Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
August "Ughust" 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

28 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Yes because it’s still full of toxic waste washed down from all the floods. 

State tests Green River in several places every week and MA has ridiculous standards for water safety. 

But yeah, Vermont is generally a toxic waste repository, just pouring into our virgin Western Massachusetts rivers.  B)

• Haha 4

51/51.3.  Everything covered in dew, including windows.  

Took a long drive through Southbury and Woodbury yesterday.  Besides the larger flooding issues where entire bridges and roads were washed out, there are dozens of places where streams blasted into the roadsides, eroding out a few feet underneath the roadway and causing partial collapse.  At this point, there are just cones warning people of the dangers.  I can't imagine how long it will take to repair them all, and what that repair process will entail. Traffic is a nightmare, too of course.  What should have been a 12 minute drive to Southbury took me 40 minutes, and that won't change anytime soon.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

A former coworker and Ryan were telling me how Oxford got hit by the 1989 tornado and the May 2018 QLCS event. That might be the most violent town in New England. 

Yup, Oxford was ground zero in May 2018.  Although I'm not sure how bad it was in the 1989 tornado, from what I've read most damage was in Hamden where entire neighborhoods were destroyed. 

2 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Yup, Oxford was ground zero in May 2018.  Although I'm not sure how bad it was in the 1989 tornado, from what I've read most damage was in Hamden where entire neighborhoods were destroyed. 

Actually yeah I think they may have been clipped but I saw a storm report of 4.4” in 30 minutes from that July 89 supercell. Wtf. 

605 PM EDT    NEW HAVEN      OXFORD            4.4 INCHES RAIN 1/2 HR.

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Actually yeah I think they may have been clipped but I saw a storm report of 4.4” in 30 minutes from that July 89 supercell. Wtf. 

Wow so ya they probably had serious flooding from that, just no Tornado there, unless it clipped extreme eastern Oxford.

On a side note, people are still in shock from Sunday.  Almost the entire town was severely damaged with the focus on the main roads and retail.  Talking with my gym members from Oxford this week (about a quarter of my members) it is truly a life changing event for everyone.  School may not open for weeks, you have to reroute your 5 minute drive to now 25+ minutes, side roads are extremely dangerous and unstable, more homes and businesses may collapse in the coming days, an underrated aspect is even the businesses that weren't directly affected eventually will be because you can't get to them.  One member has a house on a cliff off Lake Zoar, she lost 15 feet of property down the cliff this week, another 15 feet and her home falls 50' into the Lake, I'm afraid what will happen the next heavy rain event for all the compromised structures. 

• Sad 4

Monday could be a fun day actually. Shear is pretty poor and it's not the most impressive of cold pools, however, GFS has ~-14C 500mb temperatures with 6.5-7 C/KM lapse rates atop of dewpoints well into the 60's. That's pretty good moisture for those values. The weak shear will limit organization and prevent good updraft/downdraft separation but could be a few decent hail producers. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Ya it looks like the tornado went from Cornwall to east of Waterbury and dissipated, then the crazy damage happened as it reorganized over Hamden. 

IMG_4192.jpeg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Monday could be a fun day actually. Shear is pretty poor and it's not the most impressive of cold pools, however, GFS has ~-14C 500mb temperatures with 6.5-7 C/KM lapse rates atop of dewpoints well into the 60's. That's pretty good moisture for those values. The weak shear will limit organization and prevent good updraft/downdraft separation but could be a few decent hail producers. 

ohhhhh yeah

image.png.a386c5148dc69d6e079b9b4c7ae946dd.png

• Weenie 1

15 hours ago, kdxken said:

How much is tourism down up there? The weather has been god awful. A couple summers like this one can do some serious damage. "Vermont? Are you kidding? It's always raining "

With great scenery and good attractions, rain is tolerable.  Every one of our 8 August days in Norway 7 years back had some rain and 2 were all-day rains but we had a wonderful time.  The one in Oslo was fortunately our planned museum day.  The rain started with sunrise thunder and became a mid-50s downpour in late afternoon as we waited 45 (not nice) minutes outside the Viking Museum until the right bus arrived.  The rainy day in Bergen (which calls itself the rainiest city in Europe) was quite light and only made the coffee taste better.

Full sun this morning, first time in almost 2 weeks to see that at 7 AM.  Have not checked the max-min but suspect it dipped under 50.  Since today's average here is 74/52, that's not unusual.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

Why wasn’t Wor 1953 a “right turner”? Just curious is all 

Supercells, typically strong/more mature supercells tend to move to the right of the mean wind, however, its highly dependent on the wind profile. If you have good veering of winds with height you're more likely to get right movers. It can be difficult to get classic looking right movers because of the challenges to get that perfect wind profile. I don't believe the wind profile that day probably favored right moving supercells.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Can confirm. ‘89 was wild here. 

1 hour ago, ma blizzard said:

Already a top 10 day out there 

Amazing day.  Interesting that this past ULL was the first stretch of 3 sub-70 degree days in Burlington in 10 years.

Key Message:

* Beautiful weather through Saturday with plentiful sunshine and
  seasonable temperatures.

We bid adios to a vertically stacked upper level low pressure system
that has brought us an unseasonable fall-like chill and the first
stretch of three sub-70 degree days in August at Burlington since

1 hour ago, Cyclone-68 said:

Why wasn’t Wor 1953 a “right turner”? Just curious is all 

it probably was ...

in most cases ... the warm inflow tends to be on the right side of the storm path, such that the updraft preferentially seeks that sources once the segregation of updraft and downdraft is taking place.  as the storm operates in perpetuity, it biases the continuous development in whatever direction is supplying the instability.  

it's just that there are other forces also concurrent with those mechanics, and the totality of the storm motion will be an average of all that contributes - this more and less obscures matters

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Amazing day.  Interesting that this past ULL was the first stretch of 3 sub-70 degree days in Burlington in 10 years.

Key Message:

* Beautiful weather through Saturday with plentiful sunshine and
  seasonable temperatures.

We bid adios to a vertically stacked upper level low pressure system
that has brought us an unseasonable fall-like chill and the first
stretch of three sub-70 degree days in August at Burlington since

i think it was a CC attributable meander...  ( i can guarantee there is a misconception that attribution is limited to those circumstances that make for dystopian headlines ... but the insidious nature is that it's probably taking place in subtler ways more so than not - albeit unknowable to common experience, and even some of these PHD clowns)

there's an interesting paper about this out there where meanders are shown, using climate modeling/super computing, toting cold to mid latitudes  at varying scales. they are causing huge temperature variations across relatively short time spans ( intra seasonally..).  

this strikes me pretty clearly as relatable to all that - ultimately oblivious due to the non-injurious nature.

• Like 1