Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
August "Ughust" 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

25 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I ran 7 marathons and it would amaze me how many would get into the beer line. As much as I love beer, the last thing I dreamed of having immediately after was beer. I was always so nauseous when I finished . Needed water/ Gatorade and that’s it. I ran Falmouth RD race last Sunday(7 mile course) and didn’t see a beer truck though there may have been 1

Yeah, it was hard playing pharmacist knowing that Beer might not be the best first beverage.  
The funny thing is the marathon “runner number” comes with three tickets attached. One is for beer, one is for food and one is for dessert or “other beverage”.

• Like 1

I don’t know what’s with all this doom posting about ending summer. It’s a beautiful day and a perfect late summer evening as far as I can tell. I know we’re technically past the glory days of the season but there’s still some good gas left in the tank. Even the crazy hummingbirds are still making the rounds, albeit some pretty frantic ones before migration starts. Get the out there and enjoy it baby! 

IMG_0361.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Snowedin said:

I don’t know what’s with all this doom posting about ending summer. It’s a beautiful day and a perfect late summer evening as far as I can tell. I know we’re technically past the glory days of the season but the season still has some good gas left in the tank. Get the out there and enjoy it baby!

There’s two months of nice weather left.  Top 10 day season coming up in Sept and Oct usually.

As a forum though, folks’ emotions are often more tied to the future than the present.  If there’s a blizzard in progress but consensus for a cutter in 4 days, some will not be able to enjoy the blizzard.

Just like we’ll mourn the end of summer for the next two months for fear of another winter of 40s and rain.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Today? I’m 20 miles from the east slope and it’s been partly to mostly sunny all day.

I poured beer most of the day for the fine athletes who competed in the Green River Marathon.   The entire course is mostly on unpaved country road that follows the Green River in the canopy of deciduous trees.

It’s amazing how many runners immediately come and get a beer after they are done. Lol

There’s  a guy who does it every year pushing his disabled son in a carriage set up.  Tears me up every year.

Is that the guy from Brimfield, MA? He's a legend around here, can't remember their names off the top of my head.

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

I hope so I want to catch a round of the LPGA tournament at TPC. Can't be any worse than St Andrews.

Last time I played a round was at St Andrews.  I remember my first drive landing right in the fairway on the Old Course.  It could have been better only had I been playing the Old Course and not the course next to it.

Great fun even though I managed to lose enough balls into the sea, gorse and ponds that  when I found some kids who were fishing balls out of a pond and I bought some from them so I could finish the round.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

There’s two months of nice weather left.  Top 10 day season coming up in Sept and Oct usually.

As a forum though folks’ emotions are often more tied to the future than the present.  If there’s a blizzard in progress but consensus for a cutter in 4 days, some will not be able to enjoy the blizzard.

Just like we’ll mourn the end of summer for the next two months for fear of another winter of 40s and rain.

Books can be written on this mindset.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Books can be written on this mindset.

I’m afflicted to some degree.  I think it’s the information overload in society… cue Tip.

It’s just taking the emotional let down of a subsidence zone, one step further.  Worrying about the rain after the storm.

A weenie in 1932 loves the 16” of snowfall, and ignorance is bliss about what his neighbors received and the upcoming weather.  The snow lover today smashes his keyboard when he sees 10 miles away get 28”, and it’s going to rain within 5 days.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

A ways out but next weekend looks pretty decent. 

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Seems like at least one if not 2 of the 3 days feature showers :storms with dews 

Storms and dews sounds pretty decent to me, as long as we can get some partial sunshine during the day too.

Wednesday could be a big day, particularly west of here. Late show here but severe threat should persist into the overnight. 

EDIT: Lots of model uncertainty though with placement of some of the key features but with EML associated this should be watched. EML may weaken though as it approaches our area. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Holiday weekend not looking good. Hailers today? 

Screenshot_20240826_063746_Google.jpg

Saturday looks iffy with warm front moving through with some showers but the cold front moves through evening or overnight. May have to deal with some showers/thunder around for a part of Sunday but high pressure will be building in so second half of Sunday may be fine and right now Monday looks to be pretty decent. 

31 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Wednesday could be a big day, particularly west of here. Late show here but severe threat should persist into the overnight. 

EDIT: Lots of model uncertainty though with placement of some of the key features but with EML associated this should be watched. EML may weaken though as it approaches our area. 

Looks like LBSW

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Saturday looks iffy with warm front moving through with some showers but the cold front moves through evening or overnight. May have to deal with some showers/thunder around for a part of Sunday but high pressure will be building in so second half of Sunday may be fine and right now Monday looks to be pretty decent. 

Yeah it looks like the front should be out early Sunday. Two out of three ain't bad.

9 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

There is currently some decent lightning low on the horizon off to the north. Was pretty surprised to see the nearest convection was waaaaay the hell up by Pittsburg.

After dark the lightning can be seen from a long distance.  Years ago, we were heading back from a late meeting in eastern Maine, and as we drove thru Belfast we could see flashes to our west.  The wx radio noted a TS in the Rangeley area, 90-100 miles away.

Rumbles here since one woke me up at 5:55 this morning.  Only light RA here but points 10-25 miles to the northeast are getting hammered.  I posted the GYX flash flood warning on the 8/26 convection thread.

Today will
feature a moderately unstable environment with 1500-2000 J/kg of
surface based instability. 0-6km shear is not looking quite as
decent as it did yesterday with only 15-25 knots of shear.
The severe weather setup is still rather similar to the one we saw
on Thursday July 15th where a strong cold pool dropped south from
Northern New England. This event brought severe thunderstorms that
dropped up to 1.5 inch hail and numerous reports of damaging winds.
Soundings show an even more impressive environment then last time
with large cape profiles and moderately steep mid level lapse rates
between 6.0-6.5 C/km. Low level lapse rates are very steep around 8-
10C/km. With freezing levels around 10kft and elongated straight
line hodographs, the primary threat appears to be severe hail of 1
inch or greater. The damaging wind threat is a close second primary
threat. Even with weak low and mid level wind fields, very steep low
level lapse rates will allow any bowing segments to pose a damaging
wind threat. The DCAPE values have also increased slightly since
yesterday now showing around 600 J/kg.