Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
August "Ughust" 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

13 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

At the very least cut a check for the 18yrs of premium payments. Start there. I called over the CT news channel 3 and gave an interview for my friend lol. He was too pissed to talk to them.

Awful damage. That pool rail and 4x4 pilings all bent was crazy to see. 

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Awful damage. That pool rail and 4x4 pilings all bent was crazy to see. 

Yea. I don’t know what they will do. They had a very nice pool. He’s leaning towards cleaning up and rebuilding what he can, then sell and move, if he can’t get a good amount of aid. Their property is not inside a flood zone either which makes all the more shocking.

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. I don’t know what they will do. They had a very nice pool. He’s leaning towards cleaning up and rebuilding what he can, then sell and move, if he can’t get a good amount of aid. Their property is not inside a flood zone either which makes all the more shocking.

Yeah. Homeowners rarely covers flooding like this.  Same happened in Leominster last Sept. FEMA stepped up big time but it took a while. 

my sister is still assessing damage

21 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Do umbrella policies cover flood damage outside a flood zone?  I always assumed that's what those were in place for.

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Just helped our friends down the street with clean up and the real effed up part is the home insurance company hasn’t sent an agent out out to assess and have basically told him over the phone their policy they’ve been paying 18yrs into does not cover floods. Contact FEMA and good luck. 

Flood insurance is never covered by regular homeowners policies.  Of course many of the specific flood insurance policies are just as bad.  My boss paid flood insurance for years, thought she would be covered only to be told that because the water only got to 30" on her first floor, that's all they would pay for.  Even though all the electrical and insulation had to be replaced.  It is bullshit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Just helped our friends down the street with clean up and the real effed up part is the home insurance company hasn’t sent an agent out out to assess and have basically told him over the phone their policy they’ve been paying 18yrs into does not cover floods. Contact FEMA and good luck. 

https://www.fox61.com/article/weather/what-to-know-flood-insurance/520-5d872e48-b702-4f0a-b913-324f1c17537e

https://www.fox61.com/article/weather/severe-weather/connecticut-lamont-request-federal-declaration-emergency-recovery-deadly-floods-damage/520-3e0ba725-6ae2-4225-8b01-2e1f9a0c892

Before cleaning up any damage it is important to document the damage by taking video and photos. 

It is well known that homeowners insurance generally doesn't cover flood damage. Many agents will suggest adding flood insurance just in case of a natural disaster. Natural disaster insurance can also be purchased.

I highly recommend that every homeowner meets with their insurance agent prior to renewing a policy. Many homeowners are underinsured but they do not know it. Always take the time to read the entire policy including the fine print. If you do not understand something then consult with a lawyer.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Do umbrella policies cover flood damage outside a flood zone?  I always assumed that's what those were in place for.

Unless specifically stated in the policy it does not cover flood damage. Usually umbrella insurance covers injury or property damage that you cause to others. In general it is liability insurance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tamarack said:

PWM averages high 60s, and Brunswick would be a bit above that - farther NE and its airport isn't right on tidewater.  Like most of SNE, PWM's snow has been pitiful this decade, running in the 40s.
If he's entering Bowdoin, check out the nearby Bowdoin Pines.  Not true old growth but very impressive.

Cloudy night kept temps above 50 instead of that SNE fake cold.  :D

Speaking of pines. I noticed this one today while working. 10 ft 8 inches in circumference. Would that be considered big in your neck of the woods?

20240821_122102.jpg

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

Speaking of pines. I noticed this one today while working. 10 ft 8 inches in circumference. Would that be considered big in your neck of the woods?

20240821_122102.jpg

You need to give me a clear understanding about what you do and how you make a living. Do you have acres and acres of woods and just cut down wood to sell?

20 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Ohhh so that’s why this ULL came… it was your vacation.  Makes sense now, you’ve had some tough ones over the years.

20 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Take a ride east. Lots to do around Winni.

We went to Winni yesterday… it was okay, weather again was bad.

Feels like October here 

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You need to give me a clear understanding about what you do and how you make a living. Do you have acres and acres of woods and just cut down wood to sell?

Had some help today. She just turned six . She likes using the winch.

image000004.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

20240821_122102.jpg

I have this biggie out in the back woods. There’s a few whoppers.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

We went to Winni yesterday… it was okay, weather again was bad.

Feels like October here 

Well, where did you go? What did you do? I could tell you what to do. There’s a bunch of good restaurants, breweries stuff to do hikes all sorts of things.

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

20240821_122102.jpg

Growing up, we had plenty of gigantic pines like that in a new-development neighborhood. Not sure why the developers left them in, but Gloria took care of more than a few :D Crashing into homes

37 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

This is the woods roughly, minus about 10 acres out front. I am pretty sure the circled pine is the one in the earlier picture.

land2.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yeah. Homeowners rarely covers flooding like this.  Same happened in Leominster last Sept. FEMA stepped up big time but it took a while. 

my sister is still assessing damage

The shit part is he said he couldn’t even get flood insurance because they are not in a flood zone. It wasn’t available to him. Does that even make sense? I may have heard that wrong.

He’s a vet so it’s through ASA or something…I overheard when he was on the phone cursing them out. 

• Like 1