Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
August "Ughust" 2024 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

sorry... I'm just a cave man and these  common vernacularisms of typing escape me ... but 'ehhh' comes off as flippantly dismissive of people being shocked by this.

Everyone very much should be shocked and appalled at a foot+ of zero notification explosions of water.  

I'm bustin ur balliez a little here .. but seriously, there's nothing about Friday that suggested anything like this.  

We seem to be in an era now where a whole dimension of atmospheric phenomenon can not be foreseen by this state of technology that's in place.  fascinating   

If only we had looked a little more in depth on Friday we would’ve seen a dozen towns breaking the CT 24hr precip record.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

sorry... I'm just a cave man and these  common vernacularisms of typing escape me ... but 'ehhh' comes off as flippantly dismissive of people being shocked by this.

Everyone very much should be shocked and appalled at a foot+ of zero notification explosions of water.  

I'm bustin ur balliez a little here .. but seriously, there's nothing about Friday that suggested anything like this.  

We seem to be in an era now where a whole dimension of atmospheric phenomenon can not be foreseen by this state of technology that's in place.  fascinating   

I get what you're saying. I wasn't coming across saying the signal was there Friday for rainfall totals like this or anything close to this. The only thing I was saying was it shouldn't have been a surprise there would be heavy rain today...that's all. 

Flooding events are extremely unique. One aspect of forecasting that is a big struggle is the forecasting of rainfall totals, especially in setups which involve stationary/occluded boundaries and when there is training involved. And this isn't a fault of anyone, it just goes to show challenging these situations are and this gets into your last sentence there. 

What also is intriguing about this is, how many times have we seen forecast models overstate rainfall totals during certain setups, but then in setups like these they just completely bomb? Clearly, we need to better understand the physics and processes behind this. There will certainly be some re-analysis done on this event when everything is looked it, it will be obvious how we got to this. I think Sey-Mour Snow  already showed some of this. What we need to figure out is how do we take the after analysis to make the forecasting/awareness better? We always seem to understand how things happened after the fact, but we struggle with the before. 

9 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I get what you're saying. I wasn't coming across saying the signal was there Friday for rainfall totals like this or anything close to this. The only thing I was saying was it shouldn't have been a surprise there would be heavy rain today...that's all. 

Flooding events are extremely unique. One aspect of forecasting that is a big struggle is the forecasting of rainfall totals, especially in setups which involve stationary/occluded boundaries and when there is training involved. And this isn't a fault of anyone, it just goes to show challenging these situations are and this gets into your last sentence there. 

What also is intriguing about this is, how many times have we seen forecast models overstate rainfall totals during certain setups, but then in setups like these they just completely bomb? Clearly, we need to better understand the physics and processes behind this. There will certainly be some re-analysis done on this event when everything is looked it, it will be obvious how we got to this. I think Seymourwx  already showed some of this. What we need to figure out is how do we take the after analysis to make the forecasting/awareness better? We always seem to understand how things happened after the fact, but we struggle with the before. 

I don't yeah I'm not sure that's possible without some sort of innovative thinking ... maybe even savantistic special order insight.  

The present era of technology appears to be incapable.  To many times these things are occurring where antecedent indicators were blind to them going off - all over the world with alarming increasing frequencies, involving not just rain. I mean weird wind.  Strange atmospheric boogie man bullshit.  These are blind shot events.

Heh, sounds like a good intro to a sci fi.  Only problem is, the proportions of that are essentially true.  hahaha

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I don't yeah I'm not sure that's possible without some sort of innovative thinking ... maybe even savantistic special order insight.  

The present era of technology appears to be incapable.  To many times these things are occurring where antecedent indicators were blind to them going off - all over the world with alarming increasing frequencies, involving not just rain. I mean weird wind.  Strange atmospheric boogie man bullshit.  These are blind shot events.

Heh, sounds like a good intro to a sci fi.  Only problem is, the proportions of that are essentially true.  hahaha

Every aspect of life seems to have improved with technology except weather modelings! Why doesn’t it seem so bad or so inconsistent?? 

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I don't yeah I'm not sure that's possible without some sort of special innovative thinking ... maybe even savantistic special order insight.  

The present era of technology appears to be incapable.  To many times these things are occurring where antecedent indicators are blind to these them going off - all over the world with alarming increase frequencies, involving not just rain but weird wind.  Strange atmospheric boogie man bullshit.  These are blind shot events.

Is it possible that the processes behind these type of events are just so small-scale that modeling is unable to resolve them (even the highest resolution grids)? Today was largely a product of back-building and the process behind back-building are such small scale I don't think our technology is that advanced yet to model this process. 

I guess maybe one positive about the increasing frequencies of such events is that with enough studies maybe something can be developed in the near-future as we continue to better understand them. 

12 minutes ago, Modfan2 said:

Every aspect of life seems to have improved with technology except weather modelings! Why doesn’t it seem so bad or so inconsistent?? 

Mm ..I understand the frustration.  But, the vagaries of wind, and the weather that transpires because of it, that is not like controlling electrons along imprinted wafer chips and so forth - which is the technology you refer to when acknowledging 'life's advantages' for having access to it.  

Try to make this brief but,  Quantum Computing technology has been recently proven possible, to the extent that it is actually almost ready to leave the lab and head to beta environments.   People don't really grasp what Quantum Computing really is - it's difficult for the every day intellect to wrap their mind around that.  Not saying that is you ...or any of the other of the best and brightest current readers ( ;) ), but tech as we know it ( computation in computing) is still and always has been about faster and faster computing binary, 1 vs 0 ... On or off.  Instructions carried about in dizzying speeds, granted - so fast that no one reading can really conceptualize how fast a terabyte of date done in a second really is..

QC doesn't run instructions to solve problems. 

QC knows all the possible answers.  instantly. 

I just gave this rhetorical run-down to say ...maybe QC has an fantastic horizon in the field of spontaneity - to wit, the vagaries of the wind are so highly subjected to chaos.  The spontaneous emergence, which has its horizon in the quantum field.