Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
August "Ughust" 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

54 minutes ago, kdxken said:

How concerned do folks get over equine encephalitis? Always worries me a bit in big years considering the time I spend outdoors. Had a classmate in elementary school die of it. If it can take a third grader I wouldn't stand a chance. 

"How dangerous is EEE?

The most serious complication associated with the disease is known as encephalitis, or inflammation and swelling of the brain, DPH says. There’s no treatment for EEE and about half of the people who contracted it in Massachusetts died from the infection, officials say.

In 2019, 12 people were infected with EEE in Massachusetts and six died

This sucks. I've never been an outdoor person, but I was kinda becoming more of an outdoor person after moving up here this summer. I've been enjoying the beaches. To think that late last week I was very close to going up to near Plymouth, but chose a beach in Rhode Island instead.

I'm vulnerable (yay for arthritis at a young age) so I have to be extremely careful with things like this. I haven't seen many mosquitoes since coming up here and don't think I've been bitten by one, but this is very scary. I want to keep on enjoying beaches in the future.

• Sad 1

Honestly I agree. It’s weird though, we've had a lot of small bees which I can’t really put a pin on showing up in recent days. Every time I go out to fill up my birdbaths they are just latched on to the edges, lapping up the residual moisture. It kind of freaks me out but so far they appear to have no interest in attacking me and just go straight for the water when I refill the basins. I’ll see if I can get a good shot later of the little guys when I’m out again. 

8 hours ago, kdxken said:

How concerned do folks get over equine encephalitis? Always worries me a bit in big years considering the time I spend outdoors. Had a classmate in elementary school die of it. If it can take a third grader I wouldn't stand a chance. 

"How dangerous is EEE?

The most serious complication associated with the disease is known as encephalitis, or inflammation and swelling of the brain, DPH says. There’s no treatment for EEE and about half of the people who contracted it in Massachusetts died from the infection, officials say.

In 2019, 12 people were infected with EEE in Massachusetts and six died

It's quite rare to contract, but life altering at the least if you get it. My uncle's mother got EEE and it made her a vegetable the rest of her life.

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, WinterSnow said:

This sucks. I've never been an outdoor person, but I was kinda becoming more of an outdoor person after moving up here this summer. I've been enjoying the beaches. To think that late last week I was very close to going up to near Plymouth, but chose a beach in Rhode Island instead.

I'm vulnerable (yay for arthritis at a young age) so I have to be extremely careful with things like this. I haven't seen many mosquitoes since coming up here and don't think I've been bitten by one, but this is very scary. I want to keep on enjoying beaches in the future.

The beaches will be fine in general. I’ve never had an issue with mosquitoes on the beaches.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Looks fairly seasonable going forward. Brief warmups and cooldowns. Plenty of late digging troughs to our north to sneak cold fronts in and keep the sustained heat to our west. 

I have noticed that trend in some of the seasonal guidance for the winter, too....just FYI at this point and something to watch.

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

38 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I'm just ready to punt the rest of summer. May as well get used to punting anyways with the Pats season starting soon. 

Smart, not many who still believe it's going to be high heat and dew points through October. 

Screenshot_20240827_093548_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Been thinking about it the past few days and I'm ready for fall/winter. I'm getting excited to have football back and hockey starting soon. It will also be fun tracking how the Celtics do (but I can't get myself to watch regular season games). This was a fun summer though I always wish I could be outside more. I try to work outside every now and then and would go outside and play with the dog 2-3 times a day. The past 2 months have been difficult though with the dog situation and other stuff so haven't gotten to enjoy outside as much as I would want too.

I just hope though this winter has something to offer. I hope its an active winter...even if that just means several 3-5'' events. One giant event (12-18+) in a winter of dud...I mean that is fantastic in the moment leading up to and during the event but that feeling wares off after a while. 

I don't want to have another situation of getting caught up in these, "the D8-10 or whatever" EPS looks good...and then all of a sudden you're chasing and chasing and before you know it 6+ weeks of the season is gone. 

• Like 2