I will give him credit for Belicheck, but otherwise I think he is cheap and more concerned with public image than winning. Having Brady for 20 years masked how much he sucks as an owner and now we are seeing it. Bill is gone and they still don't spend, so the idiotic notion that Bill was deciding how much they spend is put to bed. He massages his prostate to all of this "cap space", which is fake, anyway, at Orchids of Asia and does nothing with it.

Make no mistake about it....cap is only an illusion for owners to rationalize being cheap....there are so many ways around that....owners that want to spend just keep restructuring deals to concvery money into a signing bonus.

They spent more when Bill was here.

• Like 1

Sunday could definitely be up in the air. If we get lucky, the FROPA occurs overnight and most of the rain/thunderstorm activity is evening/overnight with the front pushing off the coast Sunday morning, yielding improving conditions as the day progresses. However, there is potential the front gets hung up or stalls and that would yield a very shitty Sunday.

2 hours ago, Cyclone-68 said:

If we can at least find out that D Maye is the real thing I’d be satisfied with that 

agreed but in the early going I'd like Brissett to be the one testing out just how bad this O-line is. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

The existing stadium was a shambles, the worst of any in the NFL by far.  Kraft may have used Hartford to gain permission to build Gillette, but he did put his money where his mouth was.  From what I've read, no public money was spent on it, though the state tossed in a bunch for the surrounding infrastructure.
Last year died on week 4 when the Pats' 2 best defenders went out for the season.  The rest of the defense did yeoman work, but with those losses, nothing would be able lift the crummy offense into mediocrity.

Nice sun after early fog, warm but not too much - mid-70s.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I have noticed that trend in some of the seasonal guidance for the winter, too....just FYI at this point and something to watch.

Lets get some of that dim sun with flurries melting on impact in Tolland and cold wedged east of ORH hills.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, tamarack said:

The existing stadium was a shambles, the worst of any in the NFL by far.  Kraft may have used Hartford to gain permission to build Gillette, but he did put his money where his mouth was.  From what I've read, no public money was spent on it, though the state tossed in a bunch for the surrounding infrastructure.
Last year died on week 4 when the Pats' 2 best defenders went out for the season.  The rest of the defense did yeoman work, but with those losses, nothing would be able lift the crummy offense into mediocrity.

Nice sun after early fog, warm but not too much - mid-70s.

First game I ever went to was at the end of December, A meaningless game against the Vikings at the old Sullivan stadium. High school girlfriend's parents took us. They were mortified. I've been to a lot of sporting events but it was by far the worst fan behavior I've ever seen. It was like something out of a movie. Walked down to the concession area near the end of the game and it was an all-out brawl. Had to be 50 people fighting. Fighting with each other and fighting with cops. I think it was after that game they started shutting down the concessions early. Place was a dump...

• Like 1