• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
August "Ughust" 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

In this period of the doldrums, watched the Eye of the Storm series on Discovery to fill the void. Some crazy footage I hadn't seen before from recent tornado outbreaks, hurricane Ida, Buffalo snowmaggedon, etc. Pretty good.

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

From the firewood poem:  "Ash wood green or ash wood dry; a king shall lay his slippers by."

Comment on burning balsam poplar when it's green, from an Allagash logger, "You couldn't afford to buy the oil it would take to burn balm'o'Gilead!"

Nothing burns green. Although I'm sure balsam poplar dries pretty quick. Fastest drying wood I deal with is soft maple. Black cherry dries pretty quick too.

On 8/21/2024 at 1:30 PM, Damage In Tolland said:

Please cite and list them all here. Thanks!

Lower sun angle, longer nights, more and more leaves on the ground, vegetables reaching max growth,buds coming out on weed plants, more 540 lines appear on modeling. Frequent cooler intrusions. WTTE broke back 10 days ago but you and Scooter were hanging on tightly.  At least Scooter acknowledged a passing mild up then more cooler weather. It's over cowboy 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You mean what’s coming all next week?

83/68 at 2k in Templeton in late Augdewst is much AN

Wheres the cool chilly crisp air pattern promised?

Never said chilly and crisp but it will definitely cool down towards the end of the week.. most of the week is average anyways if not slightly below

Hell of a way to run a HHH week 

This Afternoon
Sunny, with a high near 77. West wind around 5 mph.
Tonight
Mostly clear, with a low around 57. Light west wind.
Sunday
Isolated showers after 1pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 79. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Sunday Night
Isolated showers before 9pm, then a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms between 9pm and 10pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 58. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Monday
A slight chance of showers between noon and 1pm, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 1pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 78. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Monday Night
A chance of showers and thunderstorms before 1am, then a slight chance of showers between 1am and 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 57. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Tuesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 77. Light west wind.
Tuesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 60. Calm wind.
Wednesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 80. Calm wind becoming west 5 to 7 mph in the morning.
Wednesday Night
A chance of showers between 9pm and 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 59. West wind around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Thursday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 72. Northwest wind 6 to 8 mph.
Thursday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 55. North wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Friday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 73. North wind 3 to 6 mph.
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

That 12z GFS is just comfortable.  A couple days hitting the low to mid 80s torch spots early on but most of that run was just “comfortable”…

That run is by and large 70s days, 50s by night widespread across New England.  Not cool.  Not hot.  Just right.  And that’s ok.  Doesn’t need to be hyped one way or the other.

except that ncep's managed to create a model that's consummately doing whatever it can to get there in the winter and summer

3 hours ago, kdxken said:

Nothing burns green. Although I'm sure balsam poplar dries pretty quick. Fastest drying wood I deal with is soft maple. Black cherry dries pretty quick too.

Every wood species burns far better when seasoned, but if I had to cut one day and burn the next, white ash would be the clear choice.  I've read that in NNE, red spruce would be the 2nd choice - crummy heat value but has the lowest water content of any tree native to the region.  Very little on our woodlot and I prize all of it.  Also, there's white ash that's handy to the road.  I don't think black cherry was listed on the burn-green table I saw several decades back, but it would be a contender, likely a better moisture/BTU ratio than the spruce.

When we lived in town at our first house, I cut down 3 balsam poplars, and since they landed in the yard they went thru a stove.  We'd never load it into the little Jotul 602 on our center chimney upstairs, which would furnish at temps down to about -20 in our 18x20 foot 2-story.  We had an old $20 parlor stove (cheap even in 1978) in the basement, not quite as leaky as a lobster trap, and all the balsam poplar went thru that thing on the coldest mornings.  Splitting the stuff made me wish for safety glasses with windshield wipers, as water splattered with every strike of the maul.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Every wood species burns far better when seasoned, but if I had to cut one day and burn the next, white ash would be the clear choice.  I've read that in NNE, red spruce would be the 2nd choice - crummy heat value but has the lowest water content of any tree native to the region.  Very little on our woodlot and I prize all of it.  Also, there's white ash that's handy to the road.  I don't think black cherry was listed on the burn-green table I saw several decades back, but it would be a contender, likely a better moisture/BTU ratio than the spruce.

When we lived in town at our first house, I cut down 3 balsam poplars, and since they landed in the yard they went thru a stove.  We'd never load it into the little Jotul 602 on our center chimney upstairs, which would furnish at temps down to about -20 in our 18x20 foot 2-story.  We had an old $20 parlor stove (cheap even in 1978) in the basement, not quite as leaky as a lobster trap, and all the balsam poplar went thru that thing on the coldest mornings.  Splitting the stuff made me wish for safety glasses with windshield wipers, as water splattered with every strike of the maul.

A mature black locust will burn without a hint of sizzle. All the moisture is in the sapwood. If we have a long firewood season and I'm out of seasoned wood I'll take down a few big old trees. Hate to do it but it's money.

• Like 1

Awesome evening but not a fan of the sun going down behind the hills by 7:10pm.  It was 8:30pm a couple months ago.

The fields have these sandboxes from flooding this summer… River sand deposites.  One of those flash flood events had where I’m standing waist deep in flowing water.

IMG_0560.thumb.jpeg.bc051b01008d4e6e20396da1d9157202.jpeg

• Like 5

Just now, powderfreak said:

Awesome evening but not a fan of the sun going down behind the hills by 7:10pm.  It was 8:30pm a couple months ago.

The fields have these sandboxes from flooding this summer… River sand deposites.  One of those flash flood events had where I’m standing waist deep in flowing water.

IMG_0560.thumb.jpeg.bc051b01008d4e6e20396da1d9157202.jpeg

74/57 sign me up for another couple months. Bugs are pretty much in the past (excluding yellow jackets). Best time of year.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, kdxken said:

A mature black locust will burn without a hint of sizzle. All the moisture is in the sapwood. If we have a long firewood season and I'm out of seasoned wood I'll take down a few big old trees. Hate to do it but it's money.

Only problem is the inside's usually hollow and the pressure is incredible . No real safe way to do it. A plunge cut won't help. Only time I've ever had a saw knocked out of my hands. This was a baby..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

My dad never prepared for winter. We split wood in the worst cold and threw it in the ‘Defiant’ straight away sometimes without even stacking it when we got caught short.  He didn’t care what kind of tree it was.  My name was ‘Get Wood’ and brother was known as ‘Stack Wood.’  I burn pellets now.  

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

My dad never prepared for winter. We split wood in the worst cold and threw it in the ‘Defiant’ straight away sometimes without even stacking it when we got caught short.  He didn’t care what kind of tree it was.  My name was ‘Get Wood’ and brother was known as ‘Stack Wood.’  I burn pellets now.  

Dad's :) . My name was 'Split Wood'  especially when I was a teenager and he knew I had tied one on the night before. Lucky I didn't chop my foot off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, kdxken said:

Dad's :) . My name was 'Split Wood'  especially when I was a teenager and he knew I had tied one on the night before. Lucky I didn't chop my foot off.

Gives me the shivers thinking about it.  I was probably 8 years old using a maul. Never see that shit now.  For some reason Dad thought my 6 yo brother should not use it which at the time made no sense to me.  Dad preferred smaller diameter trees so we didn’t have to split as much anyway.  Green ones.  He would burn a tire if he could and in fact one time he lit a railroad tie at a campfire.  Smoldered for days.  

My pellet stove needs a motherboard.  I’d rather replace that than split wood any day.  I’d better get around to it soon.  I have a ton of pellets left over!  

• Haha 1