Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
August "Ughust" 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

I don’t see any purple ones in that picture?  

And how do you know when they pop back up again in the spring, that tells you when they left in the fall?  Can’t figure out that reasoning. But Maybe it’s just me? 

Yeah I know it’s kind of deceiving as the ones that are called purple don’t actually have much of that color on them. That plus the females have a much duller color scheme which is natures way of making them less of a target for predators. And for me, it’s just the sound they make which is unmistakable. When you hear a a whole bunch show up at once, it sounds like a tropical oasis. It’s just  crazy though, I don’t remember seeing this many in our yard this consistently for practically weeks on end. It makes me wonder how much climate change or perhaps different migration routes are playing a role.

25 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Only the water by Logan is like that. That’s the only site he uses in MA. Notice he doesn’t site BDL or BDR or HFD

Why would I use Connecticut weather stations? I live nowhere near Connecticut.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

How far are you from BOS?  *I honestly don’t know so it’s not a loaded question lol.

Are you like the 128 belt?

The woodyard where I spend the majority of my day is 17 miles from Boston. My house is in southborough which is about halfway between Boston and Worcester. Boston has gone negative and Worcester after today is likely less than a degree above average. Split the difference, maybe I'm a tad over normal. Nothing like some of the recent years where we were getting four and five degrees above normal.

• Thanks 1

I have the week off and with it being a nice cool day, I went in the yard to do some weeding and other jobs.  My labradors stirred up some wasps, I think each got a sting.  I got stung about 10 times on my legs.  Spent the rest of the afternoon icing the bites down and napping by the TV.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, klw said:

I have the week off and with it being a nice cool day, I went in the yard to do some weeding and other jobs.  My labradors stirred up some wasps, I think each got a sting.  I got stung about 10 times on my legs.  Spent the rest of the afternoon icing the bites down and napping by the TV.

Bastards! I hate them with all my being.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

lol… beautiful lake and area but the weather has been an absolute dud so far.

barely cracked 60 today and saw the sun for the first time on the trip 

Ohhh so that’s why this ULL came… it was your vacation.  Makes sense now, you’ve had some tough ones over the years.

• Haha 6

14 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Take a ride east. Lots to do around Winni.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

You still have a few days left right? Did you go to sculptured rocks? Spent much of my misguided youth in Bristol. If you run across a late '70s Subaru wagon stuck on a stump with the VIN number chiseled off it's not mine.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Snowedin said:

Yeah I know it’s kind of deceiving as the ones that are called purple don’t actually have much of that color on them. That plus the females have a much duller color scheme which is natures way of making them less of a target for predators. And for me, it’s just the sound they make which is unmistakable. When you hear a a whole bunch show up at once, it sounds like a tropical oasis. It’s just  crazy though, I don’t remember seeing this many in our yard this consistently for practically weeks on end. It makes me wonder how much climate change or perhaps different migration routes are playing a role.

I think those are house finches…not purple.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ohhh so that’s why this ULL came… it was your vacation.  Makes sense now, you’ve had some tough ones over the years.

I wish he’d plan a whole month up here in January.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I think those are house finches…not purple.

Eh you could be right. I do have a hard time making the distinction between the two sometimes. Either way, the finch season of yore continues. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, klw said:

We had some build a nest inside of a cushion on the porch chair that must have has a little split in it in order from them to get in there. My wife saw the cushion looked weird and when she flipped the cushion, they went berserk, she got stung. So, I figured I'd wait til nighttime to spray them, but my nosey dog had other ideas and stuck her nose in the cushion, not sure how many times she got stung but she ran as fast as I've ever seen her.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Snowedin said:

Eh you could be right. I do have a hard time making the distinction between the two sometimes. Either way, the finch season of yore continues. 

Looks like maybe some pine siskins in there as well. We”ve had a ton of those this year.

• Like 1