• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
August "Ughust" 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

This ain’t my kind of coc man. I’m sitting outside in long pants and a sweatshirt with a hot thermos filled with coffee struggling to keep warm. Nah, you can take your chilly cocs and put ‘em where the sun don’t shine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Weenie 5

12 minutes ago, Snowedin said:

This ain’t my kind of coc man. I’m sitting outside in long pants and a sweatshirt with a hot thermos filled with coffee struggling to keep warm. Nah, you can take your chilly cocs and put ‘em where the sun don’t shine. 

Tell us how you REALLY feel. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Snowedin said:

You’re probably not alone Snowedin. Stay warm, as always….

IMG_0655.png

IMG_0656.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Snowedin said:

Light yourself a nice little fire. You'll feel better.

Six days with lots of clouds and forecasts of significant rain.  What we got was six days averaging 68/56 and a whole 0.11", not enough to make a puddle.  We don't really need the rain, but if it's going to be cool and cloudy, I wish it would do something.  "Pee or get off the pot" as the old saying goes.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Good ol' sheet drizzle today.

Cyclonic NW flow makes a lot of snow in the winter and just miserable weather any other time of year :lol:.

1.61" past few days in Stowe with 2"+ west of the Spine.

491198447_Screenshot2024-08-22153753.jpg.bc61464e8c2930580645aaa1111d8171.jpg

How much is tourism down up there? The weather has been god awful. A couple summers like this one can do some serious damage. "Vermont? Are you kidding? It's always raining "

4 minutes ago, kdxken said:

How much is tourism down up there? The weather has been god awful. A couple summers like this one can do some serious damage. "Vermont? Are you kidding? It's always raining "

Tourism is always booming, ha.  To be honest it’s a little down but not much, following economic factors.  Like AirBnB down nationwide slightly.  Coming out of the COVID travel rush the past couple years too.

Its always rained in the mountains in the summer… some more than others.

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Tourism is always booming, ha.  To be honest it’s a little down but not much, following economic factors.  Like AirBnB down nationwide slightly.  Coming out of the COVID travel rush the past couple years too.

Its always rained in the mountains in the summer… some more than others.

A toll on tourism

The summer washout took a toll on Vermont’s $3 billion tourism industry. In a typical year, 13 million people flock to the small state of 647,000 people to enjoy hiking, biking, leaf peeping and skiing. This year, summer tourism was down 10 to 15 percent"

This is from last year. Do you think this year was better?

44 minutes ago, kdxken said:

A toll on tourism

The summer washout took a toll on Vermont’s $3 billion tourism industry. In a typical year, 13 million people flock to the small state of 647,000 people to enjoy hiking, biking, leaf peeping and skiing. This year, summer tourism was down 10 to 15 percent"

This is from last year. Do you think this year was better?

10% sounds about right from last year.  This year isn’t quite as bad from what I’ve seen but still down from the first couple post-COVID years.

I don’t think it’s all weather though like I said.  I think we saw a post-COVID boom that pumped visitation for a couple years and water is starting to find its level too (no pun, ha).

I guess the metric would be comparing tourism nationwide or in a variety of areas to the VT tourism metrics… if everywhere is down a bit, then I think it’s less weather and more outside economic factors.  Inflation, less disposable income, etc.

I know AirBnB nationwide has been down decently in advanced bookings and they are a good indicator.  Their stock is down like 39% past 6 months due in part to a recoil in travel/vacations even worldwide.

We expect winter tourism to be a bit muted too by a few percentage points even if weather/snow is normal… because of some of the economic factors going on.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

10% sounds about right from last year.  This year isn’t quite as bad from what I’ve seen but still down from the first couple post-COVID years.

I don’t think it’s all weather though like I said.  I think we saw a post-COVID boom that pumped visitation for a couple years and water is starting to find its level too (no pun, ha).

I guess the metric would be comparing tourism nationwide or in a variety of areas to the VT tourism metrics… if everywhere is down a bit, then I think it’s less weather and more outside economic factors.  Inflation, less disposable income, etc.

I know AirBnB nationwide has been down decently in advanced bookings and they are a good indicator.  Their stock is down like 39% past 6 months due in part to a recoil in travel/vacations even worldwide.

We expect winter tourism to be a bit muted too by a few percentage points even if weather/snow is normal… because of some of the economic factors going on.

Good take. You would know better than I since it's your business. Hardly a study but I did poke around a little. Lots of airbnbs available at what looks like discounted rates.  Although I don't use it so I don't have much of a baseline. 

What I do know something about is green fees. Both Green mountain national and Woodstock are wide open for the weekend. That I think it's a matter of price. I love Green mountain national but not at $150. 170$ for Woodstock is just stupid.

7 minutes ago, kdxken said:

You can't have everything you would like. Although on that I tend to agree with you. Don't want to be at the beach when it's 70.

Well Dave said Mid 70’s…And with full sun like it was, that’s fine.  If it was Just 70 even,  then ya, that can get a bit cool.  

We were in Florida at the beach in April, and it was sunny and 76, and it was perfect.   But I get it…everybody has different preferences. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, kdxken said:

Light yourself a nice little fire. You'll feel better.

That’s what I did. I still have pile of sticks and branches from last winter/spring to get rid of so I burned 3 hours worth.

it was cloudy and not all that warm all day, so the warmth from the fire was nice. Downside of burning that crap is it takes about 15 minutes to get rid of a cart full of stuff. So it’s work, but the beer helped

• Like 2
  • Haha 1