Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
August "Ughust" 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

ORH was -8.5F for the day yesterday.  
+0.8F for the month.   The next few days will dew damage. 

Yesterday’s -9 departure locally at MVL was the lowest negative departure day since April 25th.

We haven’t see this type of relative cold to climo in almost 4 months!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Patrick-02540 said:

Yeah.  I have run the a/c as early as April, late as November.  And I have had the heat and wood stove going as early as early September, and as late as June.  Nothing wrong with firing up the stove on a cold damp June evening.  Of course, much is this is also driven by aesthetic considerations.

• Like 1

I would love to have the time at some point down the road just to data crunch various locations across the region. I know this has been discussed before, but when trying to recollect from memory how weather was in the past, the recollections may not be entirely accurate, however, this weeks cool shot has me thinking. 

We are starting to view these summer cool shots as anomalous. Now, departures of -6, -7, and so forth, are certainly anomalous but too me it seems these shots are becoming less frequent during the summer months. Again, this is all coming from memory and experience and my experiences only date back to the 90's. Obviously hot and humid weather is no stranger to this region. It happens every summer and every so often we get our extreme range of heat/humidity (upper 90's/lower 100's) and dews well into the 70's. But those periods would often be brief...maybe 3-4 days and then we would get a strong FROPA and airmasses like this would filter in and they would stick around for several days until we got another surge ahead of the next FROPA. 

Not sure if this makes any sense at all but it seems we are becoming so accustomed to long stretches of above-average temperatures and humidity that these shots seem to be a shock. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I would love to have the time at some point down the road just to data crunch various locations across the region. I know this has been discussed before, but when trying to recollect from memory how weather was in the past, the recollections may not be entirely accurate, however, this weeks cool shot has me thinking. 

We are starting to view these summer cool shots as anomalous. Now, departures of -6, -7, and so forth, are certainly anomalous but too me it seems these shots are becoming less frequent during the summer months. Again, this is all coming from memory and experience and my experiences only date back to the 90's. Obviously hot and humid weather is no stranger to this region. It happens every summer and every so often we get our extreme range of heat/humidity (upper 90's/lower 100's) and dews well into the 70's. But those periods would often be brief...maybe 3-4 days and then we would get a strong FROPA and airmasses like this would filter in and they would stick around for several days until we got another surge ahead of the next FROPA. 

Not sure if this makes any sense at all but it seems we are becoming so accustomed to long stretches of above-average temperatures and humidity that these shots seem to be a shock. 

Locally here…

Since May 1st:

+9 or greater departure days… 34 (max of +18)

-9 or lower departure days… 1  (-9)

That should sort of sum up where we are at, haha.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Locally here…

Since May 1st:

+9 or greater departure days… 34 (max of +18)

-9 or greater departure days… 1 (max of -9)

That should sort of sum up where we are at, haha.

It really is insane. It's not like we're slightly skewed towards above-average, above-average not only dominates but the above-average departures at times are just ridiculous...and even that isn't really a here and there type ordeal, it's more common than uncommon. 

But what I would like to do is this:

• Look at the major climo stations across the region and look at the month of July for the periods of records. 
  • Get or compute the 30 year averages of high/low for each day of the month for each climatological period (1991-2020, 1981-2010, 1971-2000, etc.).
  • Create a tally of all high/low temperatures for each day of the month.
    • For example, July 1: how many days had highs 100+, 90-99, 80-89, 70-79, etc. Low of 80+, 70-79, 60-69, 50-59, etc. 
    • From this data you can visualize what your lowest percentiles and highest percentiles are. 

Anyways, though what I would be super curious to know is, during previous decades what was the distribution like of below-average temperatures versus above-average temperatures (and those ranges). For example, lets say average high at BDL on July 1 is 85F (which actually I think its right around there). I would like to see every single July 1 high temperature for the period of record. What I would have to wager is, if you were to look back into say the 1940's through the 1970's...what is the distribution of highs for July 1? Then compare that to the distribution of the last few decades. I wonder if there would be any clear signal. 

This can be done in Python I'm sure in 15 minutes but I don't know Python and my brain isn't equip with learning it. Hell, these plots may even be able to be generated on the Iowa State page. Great site but I wish it was a little more user friendly.

Plus, its fun to crunch numbers :lol: 

• Like 1

Yeah you just can't win in New England when it comes to weather boredom. We don't get canes or severe like we used to so just have to enjoy the occasional downpour. Winter used to be the only season that wasn't boring but now it doesn't even stay cold anymore in the winter like it used to and snow is less frequent. We got very lucky in the 2010s with snowfall and now the 2020s are the new 1980s. 

• Like 1

"big heat" climo's in pretty steep decline/return rate, anyway.   By that we mean a T of at least 95 F    I've personally observed that only two or three times by September 7, which is under three weeks from now - little perspective.

we could still get some impressive HI's, though.  80s with TDs to 70 isn't too exotic. 

having said that...  this cc -related aspect may modulate some.  we could set up a marginal heat look and then get a synergistic goose.  but even if so, we are losing sun power

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

GFS fucking up our week next week.

I think Tip may have made a post about this yesterday or the day before but the past few years (and actually I believe he mentioned this has been a thing over the past decade-plus) have been intriguing with these omega-like patterns/closed low signals in the medium range which ultimately verify during the late spring and late summer. But just seeing how the models in the long-range are evolving the pattern may be a sign that we are beginning the seasonal transition process in the northern hemisphere. Jet also looks to become a bit bleak....going to be some boring wx overall for the foreseeable period.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I think Tip may have made a post about this yesterday or the day before but the past few years (and actually I believe he mentioned this has been a thing over the past decade-plus) have been intriguing with these omega-like patterns/closed low signals in the medium range which ultimately verify during the late spring and late summer. But just seeing how the models in the long-range are evolving the pattern may be a sign that we are beginning the seasonal transition process in the northern hemisphere. Jet also looks to become a bit bleak....going to be some boring wx overall for the foreseeable period.  

Every time heights try to rise we get the same pattern to repeat shunting the heat away .. not sure what we did to deserve this weather purgatory 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Yesterday’s -9 departure locally at MVL was the lowest negative departure day since April 25th.

We haven’t see this type of relative cold to climo in almost 4 months!

As you already know, departures are greatest in the cold months and the difference is large. 
Our greatest August daily departures are +13 and -14.  For December it's +28 and -36.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ma blizzard said:

Every time heights try to rise we get the same pattern to repeat shunting the heat away .. not sure what we did to deserve this weather purgatory 

Just about everytime there is potential to build in big heat here it gets shunted away. It's been a big theme these last several years. Obviously there have been some occasions we've been able to do it. 

But this has me thinking about winters. We've clearly been in a major rut with winter and it seems no matter the ENSO phase or what, we keep getting the same crap patterns. Obviously this will change at some point, but I wonder if we'll need to see changes with how patterns evolve during the second half of summer first (and when that happens that will be a precursor for better winters). 

The entire global circulation needs a major shakeup. Something has to happen somewhere to get the bowling ball rolling. I know there is a ton of research coming out on this (which I haven't dug into much yet) but you really have to wonder exactly how much of an influence the increased wildfire smoke/recent volcanic eruptions are factoring into this. During the transition seasons, there are major chemical processes which undergo in the upper atmosphere with ozone and this is when the stratospheric polar vortex begins to take shape. But if you're throwing all this smoke and particulates into the upper atmosphere, this has to elicit/change chemical reactions which are occurring and it must impact pressure circulations. 

Just helped our friends down the street with clean up and the real effed up part is the home insurance company hasn’t sent an agent out out to assess and have basically told him over the phone their policy they’ve been paying 18yrs into does not cover floods. Contact FEMA and good luck. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Just helped our friends down the street with clean up and the real effed up part is the home insurance company hasn’t sent an agent out out to assess and have basically told him over the phone their policy they’ve been paying 18yrs into does not cover floods. Contact FEMA and good luck. 

It's such a bullshit business. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Lame fire 

16 hours ago, powderfreak said:

His next photo is two cord of wood just roaring with 20 foot flames.

16 hours ago, kdxken said:

You don't know your fires do you? City folks smh. Those coals are black locust. Burn beer cans faster than even you can drink 'em.

Two pallet wide pit is how we roll in the country.

Screenshot_20230418_154947_Photos.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

They do it every year. Suddenly late August is winter to them . Frankly, it’s just plain weird. 

Broke back as we stated a week ago. It's over except for some stray 90s the US Tennis Open week as usual. You end winter in Feb why wouldn't summer end in August? Signs everywhere now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Did you vote for Ned?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Weenie 1